No announcement yet.

Need container to store 50 lbs of flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know what your goal is here. If it's long term storage, milled flour has a very limited shelf life. If you want long term storage look at whole wheat berries and buy yourself a grain mill. Whole berries can last for many years. Flour can't. You'll want to use it within the year. Also Whole wheat flour is shorter than white AP because the germ oils can get rancid on you. I think it's like 8 months for whole wheat flour.
    JT

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
      Don't know what your goal is here. If it's long term storage, milled flour has a very limited shelf life. If you want long term storage look at whole wheat berries and buy yourself a grain mill. Whole berries can last for many years. Flour can't. You'll want to use it within the year. Also Whole wheat flour is shorter than white AP because the germ oils can get rancid on you. I think it's like 8 months for whole wheat flour.
      It says its good for a year with proper storage so thats what im shooting for. Its way more than I will use in a year im betting so I want it to last longer if possible. Some places say two years if stored right.
      I could only find high gluten in 50lb bags so was stuck having to go this route.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        I dunno.. Why have a big container to hold 50lbs. of flour when you can make (5) 10lb. vacuum seal bags?? Then that would not take up as much space.. Plus it will keep fresh, not pick up any odors or flavors.. Just thinking out loud..

Frak Ken, ya beat me to the suggestion.

One thing I might add. If you decide to just dump it in a bucket or another type of container, rather than using a food grade liner, there is something better that long term food so-called "experts" suggest -- a mylar type liner. Most long term and survival food storage systems for grains and nuts use mylar inside the containers to shield the food from both light and other crap from causing mold build up. They also use oxygen scrubber packs. The O2 packs are sort of like those little bags that soak up moisture. But in this case they pull in oxygen and release nitrogen. They are slick, if you put grains and nuts in a canning jar, toss one of these in and then put the canning gasket and lid on, you can sit there and watch it suck all the air out of the jar and hear the lid snap creating an air tight vacuum seal. FEMA uses mylar and oxygen scrubber packs in all their food storage systems. USDA uses it also. Thats how they store the stuff for 25+ years.
        sigpic

Comment

Good to know Dave, you would think Sams Club would sell this kind of stuff wth.

Comment

go to your local bakery and ask for 2 / 5 gal icing buckets they have a great rubber gasket and around here they give them away.they are air tight and all you need to do is wash and bleach them out so they down smell like frosting.
            sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
            members mark upright propane smoker
            kingsford bbq
            23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
              go to your local bakery and ask for 2 / 5 gal icing buckets they have a great rubber gasket and around here they give them away.they are air tight and all you need to do is wash and bleach them out so they down smell like frosting.
              Ill call and see if they have any, thanks

Comment

I'd go with bobs suggestion and get a cheap cooler.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  I'd go with bobs suggestion and get a cheap cooler.
                  Your probably right about that

Comment

Go to walmart & get some 2.5 gallon zip close bags. They are heavy duty & will hold alot.
                    MES 30"
                    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                    Weber 22" kettle
                    E-Z-Que rotisserie
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Big Weber Gasser
                    Cracker Smoker
                    UDS

Comment

I turned on spare fridge in garage and put it in the freezer, will probably cost 200$ a year in electric for my 22$ flour im won of dem genius's

Comment

Working...
                      X