Weber Kettle Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Kettle Questions

The 26'r is being delivered today and I plan to assemble it and burn a chimney of charcoal in it to burn it off tonight. Then I plan to cook all weekend on it. I have been grilling for years but I have very limited experience with charcoal. I know I will have to spend time learning, experimenting, and just finding what works for me but I have some questions to help get me started......

1. Direct vs Sear/Reverse Sear- I bought a vortex and I see it is commonly used to sear or reverse sear steaks and pork chops. Does anyone use it for things like burgers or boneless skinless chicken breasts? Or are those typically done direct?

2. I have found more than enough ways to smoke in a kettle but what do the people here do? Bank of coals on one side? Snake? Anyone using fire bricks or is that unnecessary? Water pan?

3. Anyone put gasket material on their kettle to better seal it?

I have a lot to learn and can't wait to jump right in. I look forward to sharing my successes (and failures) and to learning from everyone.

I do indirect on my 22" kettle usually by using the vortex, wide end down, and sometimes I do the snake method with the vortex wide end up and the food over the vortex. For ribs I use a bank of coals on one side unless I use my UDS. I don't think gasket material will be a big help unless yours has a terrible seal right out of the box. For steaks, I do a quick sear over the vortex and finish indirect with a temp probe. I never cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a grill as they dry out too quickly. I prefer to spatchcock the bird and cook it indirect at 350° so the skin will be crispy.
    MES 30"
    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
    Weber 22" kettle
    E-Z-Que rotisserie
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Big Weber Gasser
    Cracker Smoker
    UDS

Comment

Congrats on the new grill ! Hope to answer some of your questions. I prefer using lump charcoal like Royal Oak over Kingsford mainly because lump burns hatter and leaves very minimal ash compared to the huge pile of ash Kingsford leaves behind.

1. Never used a Vortex, but this is what I like to do, on a Kettle I prefer both direct and indirect heat, I like putting hot coals on one side of the grill and sear the meat directly over the coals for just a minute or two, then move it to the side with no coals and put the lid on and grill it for as long as it takes to get your meat to the temp you like.

2. I like putting a narrow pan directly in the center with a little water or apple juice in it, and yes, put the coals on one side. If your new Weber comes with the grill rack with the side hinges, it makes it really easy to add charcoal during a long smoke. I do a turkey on mine every Thanksgiving.

3. I've never used a gasket on my Weber but I do use it on my offset smoker, most Webers seal pretty well, but thats basically your decision if you feel you want to use it, it can't hurt.

Enjoy your smoke ! :)

Brinkmann Smokin' Pit Deluxe: heavy gauge, modified
      Weber 22.5 Gold
      Weber Smokie Joe

"Racing Cars and Smokin' Q, what else is there to do ?"

Comment

that V will cook perfect burgers. Set them around the V to get them close to temp..then over Hell for the finish :{)

PS DO NOT reach across the Vortex But you will... once er..well..twice.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Play and have fun you will figure it out... indirect for wings rotate the vent 90* every 15 minutes...

the splatter will help seal things up over time... no need for a gasket if you ask me..
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

When I'm not using my Vortex most of my grilling adventures are done with the coals piled up on the East side of the grill...It's an OCD thing I think...

I prefer searing my meats and then finishing indirect...Just works best for me...Beef, pork, chicken...It's all good...

And many folks limit their Vortex experience by thinking of it as only a wing cooker...I have cooked everything from chops to meatballs to seafood...Veggies to bread to desserts...The Vortex is limited only by your imagination...And it doesn't always have to be in the center of the grill...

You're gonna love your 26er...Wish I had one...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

/\ /\ What these fine Gentlemen said
              Learn your heat control with your bottom vents (top vent open) and you will be golden. Once you get the hang of it, you will be amazed at the versatility.

When cooking for more than 2-3, I like to set it up indirect, which gives you both a cooking zone and searing zone. If you have a lot of stuff on your 26'r, you can move things as needed to different zones.

I have "baked" breaded razor clams on an aluminum tray at 500*+ indirect, and smoked a shy 20# Brisket indirect on it, and probably everything in between. You will love it! Congrats!
              sigpic

Comment

The 26" is a great BBQ tool. It will do anything you ask of it. It does require more fuel than the 22" but it works superbly. I have done a handful of packer briskets on mine with the charcoal on the sides in the baskets. I plan on turning mine into a big custom Performer.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                  The 26" is a great BBQ tool. It will do anything you ask of it. It does require more fuel than the 22" but it works superbly. I have done a handful of packer briskets on mine with the charcoal on the sides in the baskets. I plan on turning mine into a big custom Performer.
                  AJ, build me one also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

I hope Weber comes out with one
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                    Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    AJ, build me one also PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

I hope Weber comes out with one
                    And there ya go AJ...Get it done and apply for your patent before Weber comes out with theirs
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

So I'm really bad at remembering to take pictures but we had boneless pork chops marinated in a soy sauce mixture last night and New York strips tonight. Both done with the vortex. Indirect, sear, and finish indirect to temp. Once I get the hang of it I'll finish with the sear. Both were really tender and juicy. I'm a believer.

Just curious.... The pork chops cooked about 20 min indirect and 1 min ea side to sear. Steaks ended up about a half hour indirect and about 1 min each side sear. Depends on thickness and size of meat but is that reasonable? I can't argue with good tasting food. Just wondering if I took it too slow.

Chicken wings tomorrow. Can't wait.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
                        So I'm really bad at remembering to take pictures but we had boneless pork chops marinated in a soy sauce mixture last night and New York strips tonight. Both done with the vortex. Indirect, sear, and finish indirect to temp. Once I get the hang of it I'll finish with the sear. Both were really tender and juicy. I'm a believer.

Just curious.... The pork chops cooked about 20 min indirect and 1 min ea side to sear. Steaks ended up about a half hour indirect and about 1 min each side sear. Depends on thickness and size of meat but is that reasonable? I can't argue with good tasting food. Just wondering if I took it too slow.

Chicken wings tomorrow. Can't wait.

Lot of variables. I personally, cook to temps most of the Thyme, so depending on how your family likes things cooked should be a big part of where you end up pulling things off the cooker. Just my thoughts on the steak, 1/2 hour seems a bit too long, butt hard to tell withoot knowing what cut and thickness you are cooking. Probably an added 20-25 minutes on her steak! Haha, that was a joke. If you have a quick read thermometer, you can really tell where your meat temps are. If you do not, I would suggest getting one.
                        Thermapen is what I personally use, along with a lot of others, butt there are other less expensive options that folks also like.
                        Get some pics up if you can. Love to see the 26'r in action
                        sigpic

Comment

The wife will eat a little pink but not much. She says her steak was done to her liking so I'll take that as a win.

I use a Lavatools javelin pro insta read. I like it so far. Only had it a few months. Much better than the $5 thermometer from Walmart that took about an hour to read a temp.

I think I started with the steaks too far away from the vortex. And I didn't quite use a full chimney of charcoal. A full chimney fills the vortex to the very top. Thinking that extra fuel is needed to really heat the massive space inside the 26 'r.

Comment

Onlyest thing I can add..err reinforce - no gasket! Other than that they gottcha!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              Onlyest thing I can add..err reinforce - no gasket! Other than that they gottcha!
                              I'm impressed with the seal between the lid and bowl. Wouldn't have thought it was that good. I shut both vents and there is a good bit of unburnt charcoal left.

Comment

Working...
                              X