Poblano's.... when to harvest...Hot Cherry peppers too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poblano's.... when to harvest...Hot Cherry peppers too

So as crappy as the season was for growing this year I have a really nice crop of both poblano's and hot cherry peppers.
    I'm try to let them both ripen to a nice red color on the vine, but it there a big difference if I start harvesting green one's?
    The poblanos I like to smoke and dry for use in chili and other thing through the winter. My first time growing cherries so I was going start pickling some, but every farm stand I see has them out green and not red, are they better green?

Thanks
    sigpic

The cherry peppers I would definitely want as ripe as possible...But the green ones will still have some value (heat)...Just a different flavor...

The Poblano peppers are great either way...Red ripe and dried they are called Ancho peppers...The unripe green peppers are used for chile rellenos...Either way they taste great...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Craig!
      sigpic

Comment

what craig said.........
        sigpic
        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Well they're calling for a frost tonight so I thought I'd pick most of my most of my poblano and cherry peppers, ended up with over ten pounds. still a lot out there. if the frost ain't to hard I should be able to pick another 5 pounds before the real cold sheet gets here.

This isn't all of them, only the ones that that I could stack in the bowl.

I see a lot of smoking and dehydrating in my future..
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

it was a bitch stacking them horizontally.
            sigpic

Comment

dry those cherry peppers up and grind to a powder... very good stuff!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Dayum... 10 pounds of backyard deliciousness... Hope it plays out better than mine.. Smoke Peppers ✓..... Dehydrate Peppers ✓... Grind Peppers in the house ✓.. Bad idea.. I was Kacking and coughing for hours...

Looking forward to seeing some greatness..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Poblanos is one pepper that has kicked my butt year after year...I can harvest pounds of them off of just two plants but still not get one single pepper that is the size that you have there...I finally gave up...If I need poblano peppers...I know where to buy em

for poblanos
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

nice looking peppers............stuff the poblanos and pickle the cherry's...............
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                      stuff the poblanos and pickle the cherry's...............
                      Already got some pickled cherries, plan to dehydrating and grinding some and freezing some whole. Never tried that before.
                      Most of the poblanos will be smoked and dehydrated, and will be roasting and freezing the rest.
                      The good news is they survived the frost yesterday so the growing season has been extended 10 more days anyways.
                      sigpic

Comment

nice.......
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X