First smoke on the UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First smoke on the UDS

Sorry, didn't get many pictures this time around. But I got the ones that count.

This was my first time smoking on the UDS, so I figured I'd go for gold. I picked up a 16lb beef brisket from Restraunt Depot the other day. In my MES, I'd be lucky to get one half that size in there.

I used a yellow mustard and then a rub treatment on it about 10 hours before it went on. The rub consisted of a mix of the leftover Chucky rub I had left over from the last chuck roast I did (which was a mix of Mad Hunky and home made Montreal) , plus a little more homemade Montreal seasoning, and the last of a brown sugar based rub I had leftover from the last brisket I did.

After some coaching from some of the more experienced UDS guys here, I got my temp under control and the briskey went on over RO lump and skeet chunks, getting a spritz of black cherry soda every 1-1.5 hours until I went to bed. I tried to keep the temps btw 225-240 and it worked out pretty well. As a side note, this was also my first overnight smoke.

I took it to 160 IT and foiled it with a little black cherry soda. Then I took it to 185 and wrapped it in a towel and into a cooler it went to rest for about 3 hours before slicing. I resereved the liquid and added a little more black cherry soda and a little beef broth to the sliced meat and covered it. When my peeps came over for dinner, I put the covered try in the oven for about 30 min @200 to warm it back up.

The results, well... see them for yourself:

Just before slicing:

First couple of slices:

And a closer look at my very first smoke ring!

I was VERY happy with the results, the flavor was rich and the meat was very tender and juicy.

I had thawed some venison steaks that I intended on using last night but didn't, so I had to make them, so I started up the coals again and brought the temp up nice and hot. I marinaded the steaks in Dales seasoning and I threw a couple more chuncks of skeet onto the coals. Grilled them up hot and fast on the UDS and they were "melt in your mouth" tender and very flavorful.

Didn't get any pics of the sides, but I browned some homemade (from a friend) pierogies in butter and onions. Also had some green beans and mashed taters.

It was a lot of food, but we put a healthy dent in it. Plus, I planned on having some leftover brisket for an upcoming pot of chili, and a guy's gotta have lunch to take to work right?

Thanks for lookin'
    “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
    - G. K. Chesterton

Char Griller 7474(w/SFB), UDS, WSJ Mini-drum conversion, MES 30

Hehehe... lookie the noob go! Wings have started the third..so I'll be short. (heh what else COULD I be?)
    You missed the cut across grain. No biggie...could have been tenderer. Still..pass a slice to three for the third!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice Job Hani!
      sigpic

Comment

Holy CRAP, MAN!!

That is freakin' AWESOME!!!!

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
        Sorry, didn't get many pictures this time around. But I got the ones that count.
        That brisky turned out BEAUTIFUL!!

for that one for sure.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          You missed the cut across grain. No biggie...could have been tenderer. Still..pass a slice to three for the third!
          You know what, you're right. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I guess it was even more tender than I thought!

I don't know how I didn't catch that, both when I was slicing it and when I was eating it. I know better than that too! I guess I was too excited to dive into it.
          “Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist.
          - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

You know what, you're right. I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. I guess it was even more tender than I thought!

I don't know how I didn't catch that, both when I was slicing it and when I was eating it. I know better than that too! I guess I was too excited to dive into it.
            I'm blaming the delirium that I had earlier today!
            - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

That is superb....Man...first smoke ring and UDS cook too....

[I] assume you were a gasser/elecrtic user then...

Comment

SCORES! OT Z-Dude!
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Look atcha go!! Nice looking brisket and look at the smoke ring That does deserve
                  and Fish you got me with that pic of Jeff lol i was like shit i cant get away from that damn site ahaha

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                    you were a gasser/elecrtic user then...
                    Yep, I have a MES 30.
                    - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I'm blaming the delirium that I had earlier today!
                      Bro..I don't blame ya. Still a beautiful hunk of beef. Sometimes I think comp cooking has ruined some of my appreciation of the "good things"

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Bro..I don't blame ya. Still a beautiful hunk of beef. Sometimes I think comp cooking has ruined some of my appreciation of the "good things"
                        No hurt feelings, I am a little embarrassed that I let that get served. I still don't know how I ended up slicing it that way. I guess I had my mind elsewhere, oh well, no one complained, they were too busy stuffing themselves full!

Honestly, I appreciate the input. I wouldn't mind getting into a comp or two someday. If I don't gain 400lbs "practicing!"
                        - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

nice brisky.
                          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                          cast iron Hibachi
                          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                          & rotisserator
                          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                          my music recordings-
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Great brisky work! Killer smoke ring man. You like how the UDS worked for ya? I have had the chance to cook on one, once or twice. I'm a believer. I too, have briskys cut along the grain plastered on the pages of S-M.
                            I blame it on marinating the chef, the rough overnight cooking circumstances
                            Rocked this one Hani
                            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

That is very nice looking.
                              sigpic

Char-Griller Outlaw w-SFB & (mods)
                              30" Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse

Comment

Working...
                              X