Here's a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a question...

Has anyone ever baked a cake or cupcakes in a BBQ pit? I know all kinds of other deserts have been done, butt has anyone ever pulled this off?

The reason I ask is, our oven is busticated and we need to replace the whole dang outdated stove. It's gotta wait for mo' money to come in. Next week is my grandson's 3rd birthday, and he wants cupcakes! Being that the pizza was such a huge hit, I'm wondering if I can pull this one off... KupKakes on the Klose... hmmmm...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Interesting....I'm thinkin you can pull it off Jeep Daddy! That avatar Rock's!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I probably wouldn't use hickory but 350* is 350*, so there's no reason it shouldn't work. Besides, if there's enough icing on it, kids will eat anything.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth View Post
        I probably wouldn't use hickory but 350* is 350*, so there's no reason it shouldn't work. Besides, if there's enough icing on it, kids will eat anything.
        I 100% agree and will also add that the Mad Hunky might not be a good choice with cupcakes either.

On Edit: Hey Hawg, awesome avatar, I just noticed that !!!
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

or just use a Dutch oven........we have.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

[QUOTE=MossyMO;136962]I 100% agree and will also add that the Mad Hunky might not be a good choice with cupcakes either.

I dunno..... ...... I would give it a shot..... Have not missed on anything yet....
            sigpic

Comment

I baked buttermilk biscuits on the grill when the power was off. Came out great. Give it a shot.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Phil I have made a berry cobbler on the CG and it turned out great...Got the idea from DJ's site...check with her...Im sure she will set ya right...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Never done it nor do I know squat about stick burners. So now that I have established my credentials . . . here goes.

That's where the ol' Afterburner H burner on the SnP comes in handy. Want just heat? Take out the smoke wood. Now that I've established my credentials AND provided some completely useless advice . . .

I say go for it Phil. Build the cleanest fire that you can and bake 'em. Don't see why you couldn't.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

ya know i would be willin to bet that using an indirect cooking method those weber kettles would do it in a heart beat. you may want to rotate mid cooking time? you gotta share some pic's of this experiment
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Hell Phil you know you are gonna have to try it now, even if your busticated oven gets sufixticated, just to say you did. Let us know how it turns out.
                      JT

Comment

heat is heat, not sure about adding smoke.
                        But a wood fired oven is a wood fired oven and that's all people had to cook on for thousands of years.

Just remember - don't open the oven/klose for the first 15-20 mins or it'll sink :-)

As long as you can get it hot enough - and if pizzas work then cakes should too - should work fine

And telling the kids the birthday cake was cooked in the klose will earn you extra grandad points as well
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                          or just use a Dutch oven........we have.
                          WD has the right idea. You could do it on the stove top too. Google "pan baking recipes."
                          They made many, many cakes and breads on the trail in dutch ovens and other CI cookware, over open fires. An oven wasn't something the pioneers had on the trail. Think about cattle drives too.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                            Think about cattle drives too.
                            MMmmm, cattle drive with biscuits and gravy.....
                            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Here's some interesting ideas.
                              http://www.outdoorcook.com/article1036.php
                              http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm

sigpic
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              New Braunfels Hondo
                              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                              1-26" Weber Kettle
                              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Working...
                              X