Shrimp Boil......Gumbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp Boil......Gumbo

This last weekend was the 33rd annual Pigs Unlimited Swine N Dine on Treasure Island FL. I got to put the " new" smoker to the test. Friday night is kind of a smaller sit around and talk (drink) kinda night so I did a shrimp boil. I have lost the pic of the shrimp served steaming in a tray. But here is a pic of the left overs.

Started the fire Sat morning at 5a, food on by 6am.

Two butts, one brisket and two pork tenderloins sliced in thirds. Soon to be joined by two dozen chix thighs, ten venison sizzlers and another small brisket for burnt ends. I didn't get pics of the loaded smoker but it was loaded and worked great. (Sorry but I got a little busy and the camera was left in the room)
    One if the tenderloins sliced the next day.

We had some weather challenges..rain and I discovered I can take the top off of my smokestack and wheel the smoker right under my shade tent. Not ideal but I don't loose heat that way. I guess I should mention while this is going on we are frying 10# of fresh Grouper, 5# of venison strips, hush puppies and okra. And grilling hot dogs n burgers and had Red Bean's and Rice on the 3 burner, I also cooked up pork belly and tenderloin burnt ends. And re-heated the tropical ABT's, which were great, no suffering from freezing. I wish I had some pics of the spread but....no.

Back to the subject at hand - Shrimp Boil Gumbo.
    When you do a shrimp boil you either have not enough or too much - no matter how you plan it. So I choose to err of the "have too much" side. But what do you do with the left overs. Here again are the left overs.

Now separated out.

On the side 1 cup peanut oil and 1 cup flour on a hot burner for roux.

The corn cut from the cob.

The onions and taters.

Add 1 1/2 cups water to the roux, add the taters and onions and turn loose the immersion blender.

Add the corn to the mix.

And serve with the shrimp (peeled). I kept the shrimp seperate to keep them from overcooking, added them to the top cold..

Creamy flavor of shrimp boil and gumbo. Ohh and looky there, a wee bit of grilled salmon - fresh Sockeye again.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Just beautiful Mark. Kudos...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

that is one great looking feast !! Congrats
      Scarbelly

Comment

That is some fine eatin right there!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Love me a good Gumbo...Nice job Mark

2 Weber Kettles
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
          Brinkman ECB
          Charbroil 940X
          Project UDS
          Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Oh Yeah Mark...... That's some Great looking eats right their
            sigpic

Comment

I'll be damned.. Never seen anything like it.. I bet it was good too..
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                Real good last night, tonight and a bunch in the freezer - and neither have I. I do a boil 3 to 4 times a year and always have leftovers. Now the shrimp is easy, ya peel um and eat em but I hate throwing the veggies away. So I've been thinking about this for bout 3 months (since my last boil). I almost made it after the last one but i got busy..... I originally intended to do it in a cream sauce but I got to thinkin about creole cookin, it just seemed like roux was a natural. Me tummy happy!
                It's really easily influenced. I put some sliced smoked tenderloin in with a bowl for lunch, an entirely different taste - still real good.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

thats just so freakin wrong... now i am stravin'
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I think I could eat a trainload of that.
                    I am going to try that really soon.I'll be wifey's hero just one more time!

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

But what do you do with the left overs.
                      I was just thinking: 'eat them for breakfast' lol

Your soup stuff looks interesting too.

Looks like a fine coupla days
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Wow! Everything looks superb I bet it was absolutely tasty. What a great few days of smokin' cookin' fun.
                        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Wow

That's some great lookin food ! But where's the Gumbo???
                          Bob
                          South Louisiana
                          Old New Braunfuls offset
                          Charcol ECB
                          09 MES 40

Comment

It started off to be a gumbo...but then I got the immersion blender in there and it ended up lookin more like a chowder. But it doesn't taste like a chowder with that roux. Love the taste but hate the stirring. I tastes like gumbo that got mixed with with a shrimp boil. That is was I was aiming for. It's not a pure proper gumbo but it tastes like one. BTW is was shrimp cause I can't always get spillway.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              never seen anything like it either but it looks like a good corn and shrimp soup .
                              Bob
                              South Louisiana
                              Old New Braunfuls offset
                              Charcol ECB
                              09 MES 40

Comment

Working...
                              X