using a waterpan in an offset smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using a waterpan in an offset smoker

when i designed the "great northern manifold" for my brinkmann/charbroil offset, i deliberately made sure there would be room on the primary manifold to accomodate a waterpan:

i even went so far as to move the handle back far enough so that one would fit, even though it resulted in the handle being slightly off the center of balance.

this, of course, was a sentimental nod toward my barbecue beginnings, using an ECB. i figured that it would be good to at least have the option there, in case i ever needed a little extra buffer of protection from direct heat, or to help stabilise temperatures a bit when using lump charcoal.

but, since getting the manifold, i never actually USED a water pan in there - i did my smoking "dry," and things seemed fine, so no need to change, and no real reason to speculate or fiddle with things....

at least not until recently, when i did go ahead and give the water pan a try. the decision to do so wasn't based on the considerations above, but rather because i got to reading a discussion about "wet bulb temperatures" and their effects on barbecue:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....topic2373.html

(there's a link within the link above that is also worth reading)

anyway, i'll be the first to admit that i only understood about half of what i read, but it did get the wheels turning, and i reasoned that, as long as cooking temperatures are high enough to avoid the formation of creosote, a good amount of moisture might improve smoke penetration, smoke ring formation, texture and, ultimately, flavour.

so, with that in mind, i added boiling water to a large foil breadpan at the head of the manifold during my last two smokes (a pork butt and a picnic shoulder) and maintained my cooking temperatures well above 225 at all times (an average of 242). with both of these, i did perceive some significant improvements in the "smokiness" of the meat, in that it seemed sweeter-smelling and more wrap-around-your-mouth savory as if the smoke did penetrate better. no creosote problems, no "smoky ash tray" smells or tastes that my wife sometimes complains about. the meat was also good - juicy, tender and moist, but this is to be expected with pork shoulders and all of their juicy fat and collagen breaking down. I didn't really notice a huge improvement in the smoke ring itself, but then again, i wasn't really looking and comparing, either. i can tell you that one was there, for sure, and it was, at the very least, reasonably deep as any other i've done.

the next step in this journey will be to try it with ribs and, ultimately, a brisket, if my wife will ever let me buy one again (they're getting EXPENSIVE!).

any thoughts, observations or experiences from anyone else?
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-01-2012, 04:06 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

I built my reverse flow with that in mind and tried it once, then smoked the same thing without. Didn't seem to make any difference so I never looked back, no more water pan. But then it is reverse flow, when I had baffles in my Brinkman I had to use a water pan to help even out the temps and help with moisture.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

When I first got the Klose, I fabricated a baffle at the firebox end... a really hot spot. This is not a reverse flow, so you get the pitcher. I made the baffle such that a water pan could be placed on it, to help keep that end a bit more cooler. It does work rather well. Lately tho, the Klose has been assigned to be a pizza oven, so the water pan is not in play...

What ever works for ya', just do it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
        the decision to do so wasn't based on the considerations above, but rather because i got to reading a discussion about "wet bulb temperatures" and their effects on barbecue:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....topic2373.html

(there's a link within the link above that is also worth reading)

anyway, i'll be the first to admit that i only understood about half of what i read,
        Ahh . . . the wet bulb dry bulb discussion. Takes me back to my days as a lumber dry kiln operator.

The wet bulb temp, in relation to the dry bulb temp is just a way to measure humidity. Older controllers actually had a "sock" that hung into a water pan and was fitted over a temperature sensing bulb to measure -- hence the term "wet bulb".

and you should be paying attention to the wet bulb temperature inside your cooker
        That's an interesting comment since you basically can't control it. You either have plenty of water in the pan or you don't. To control it in the dry kiln world, you open the vents to lower the wet bulb temp and closed the vents, and in some cases injected steam into the kiln, to raise the wet bulb temp. There is really no independent way to control humidity in a smoker to a fine degree.

A water pan will increase the moisture of the air and will decrease the rate at which the meat will give up its moisture. If left on long enough, the meat will continue to give up moisture until it reaches EMC with the air.

So for a given normal cook, it would stand to reason that the meat will end up moister than if it was cooked in a dry atmosphere. Comes down to personal preference I guess.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

well, i dont even know where to start this conversation.
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
            Ahh . . . the wet bulb dry bulb discussion. Takes me back to my days as a lumber dry kiln operator.

The wet bulb temp, in relation to the dry bulb temp is just a way to measure humidity. Older controllers actually had a "sock" that hung into a water pan and was fitted over a temperature sensing bulb to measure -- hence the term "wet bulb".

That's an interesting comment since you basically can't control it. You either have plenty of water in the pan or you don't. To control it in the dry kiln world, you open the vents to lower the wet bulb temp and closed the vents, and in some cases injected steam into the kiln, to raise the wet bulb temp. There is really no independent way to control humidity in a smoker to a fine degree.

A water pan will increase the moisture of the air and will decrease the rate at which the meat will give up its moisture. If left on long enough, the meat will continue to give up moisture until it reaches EMC with the air.

So for a given normal cook, it would stand to reason that the meat will end up moister than if it was cooked in a dry atmosphere. Comes down to personal preference I guess.

Dave
            some good thoughts, dave, along with some good practical application as well. none of it made much sense to me, but what i deduced was about the sameas what you said. rather than trying to understand it, i simlply provided a more humid atmosphere.

so we can safely assume moister meat - any thoughts on flavour/smoke penetration or smoke ring?
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

i probably should have made a couple of things more clear above:

i've been getting great bark using this method - i'm not turning it into a steam bath, just adding some humidity to the party. the pulled pork has had excellent crust with the savory explosion of flavour that is to be expected. the only time i've ever lost the crust is when i've foiled the meat in question (which i hardly ever do), or when i put the meat in heavy, covered cookware (such as a dutch oven) to finish in the oven.

also, as the cook progresses, the water pan "simmers" (for lack of a better term) down to almost nothing - with, i am assuming, a corresponding drop in humidity.

in any case, i've noticed no "overly-moist" effects from using the water pan, just a deeper, moister end product that seems to have more smoke intensity without being "too" smoky. keep in mind, this is for a horizontal offset wood/charcoal smoker.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                in any case, i've noticed no "overly-moist" effects from using the water pan, just a deeper, moister end product that seems to have more smoke intensity without being "too" smoky. keep in mind, this is for a horizontal offset wood/charcoal smoker.
                Sounds like it's working for you.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

some other notes, "for the record," in case anyone is interested:

i had a couple of PMs about where i put the water pan - as far as placement, if you look at the picture above, i've been placing mine right between the 45-degree angle of the primary manifold and then handle - the space there is perfectly placed to put a large loaf pan, and the water in there is held at a bare simmer for several hours. i can add water if i wish, if it comes close to running dry, or during long smokes i can simply remove the pan and let a brisket or pork shoulder spend its last couple of hours in dry heat.

i dont' think it would be accurate to say that it tastes smokier, but rather that the smoke flavour is deeper and richer - somehow more fulfilling and satisfying. hard to explain.

this last weekend, i used the water pan to try two racks of spare ribs, along with 15 mad hunky-brined chicken leg quarters and a mess of CSRs. the ribs were done in a way that has been outstanding, employing a yucatan method that incorporates naranja agria, achiote and many exotic-yet-simple flavours that are perfect for pork:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....topic2145.html

results were very similar to my tests with pulled pork: moist, flavourful meat with a great smoke ring (nearly all the way through) and good, crispy bark. once again, the "smokiness" wasn't overpowering, but it wrapped around the ribs and other meats perfecly, providing a wonderful, rich old-timey taste without being oppressive, bitter or as my wife used to say, "like an ashtray." she is normally not a fan of my barbecue, but she did love the ribs done in this yucatan style, so it is worth trying.
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Interesting. I just did my first bunch of ribs (3 racks of spares) with out the water pan in my MES. Very disappointed. They were dry and tough. I will definitely go back to my water pan filled with beer. Not scientific at all, but all my results have been much better with the moisture introduced.
                    A few of my favorite things:
                    Good Whiskey
                    Good Food
                    Bad Girls
                    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                    Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

it's worth a try, for comparison - then after trying it, a person can make an evaluation.
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                      X