Roll out the barrel(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll out the barrel(s)

I have been working with my neighbor to get my drum built. Pretty well along now and wanted to put up some pics of my UDS and helper. I met my neighbor at an outing in St. Joe put on by some guy from Battle Creek, small world. Jerry has been a big help and sure knows his way around tools and his shop! Thanks Jerry, can't wait to finish this project and have you over for dinner some time soon.

Welding and grinding away.

The pope amongst his subjects. Kind of a cool pic.

Not my drum, but an interesting conceptual design with removable bottom. That should help keep Jerry's shirt clean.

Thanks for checking out my build!
    sigpic

Now I'm digging that. Love the remote damper... gonna do that with mine I think. And the welded shelf support. Damn, wish I could weld.

Hey metalheads... I DO have a brazing setup. Will that suffice?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I think brazing would be fine on the outside higher up portions of the UDS. Never thought of trying it though. Don't tell my misses, I been back to welding again when she ain't home.
      sigpic

Comment

Sweet barrel build. That baby is coming along well and looks clean. You are going to enjoy the heck out that UDS.
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

I like it! Gonna do some stuff to mine when it cool's down....
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks great! Pretty fancy stuff you welders do to a drum.

One thing though . . .

Originally posted by SmokinTim View Post

You may want to shorten the pins that the top rack sits on. Other wise you have to tilt the top rack quite a bit to get it in and out. And if you do this with meat on it, you risk the meat sliding off the rack hypothetically speaking of course. Or maybe not.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Good "Heads Up" Dave ......... Hey Tim, get Jerry to join us on here.... I wanna see more Pope pics
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                Looks great! Pretty fancy stuff you welders do to a drum.

One thing though . . .

You may want to shorten the pins that the top rack sits on. Other wise you have to tilt the top rack quite a bit to get it in and out. And if you do this with meat on it, you risk the meat sliding off the rack hypothetically speaking of course. Or maybe not.

Dave
                We installed the grate to check for size and cut them to 1 1/4" with the grinder and then smoothed the edges. We did both drums at once while the tools were out already. Jerry takes no shortcuts and is a professional. Then we installed the remote damper, shelf bracket, and thermometer mount on mine. Have to weld in the steel flange for a good lid fit, built a fire basket, prep and paint. The rolled steel for the project came in yesterday and the grates arrive today. Hoping to finish up and start prepping Monday for a Labor Day smoke out!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Good "Heads Up" Dave .
                  Originally posted by SmokinTim View Post
                  We installed the grate to check for size and cut them to 1 1/4" with the grinder and then smoothed the edges
                  Are they 1 1/4" in the pic? They sure look longer. My top bolts are 1 1/4" and it's not too bad as long as I'm careful.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                  X