Backyard Lasagna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backyard Lasagna

I love lasagna but never tried making it before. I don't know why but I always thought it was harder than it really is. So, I broke out the 10" deep DO one week night and gave it a shot.

The recipe I used

1 lb. lean ground beef
    23 oz. spaghetti sauce
    9 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
    3 eggs
    2 c. cottage or ricotta cheese (I used cottage)
    1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
    lasagna noodles (not cooked)
    1 1/2 t. oregano
    3/4 c. hot water

Preheat dutch oven (DO). Brown beef in DO. When done remove beef to a large mixing bowl. Add spaghetti sauce to beef and mix well. In another bowl mix the cottage or ricotta cheese, parmesan and mozzarella cheese (reserve some of the mozzarella cheese for on top), add eggs and oregano and mix well.

Place the layers in the oven in the following order: Cover the bottom of the DO with sauce. Layer lasagna noodles into the bottom of the oven (break to fit). Spread about 1/3 of the meat and sauce mixture over the noodles. Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the meat mixture. Repeat layer. Spread the remaining meat/sauce mixture over the noodles. Pour hot water all around the edges of the DO. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Place lid on oven and bake for 1 hour or until done. Check frequently.

I used 15 coals on top and 7 on the bottom. I also used more mozzarella cheese and I covered the DO with foil before putting the lid on so the cheese wouldn't burn.

Here we go!

Full bed of coals for browning the meat...didn't take long at all.

Someone on a Facebook group said it's a no no to put coals in the middle of your lid or in the middle of the bottom....has anyone else heard that? This is how I've always done it and have never encountered any problems. I did not ask on the Facebook group because...well, people can get touchy.

Dutch Oven Guard Dog!!!

Great recipe, but I'm going to have to work on it...just too much for two people...we barely put a dent in it. One thing for sure, I will not be buying the frozen lasagna anymore!!

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Oh yeah.. It is so easy to make and so good as well.. you can really play with this much like a pizza... you can make "mexican, american, italian lasagna"... the good part about the one you made it that you can freeze and reheat on a night when you dont have time to cook the real thing... So I would say dont cut it down just freeze it!! Great dish!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks great!
      Uncooked lasagna noodles?? Never heard of that.
      I gotta start getting my DO out more often.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

nice,

always impressed with your dutch oven cooking skills.
        Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Awesome cook Becky!
          sigpic

Comment

Right nice! I'll need a salad! And for spacing briquettes...I space em evenly for heat control...done that way since I was a kid. Never heard of not in the middle...I think you got your DO cookin under control & if ya change, may not turn out the way ya want...just me thinkin!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
              Someone on a Facebook group said it's a no no to put coals in the middle of your lid or in the middle of the bottom....has anyone else heard that? This is how I've always done it and have never encountered any problems.

With all the DO cooks you've done Becky? I'd say, "control-alt-delete" on that recommendation. I've never heard or done that.
              JT

Comment

Outstanding!!
                Weber Performer, 26" Weber grill, 18" WSM, UDS, Santa Maria Grill

Comment

Oh yeah. I know that was good.

Never tried it in the DO, but make it just like that in the oven. Try Italian sausage sometime. Used to brown the meat and premix everything like you did, after the kids went to bed. Then the next night, after work, I could whip it together in the time it took the oven to warm up.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Do you ever not rock it Becky? Do you ever have a normal day? J/K girl...great cook! Loved it as usual!
                    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Damn!
                      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

What a great idea. Might try this in a 12 inch pan 2 inches tall, next camping trip.

Could use bacon grease to coat pan......
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                          Someone on a Facebook group said it's a no no to put coals in the middle of your lid or in the middle of the bottom....has anyone else heard that? This is how I've always done it and have never encountered any problems.
                          I've done it both ways and like the perimeter coal method for the bottom and evenly spaced for the top. Especially when browning. It really depends upon what size DO you are using, how full the chamber is and what you are cooking/baking. From what I've seen of your pix, you did it just right. I'm usually burning a #12 or a #14 deep, so the top is most always evenly spaced. When using my #12 bread DO, I stick with the perimeter coals on top and bottom until the end when I'll add coals to the top if necessary.

When cooking a DO lasagna, I like the Barilla "no Boil" lasagna noodles. The smaller sized sheets fit into DO's better and I can use less liquid. Less dilution is always better but 3/4 C of water certainly isn't going to harm anything. I also soak the 'no boils' in water for 5 minutes before assembling.

Now that we have the teknakalaties out of the way, that is one fine looking lasagna young lady. And for a first time? Fuggeddaboudit
                          sigpic
                          Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                          -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                          -AMNPS
                          -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                          gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Dang that looks good! How did the noodles turn out not being boiled first? Was there enough moisture in the other ingredients? From here it looks like it!

Comment

Made a fair share of DO lasagna, but you own it Becky. That looks Killer Ma'am!!!
                              New Braunfels Black Diamond
                              18.5" WSM
                              Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                              18.5 Weber Kettle
                              22.5 Weber Kettle
                              Maverick ET732
                              6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X