American Culinary Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Culinary Cast Iron

Anybody buy any of these? According to the website the are the company that's left of the merger of Wagner and Griswold cast iron brands. They also offer Wagner Ware aluminum cookware as well.

Reason I ask is they offer polished cast iron for what seems like reasonable prices. Might be a decent alternative to Lodge at similar prices, especially if it truly does have a better finish. I'm thinking of trying out one of the 10.5 inch polished pans just to see if they are any good.

Is it too good to be true?

http://www.wagnerware.com/
    Bored Guy Blog

I don't know. I thought Griswold bought out Wagner, then Griswold went out of business... Maybe acquired the rights??? Lemme check with some folks that might know sumptin.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

My Cousin that collects CI, says "my money would be on imported cookware. That largest skillet is $45 and in comparison, lodge on sale in stores is probably $55 to 60. I didn't see any chest puffing about made in America either. An American made Finex skillet is $125 so if you are looking for the name, don't care where it's made, its probably decent cookware. Its all about the inspection before it leaves the plant."
      He is not familiar with it. The Wagner and Griswold American plants closed decades ago.
      In other words probably Chinese, prolly shouldn't buy unseen. Might be okay if you can look at it. If it is online be careful.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Well I wanna here about it if you buy it...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

That's kind of what I was wondering. I also noticed a lot of "American heritage" on their website but no mention of American made.

I'm going to contact them and ask if it's made in the USA or imported.
          Bored Guy Blog

Comment

That company acquired the rights to the designs and names about 17 years ago. They are an import company. Lots of complaints on the products. In fact some of the look-ups on the business say they maybe out of business and the last phone number no longer works. Also the last address for them is a residential home address they were doing business from.

I think I would pass on buying from them. JMHO
            Jim

Comment

Thanks for the info. The site looks a bit antiquated and that's what led me to post here.

Usually if it sounds too good to be true it generally is.
              Bored Guy Blog

Comment

If a person were so inclined to chuck up a few abrasive disks, they could polish cast iron in their own workshop. There are quite a few videos on you tube, here is one that shows it through stages and it produces a pretty good finish...however, for those prices I'd probably just go with those.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8s0y7AWfZcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Before you buy, Google the owning company and make your decision then.

The actual company name is.....

American Culinary Corporation, Inc.
                  Jim

Comment

Found another interesting option while looking around this morning. Stargazer cast iron. New upstart from a kickstarter campaign but it looks like the real deal. They only offer a 10.5 inch pan and aren't shipping until June of this year but it looks very promising.

https://www.reddit.com/r/castiron/co..._month_review/

http://imgur.com/a/JJLXK
                    Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Jailer,

If smooth polished interior is what you are after you may also look at the Carbon Steel Pans...I got one a couple months ago and have used it every day...it has never seen the inside of a cabinet...It is smooth as glass and slick as teflon...about the same weight as a comparably sized cast iron. I will own more of these before I add cast iron to my stable.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42727
                      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I saw your post as well as gracoman's and have been looking those as an option as well. My only experience so far has been a lodge skillet and I'm less than impressed. Do the carbon steels work good on an electric cook top?
                        Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                          I saw your post as well as gracoman's and have been looking those as an option as well. My only experience so far has been a lodge skillet and I'm less than impressed. Do the carbon steels work good on an electric cook top?
                          Better than cast iron pans. If I needed new pans, I would go steel over cast iron. JMHO
                          Jim

Comment

Carbon steel is a hard sell here.

Perhaps this will help you decide.

Steak sear on my 12" carbon steel pan when it was new
                            sigpic
                            Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                            -AMNPS
                            -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

I love the carbon steel concept. I will own one soon I hope.

Thanks for all of the info!
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X