Molcajete Cielo Mar Y Tierra - Caution -Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
    How did you flip that sucker when it was hot? Mine is heavy and I would be afraid of it super hot!
    I assume many of you here own a pair of welder's gloves, or something similar, for working your pits. They do come in handy there as well as here.

Be sure to place the super heated molcajete on a heat proof surface should you do this (and since you already know the dish I'm pretty confident you will). The green chilli seriously began to boil almost instantly after pouring it in.

The heated molcajete will keep the food in it hot for 45 min to an hour.

Get some friends together because this is a fair amount of food.
    Last edited by gracoman; 07-12-2015, 12:41 PM.
    sigpic
    Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
    -AMNPS
    -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
    gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      Not sure you used enough chillis though :-)
      If I'm making pork green chili, I'm making a lot cause we loves it around these parts. One of the pics of this cook features a bowl of pork green chili served with a couple of freshly made corn tortillas cause its that good. It works well to smother burritos with too!
      sigpic
      -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
      -AMNPS
      gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
        I assume many of you here own a pair of welder's gloves, or something similar, for working your pits. They do come in handy there as well as here.

Be sure to place the super heated molcajete on a heat proof surface should you do this (and since you already know the dish I'm pretty confident you will). The green chilli seriously began to boil almost instantly after pouring it in.

The heated molcajete will keep the food in it hot for 45 min to an hour.

Get some friends together because this is a fair amount of food.
        These I am lacking! but now that makes complete sense! The green chili sauce

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

The green chili sauce
          Thanks! That deserves a recipe.

Chili Verde Con Cerdo (Pork Green Chili)

Now there are a bazillion ways to make this and I make it differently every time but there are a few rules, to my mind, and they mostly pertain to ingredients.

Rule #1: Do not stoop to using canned or jarred green chili sauces or, for heaven sakes, green enchilada sauce as a base.
          Rule #2: Always roast fresh chiles over high temps to blacken them. Let them steam and remove the skins.
          Rule #3: Onions. See rule #2.
          Rule #4: Garlic. You can’t have to much garlic. Especially when roasted.
          Rule #5: Pork. Use a bone in pork butt.
          Rule #5: Let the finished chili rest in the fridge for a day or two, or three. It will improve so let it.

The stuff:
          -
4 −5lbs of pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes. Feel free to substitute smoked pork butt for this. It will only be better.

-5 or 6 poblano peppers
          -2 Anaheim peppers

-4-20 serrano peppers. Chiles are funny. How hot they are depends upon the batch. Generally, use 4 for mild. 10 for a decent kick. The more you use the hotter it will be.
          -
4-20 jalapeno peppers. 4 for mild. 10 for a decent kick. The more the merrier.
 Green chili is sposed to be hot. Don't forget that
          -About a pound of tomatillos. Around 8. Depends upon their size. This will translate into 2-3 cans if you gotta use canned.

-2 large white onions sliced into thirds

-1−2 heads of garlic

-3-4 tablespoons of cumin

-2 tablespoons of Mexican oregano

-1 cup of chopped cilantro, divided

-2 cups of chicken broth. Make one of those beef broth if you like.

-1 cup of dark beer

-1/4 cup of masa harina

-Salt, white and black pepper to taste. Lots of freshly ground pepper is good.

-Oil or lard for frying unless of course you are using up some smoked pork butt.

The particulars:
          Remove the husks from the tomatillos, if you are using fresh, and give them and all of the chiles, and onions a good roasting directly over the fire on your grill. Turn them occasionally so the skins all blacken. If you are using canned tomatillos, skip the roasting. They don’t need it.

While all of this chili roasting is going on, you should have a head or two of garlic roasting away on the indirect side cause you’re going to need lots of garlic.

Put the blackened chiles, tomatillos, and onions in a large glass bowl, cover it up, and let that stuff steam for 20 minutes or so.

If your going to fry the pork, now’s the time. Cut it into 1”cubes, and add to a hot dutch oven with some sort of fat in it. You’ll have to do this in batches. Don’t forget the bone. Put a good caramelization on all sides of the pork.

Peel those lovely chiles. You may want to use gloves for the serranos and jalapenos. Throw the skins, stems, and seeds from the anaheims and poblanos out. Likewise, throw the skins and stems from the serranos and jalapenos away but I’d keep the seeds and veins if I were me. And me I am.

Chop the chiles, onions, and tomatillos into chunks and add to a blender with some of that roasted garlic you’ve been dreaming about. Now let ‘er rip. Once again, you’ll have to do this in batches. Add some chicken broth to make the purée easier. It’s going to get awfully thick if you don’t.

*The green chili pictured above was really made to be a sauce for this dish so I puréed the vegetables in a blender. If you would like a more rustic finish, rough chop the vegetables rather than doing a purée. That is what I normally do but it’s all good.

Throw the caramelized pork, the chopped or puréed veggies, chicken stock, dark beer, 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1 tablespoon of Mexican oregano, and ½ cup chopped cilantro all into the dutch oven you fried the pork in. Let that simmer for an hour or so. Don’t forget the bone.

It’s been an hour or so, so add another 1 to 2 tablespoons of cumin, and the other tablespoon of Mexican oregano. Let that simmer for another hour or so.

Now that another hour has gone by, throw in the other half cup of chopped cilantro. Add black and white pepper. Mix the masa harina with some of the chili sauce and mix it into a paste. Add this paste, a little at a time while stirring. It will thicken the chili a bit and add a bit of corn flavor. Let this simmer for 30 − 45 minutes. Skim off whatever fat has formed at the top, let it cool, remove that pesky bone, pack it up and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days.

Oh, and that leave it in the fridge for 2 or 3 days thing? It's not optional. Do it! See Rule #5 above.
          sigpic
          -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
          -AMNPS
          gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

I LOVE YOU!
            Thanks for sharing the recipe. I was wondering if there was any poblanos in there, STRAIGHT to the TOP of the to-do-list!
            You have made my family very happy and they don't even know yet.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

i got near the same molcajete...you have...gig on!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I LOVE YOU!
                Thanks for sharing the recipe. I was wondering if there was any poblanos in there, STRAIGHT to the TOP of the to-do-list!
                You have made my family very happy and they don't even know yet.
                I never could resist a girl with a whip
                sigpic
                -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                -AMNPS
                gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

WOW, puts my little jar of salsa to shame
                  Yoder YS480
                  Maverick 732
                  Tappecue
                  Thermapen

Comment

you don't need welders gloves. I use cheap leather garden gloves for moving stuff around in the smoker.

Cheap, old, left out in the weather, gone stiff to the point the fingers don't actually bend any more, garden gloves :-)

This is still an amazing dish.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I love this Dish,(food). Where did you get the Molcajete (dish)? I have seen a few on the net but nothing that was what I was looking for. This is one of our favorite things to eat, I have ordered it all over town and the little Mexican place in our area aoutside of town knocks it out of the park. Your recipe looks great.
                      sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
                      Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
                      Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
                      Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
                      fire pit in the yard
                      10 & 12 Lodge DO,
                      Maverick ET73, ET732.
                      A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
                      MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        you don't need welders gloves. I use cheap leather garden gloves for moving stuff around in the smoker.

Cheap, old, left out in the weather, gone stiff to the point the fingers don't actually bend any more, garden gloves :-)
                        This is true enough, and it is what I used before moving to a ceramic.

My ceramic cooker is capable of reaching temps well over 1,000°F. There is, of course, no practical reason for allowing it to go that high but a 5-600°F dome temp for pizza is not unheard of. Heavy gloves come in handy at these temps. And the potential for flashback is always hanging around with these cookers since they burn so efficiently.

My cooker also has ceramic heat deflector plates that can get pretty darned hot even at low and slow temps. Moving a 250°F piece of ceramic around doesn't happen often but with welders gloves it is not a problem.

They weren't that expensive as I remember. Under $20 I think, and they should last a lifetime.
                        sigpic
                        -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                        -AMNPS
                        gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Oh wow, one of the coolest posts I've seen in a long time. ! I'd love to grub every bit of that!
                          Don

Humphrey's Pint
                          Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                          Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                          Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                          Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                          Anova One Sous Vide
                          AMPS
                          Purple Thermapen
                          Maverick ET-733
                          DigIQ DX2
                          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by treehorses View Post
                            I love this Dish,(food). Where did you get the Molcajete (dish)? I have seen a few on the net but nothing that was what I was looking for. This is one of our favorite things to eat, I have ordered it all over town and the little Mexican place in our area aoutside of town knocks it out of the park. Your recipe looks great.
                            Thanks for the kind words!

This is not really a recipe as much as it is a technique. You can put anything you want in there and I would have added some nopales if any was available.

I also used pork green chili for the sauce whereas most restaurants will use a more simplified version. But any excuse to make pork green chili is a good one.

Molcajetes are available online at quite a few sites online but you must be sure it is real volcanic rock or basalt. A cheap knock off with added cement might explode when heated and will never stop shedding grit into salsas.

I bought mine at a sporting goods store of all places. There were 2 sitting on top of a shelf covered with dust because they wouldn't sell and hade been in the store forever. The people who worked there didn't know what these bowl shaped rocks were so I picked one up for a song. I got lucky that time.
                            sigpic
                            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                            -AMNPS
                            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
                              Oh wow, one of the coolest posts I've seen in a long time. ! I'd love to grub every bit of that!
                              Thanks!
                              sigpic
                              -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                              -AMNPS
                              gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

That is just fantastic. Wow.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X