Weber Kettle Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
    I'm impressed with the seal between the lid and bowl. Wouldn't have thought it was that good. I shut both vents and there is a good bit of unburnt charcoal left.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I can put the fire out and reuse the charcoal by shutting the vents on all of mine. I don't have a 26r but it works fine on the Mini!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

And the seal will get better with use...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Bought a dozen while jumbo wings from the butcher and split them. Seasoned half of them with a wing dust from an area spice company and the other half were sauced at the end with SBR. Cooked an hour I pulled them because I was afraid of over cooking them and drying then out. Weren't very crispy but they were very tasty. Wife even thought so. They were still very juicy so I will def cook longer next time to crisp them. I did put them directly over the vortex a brief moment before pulling and that helped a bit but not much.

I put a full chimney in plus a few briquettes in top to fill the vortex. Question.... How long do people let their chimney burn before dumping coals in? I have been letting it go about 15 min and coals are lit about 2/3 up it. Should I let it go longer or will that consume too many briquettes at the bottom? Grill temp was at 450 on the lid thermo after a 15 min warm up. Then I put the wings on. After another 15 min it read 550 where it maxed out. Thinking I should let the chimney burn longer in the future.

Overall a successful first weekend with the 26'r. Three tasty meals and many more to come. Can't wait to make some smoked meat. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Comment

I never cooked on a 26 but a full Vortex oughta cook wings in less than an hour...

Yes I let the chimney get lit to the top even though a few at the bottom may get burned away...The result is a much hotter batch of coals...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

You'll know when the Vortex is ready, there will be a large barely visible flame about 8 to 10 inches high coming out of it.

Attached Files
            Bored Guy Blog

Comment

I go aboot 15 mins also, maybe a bit longer, full chimney with the 26'r and a few extra on top. Wings, typically 1+- hour, all vents wide open on the 26'r. Looks like you got a great start Keep it up

And DO NOT reach across the Vortex, you probably will like most of us have done, butt dont
              Last edited by Fishawn; 10-22-2017, 08:23 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                You'll know when the Vortex is ready, there will be a large barely visible flame about 8 to 10 inches high coming out of it.

PS: DO NOT reach across that sheet. Has anyone mentioned that?
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  I go aboot 15 mins also, maybe a bit longer, full chimney with the 26'r and a few extra on top. Wings, typically 1+- hour, all vents wide open on the 26'r. Looks like you got a great start Keep it up

And DO NOT reach across the Vortex, you probably will like most of us have done, butt dont
                  I do run the vents wide open. Will let the chimney burn longer from now on.

Rich did mention earlier about not reaching over the vortex.... Don't tell him I made that mistake today. Oops. Singed all of my forearm hair.... Hopefully won't do that again. Will walk around the grill.

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post

Rich did mention earlier about not reaching over the vortex.... Don't tell him I made that mistake today. Oops. Singed all of my forearm hair.... Hopefully won't do that again. Will walk around the grill.
                    Hmmm...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X