I Finally Found Some RO Lump!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Finally Found Some RO Lump!

Had to stop by the local Wal Mart this afternoon because Mrs. DDave needed to pick up a few things. Figured I'd wander around the BBQ/grill section to see if there was anything interesting. Found some 12" thermos, figured I'd grab one to replace the one I bent last week. .

Went around the corner to the charcoal section and saw the legendary RO lump in the red (Made In USA) bag!! I have heard so much about it but gave up looking for it I've never seen it in stores around here before.

I grabbed a bag but have not decided what to do with it yet. Lump can be a little unpredictable in the UDS given the size variability. I haven't charcoal fired the SnP since I converted it to propane with the Afterburner two years ago.

But I'm thinking I might have to do a charcoal smoke in the SnP now that I've found some good fuel. And the fact that my charcoal firing abilities are a little better now than they were back then should help too.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

My Vote is for Tri-Tip ........ Had one from Costco last weekend that was marinaded at the store that a buddy did..... Over-Cooked a bit for me, but the flavor was Great....
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      I grabbed a bag but have not decided what to do with it yet. Lump can be a little unpredictable in the UDS given the size variability. I haven't charcoal fired the SnP since I converted it to propane with the Afterburner two years ago.

Dave
      I use RO lump and RO briquettes together for that very reason, about 30-40% lump. I have 120 lbs of Kingsford briquettes but won't use it for anything but short cooks anymore because the high amount of ash makes problems for the burn. Also RO briquettes alone raise cooker temps 20-25° over what I get with Kingsford, when I add the lump it's even better.

Guess I'll use the Kingsford up eventually for grilling, where the shorter times mean all the ash isn't suffocating the fire
      Last edited by DennyD; 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM.
      DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        My Vote is for Tri-Tip ........ Had one from Costco last weekend that was marinaded at the store that a buddy did..... Over-Cooked a bit for me, but the flavor was Great....
        Hmm . . . tri-tip over lump is good stuff.

Back when UDS 1.0a still had the flat top, I did a tri tip over Lazarri mesquite lump. Laid a layer of lump down in the charcoal basket and dumped a lit chimney full on top of that. Temp on the Teltru short-stemmed thermo was close to 425° on the side so it must have been 450° - 475°+ in the center. That was before I had the Thermapen. Had to get a lot closer to read the slow-ass "insta" read I had at the time and just about cooked my face to medium rare in the process.

Tri tip came out great though.

But I'm thinking more along the line of a longer cook to give me some time to relax with the smoker and tend the fire a bit. Work has been crazy. We implemented a new student information system this school year and my phone has been ringing off the hook for the first two hours of every school day for the last 10 days or so. Not that I really mind, after all, that's what I'm there for. But I could use some quiet smoker time for sure.

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Butt(s)
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Let us know how big the lumps are and how they run in the drum

Comment

Brisket!! It'll give you 12-13 hours and candy when you're done. Referring to burnt ends of course!
              DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                Butt(s)
                Possibly . . . I'm leaning towards ribs or some CSRs though. Sixish hours plus a good warmup.

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
                Will do, although I'm not sure if I'll use any from this bag in the drum.

Originally posted by DennyD View Post
                Brisket!! It'll give you 12-13 hours and candy when you're done.
                Well, I'm afraid that 12 - 13 hours might take the fun out of tending the fire.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
                  Well, the lumps are sized from marbles to baseballs and everything in between -- although not round. Pretty standard for lump though at least from what I have seen.

I'm using it straight on a rib smoke in the UDS as we speak. I would not recommend doing it that way unless you are available to babysit your drum. Temps are wandering all OVER the place. Again, that's what I would expect given the different sized chunks.

I did not take any time to try and break up the bigger ones to a more unifirm size. Plus the smaller ones are pretty small anyway. Maybe a mix of lump and briquettes would be better but I'm too lazy for that. I guess I'll just stick with straight Kingsford Comp in the UDS. I am interested in a charcoal smoke in the SnP with RO lump though. I'll have to give that a go one of these days.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Well, the lumps are sized from marbles to baseballs and everything in between -- although not round. Pretty standard for lump though at least from what I have seen.

I'm using it straight on a rib smoke in the UDS as we speak. I would not recommend doing it that way unless you are available to babysit your drum. Temps are wandering all OVER the place. Again, that's what I would expect given the different sized chunks.

I did not take any time to try and break up the bigger ones to a more unifirm size. Plus the smaller ones are pretty small anyway. Maybe a mix of lump and briquettes would be better but I'm too lazy for that. I guess I'll just stick with straight Kingsford Comp in the UDS. I am interested in a charcoal smoke in the SnP with RO lump though. I'll have to give that a go one of these days.

Dave
                    I dont use that brand,but all the little/crushed pieces are saved for chicken grilling on kettle....I do try to make pieces uniform....

I could definetly see some temp spikes lifting lid on a UDS etc...My WSM doesnt spike like that...

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                      I dont use that brand,but all the little/crushed pieces are saved for chicken grilling on kettle....I do try to make pieces uniform....
                      That's a good idea. Do you use a smaller grid to hold them in the kettle?

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                      I could definetly see some temp spikes lifting lid on a UDS etc...My WSM doesnt spike like that..
                      Not so much temp spikes . . . the 13.5" difusser is taking care of that.

It's more of temp wandering over time even with the lid on for a given amount of intake as smaller pieces ignite faster and burn quicker than bigger pieces which start slower but burn longer.

Not the end of the world today though as I can keep an eye on it. Would not want to trust it to an overnight briskie cook though.

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

That's a good idea. Do you use a smaller grid to hold them in the kettle?

Dave
                        I use 2 bottom grates that are criss-crossed....I have 2 extra kettles(webber) i rescued and my go too one...Some of the smaller particles fall thru and burn on bottom of kettle...I just make sure vents are clear etc...Usually a fast cook and blockage is not problem etc...With all the comp cooking i have quite a supply these days of smaller,crushed lump...

Comment

Well I went out this morning to clean the UDS and after burning RO lump for 9-1/2 hours there was practically NO ash. I mean, there was a little, but WOW -- that's pretty awesome.

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X