Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southern Meal. California guy needs some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Meal. California guy needs some help.

Cooking for 80 Friday night. Southern style.
    Corn bread? Corn Meal or corn flour or both?
    Collard/Mustard greens. Ham hocks or not?
    JT

I got nuthin’. But whatever you cook I bet they love it
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cornbread. We use Martha White self-rising white cornmeal mix. 5lb. bags. Already has baking powder in it. Add milk and an egg. No sugar.
      We raise turnip and mustard greens together. Gotta have some smoked ham hock to get the great flavor. Maybe add a little sugar to cut the bitterness. Serve with some pepper vinegar. Several different brands. Usually use tabasco peppers. Cooking any white beans?

Comment

http://www.marthawhite.com/recipes/s...cornbread-2630
        I don't use the Crisco. Just veg. oil. preheat skillet at 425 for about 15min. Pour excess oil into mixed batter and stir well. Pour into skillet and bake about 20 min. Sometimes add a spoonful of mayo. Helps to keep it moist.

Comment

Glory brand makes some really good canned greens if you want some sometime and can't find fresh. Seasoned nicely, have red pepper flakes to give a little bite.

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
            Cooking for 80 Friday night. Southern style.
            Corn bread? Corn Meal or corn flour or both?
            Collard/Mustard greens. Ham hocks or not?

Dammit JT, sure wish you had popped in sooner.. Texas cornbread is yellow cornbread.. There is Sooooooo many home recipes you cannot go wrong with out there.. Now the Greens, if you are looking to make from fresh for 80 folks.. You have a chore on your hands of taking fresh mix of greens and cleaning and rinsing before cooking.. You are better off going with the Glory Brand Mixed Greens as Big A posted.. They are my go too...

I would be happy to help more but your days may be numbered before the event..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah I had to go with google and past experience on the greens. You are right Ken. Whipped my ass but I did them from scratch. Mixed Collards and Mustard greens. Cooked off 6 pounds of bacon. Reserved half the fat. Sautéed the rest with onion an garlic. A shit ton(the technical term) deglazed the pan with chicken stock and added that to a shit ton of cleaned chopped and destemmed collard and mustard. I'm tired. Ha!
              Got pics of the rib cook I'll post them here when I wake up. It worked. As always. I just follow the foundations you all taught me years ago. And no matter what I cook, it always works out.
              JT

Comment

Oh and the corn bread,, , sorry guys and gals. Ran out of time. Prepackaged mix.. it was ok but opted for extra attention on the bread pudding with pecan brown sugar glaze. I hope you all agree with the compromise heh heh!
                JT

Comment

Working...
                X