Bummed a warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummed a warning

This is not ment as a woe as me post but intended as a warning. I foun out the har way 30lb of inedible meat that all mixes are not created the same. I puchased a Cabelas Chrizo kit on sale and had to try it. I fried a small piece and thought it was not up to my standards and added some spice to make it what I thought it should be. After the usual finnishing packaging and cooking I found the only spices I could taste were the ones I put into it. There was a strong chemical flavor and it looks like we now have plenty of dog food. Buy a rycheck book or similar and make your own spice packets to go in your Meat.

This was a cheap lesson,,,, compared to some I have learned in the past,,,, so lear from a rookie fresh sausage maker....

Good luck

on sale should of been a clue. was there a experation date on it?

if it was still under that date, i would pitch a b*tch to em.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Wow... bummer deal. I guess I have never used a pre-mixed spice pack. Now I guess I probably never will.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Those spices will certainly lose flavor over time. Not a bad idea to go through your own spice collection and throw out the old stuff before your tempted to use it.
        Keith

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for passing along the info.
          Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
          1 Maverick ET-73
          1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
            Those spices will certainly lose flavor over time. Not a bad idea to go through your own spice collection and throw out the old stuff before your tempted to use it.
            What you said..got plenty of antique spice tins. Louie is tough with meat, don't care what it cost's I want that one!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Funny part of this is,, the casings were awsome. so after doing some math I ordered 10 more packs because I could get the casings out of the packs so cheap

Comment

Sorry to hear about that. Here, all of the spices are fresh. Any extra spices get frozen then used for cooking. I have never tried pre-mixed to make sausage.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                  I did just that while I was down a my parents place a while ago. I found some spices in there that were dated in the early 1980s!!!!!! Some of them didn't even have barcodes on 'em, if that tells ya how old they are.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Damn... thats a bad deal lots of work to end up with sub par goodies. Keep it fresh and grinding on...
                    ________
                    korean girl Cams
                    Last edited by Smoke Doc; 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rio_Grande View Post
                      This is not ment as a woe as me post but intended as a warning. I foun out the har way 30lb of inedible meat that all mixes are not created the same. I puchased a Cabelas Chrizo kit on sale and had to try it. I fried a small piece and thought it was not up to my standards and added some spice to make it what I thought it should be. After the usual finnishing packaging and cooking I found the only spices I could taste were the ones I put into it. There was a strong chemical flavor and it looks like we now have plenty of dog food. Buy a rycheck book or similar and make your own spice packets to go in your Meat.

This was a cheap lesson,,,, compared to some I have learned in the past,,,, so lear from a rookie fresh sausage maker....

Good luck
                      I have always felt that inspiration is a by-product of failure. When I fail at something, I like to figure out why, and alter the method or in this case recipe to succeed. I also think some of the best recipes are not complex at all.
                      I buy prepackaged seasoning, in fact I have a pile of it for many different sausages. Some are real good, others.......not so good. I have found that of all the different brands, Legg's is about my favorites. I use them when the urge strikes. On the same token, I will use my own recipe. I guess it just depends on my mood and maybe time.
                      Chorizo is one of those that I haven't found a good premix for. So I came up with my own about 20 years ago. You can try it if you want. It's very simple.

1 lb ground pork butt
                      1 Tbs + 1 tsp chili powder
                      3/8 tsp garlic powder
                      1/4 tsp table salt
                      3/8 tsp onion powder
                      3/4 tsp black pepper
                      1 1/2 Tbs Red wine vinegar
                      Don't worry about paprika, it's in the chili powder. However if you think it needs more, just add it.

Combine all ingredients, refrigerate covered over night, next morning stuff into casings of choice or fry up some patties for breakfast. Mmmmm or better yet chorizo con huevos.

Tom

Comment

I hear you brotha gunny... I purchased a few packets of Cajun seasoning from Louies Finer Meats... Those links were not fit for a dog... I guess I should have purchased Cajun style seasonings from someone in Louisiana instead of Wisconsin...

I do like LEMs packets... There's are good other than the snack stix..
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                        X