Smoked-Meat Forums

Smoked-Meat Forums (http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Tool Crib (http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Poor Man's amazin smoker (http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44633)

Fishbum 12-12-2017 03:16 PM

Poor Man's amazin smoker

When cash is low you make do with what you have on hand. Did a test burn and got right at 4 hours with a little less then half full. Good constant smoke with some hickory pellets I picked up for 9 bucks, 20 pounder. Sized it to fit in my mes 30, not bad for 30 minutes work. Works way better then stock smoke setup. Sorry phone malfunction.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a529b8488b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

devo 12-12-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbum (Post 667419)
When cash is low you make do with what you have on hand. Did a test burn and got right at 4 hours with a little less then half full. Good constant smoke with some hickory pellets I picked up for 9 bucks, 20 pounder. Sized it to fit in my mes 30, not bad for 30 minutes work. Works way better then stock smoke setup.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

interesting

AJ 12-12-2017 06:04 PM

Looks good! How many cuts did you end up with during the manufacturing?

Texas-Hunter 12-12-2017 06:55 PM

Necessity is the mother of all inventions..

Fishbum 12-12-2017 09:07 PM

Poor Man's amazin smoker

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 667433)

None, tin snips my friend, now razor blades are a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapata

THE ICEMAN 12-12-2017 09:16 PM

Nicely done... :thumb: :hail:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 667433)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbum (Post 667445)
Cut a piece 11"x5", measured in 1" from all sides marked that off, cut from outer corner to marked inner corner, folded sides up along lines, bent cut ends around corners. Then made center divider from a piece 8"x 2 1/4" bent into triangle with 1 inch base and wire it to the center bottom of main piece. Finished size 9"x3". I guess you could call it two main cuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would guess he was talking aboot your fingers... :whistle: :cool:

SMOKE FREAK 12-12-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE ICEMAN (Post 667447)
Nicely done... :thumb: :hail:

I would guess he was talking aboot your fingers... :whistle: :cool:

That's why they make pliers and gloves :whistle:

Kicken Asphalt 12-12-2017 09:42 PM

Where did you find material like that

Fishbum 12-12-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicken Asphalt (Post 667458)
Where did you find material like that

Don't laugh but it came from a small trashcan I had stashed back in my greenhouse. Ran across it yesterday. Iknew I saved it for something. And I have enough left over for something else. Any stiff wire mesh would work.

Kicken Asphalt 12-12-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbum (Post 667461)
Don't laugh but it came from a small trashcan I had stashed back in my greenhouse. Ran across it yesterday. Iknew I saved it for something. And I have enough left over for something else. Any stiff wire mesh would work.

That’s way we don’t throw a lot of stuff away, you never know.

Nice job :thumb::thumb:

Fishawn 12-13-2017 01:38 AM

Just curious what kind of materials it was made oot of? Does/did it say on the can you used? I think the process/idea is awesome, butt have heard certain metals and coatings can potentially be hazardous when exposed to heat. Not doubting your fabrications at all. Just curious, and looking oot for the health and safety of all. :thumb:

I AM NOT the smoker safety police, and DO NOT pretend to be such, just curious what materials were used, so others can make decisions based on your information. :thumb:

Richtee 12-13-2017 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbum (Post 667461)

Not so much. Aluminum, galv. stuff would be poor choices. That design will likely twist up some.

The “real” one is heavy stainless. Cross brace supported. there’s a reason it costs a few dollars.

[Personal opinion] Nice to play around, but this is a knockoff of a friend of mine’s design, and I take a dim view of posting such things. [/Personal opinion]

THE ICEMAN 12-13-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richtee (Post 667494)
Not so much. Aluminum, galv. stuff would be poor choices. That design will likely twist up some.

The “real” one is heavy stainless. Cross brace supported. there’s a reason it costs a few dollars.

[Personal opinion] Nice to play around, but this is a knockoff of a friend of mine’s design, and I take a dim view of posting such things. [/Personal opinion]

Question: If he does not wish to market it, is it still a problem? :noidea:

Richtee 12-13-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE ICEMAN (Post 667497)

Din’t say it was a “problem”... just said posting such stuff potentially takes away sales of the genuine product.. In AU, there’s a whole FB group called “Poortex” ripping Thunderdome off... I hate that.

And I said “personal opinion”. Soo..ignore me :lol:

HawgHeaven 12-13-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richtee (Post 667494)

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE ICEMAN (Post 667497)

The guy saved some bucks by doing it himself... cool! Production units? Prolly not. I see no problem here. :noidea:

Richtee 12-13-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawgHeaven (Post 667500)
The guy saved some bucks by doing it himself... cool! Production units? Prolly not. I see no problem here. :noidea:

You don’t manufacture anything for sale either.

And how about the other 12,000 people seeing this and deciding to build one instead of buying?

Richtee 12-13-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter (Post 667436)
Necessity is the mother of all inventions..

Well..it’s the mother of something. In this case..NOT an invention :whistle:

Fishbum 12-13-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishawn (Post 667477)
Just curious what kind of materials it was made oot of? Does/did it say on the can you used? I think the process/idea is awesome, butt have heard certain metals and coatings can potentially be hazardous when exposed to heat. Not doubting your fabrications at all. Just curious, and looking oot for the health and safety of all. :thumb:

I AM NOT the smoker safety police, and DO NOT pretend to be such, just curious what materials were used, so others can make decisions based on your information. :thumb:

It was bead blasted and burned off to bare metal.

THE ICEMAN 12-13-2017 08:20 AM

What? I can't make my own fireworks???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richtee (Post 667505)
You don’t manufacture anything for sale either.

And how about the other 12,000 people seeing this and deciding to build one instead of buying?

So, you're saying you don't want us following your example & making our own incendiary devices??? :noidea: :whistle: :woohoo: