Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BACON-ON-A-STICK (Smoked Pork Spares cured with Tender Quick)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BACON-ON-A-STICK (Smoked Pork Spares cured with Tender Quick)

BACON-ON-A-STICK (Smoked Pork Spare Ribs cured with Tender Quick)

Smoked in my MES 40

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it is called "Bacon" (on a stick), and it is cured, and it does taste about in between Bacon & Ham.

Awhile back I tried one rack of Bacon-on-a-stick, mixed in with some Beef Dinos. The Spares were Great, but just a bit dry. I think they were too thin for the length of time I gave them.

This time I did 2 racks of Pork Spare Ribs, and I did not trim them to St Louis Style first. I think that meant a lot for how moist these were.
    These were definitely the best Pork Ribs I've ever had, and were right up top in being one of the best things I have ever smoked!!!

STEP BY STEP:

[First Day:
    Cut 2 racks of Pork Spares into 4 pieces, so they will fit neatly into 4 Zip-Lock bags.
    Remove membrane from back of Ribs, and trim excess fat from surfaces.
    Rinse well, and pat dry with paper towels.
    Weigh each piece, and calculate how much Tender Quick should go in each bag, with each piece.
    Weigh the right amounts of TQ for each piece, and put these amounts on marked paper plates, ready for rubbing.
    (One TBS (1/2 ounce) of TQ per pound), just like other TQ Dry rubs.
    Rub each piece with it's proper amount of TQ, and put them in individual Zip-locks.
    I also added one TBS of Brown Sugar to each side, and threw any TQ that fell off into the bag with the piece it fell off of, so the proper amount of cure stays with each piece.
    Put these packages in Fridge, laying flat, for 48 hours, flipping & massaging only once, at 24 hours. (Fridge set at 37˚/38˚ F)

Note: Longer than 48 hours in cure is not necessary, because these ribs get Hot Smoked just like regular smoked ribs. The TQ is only for the Hammy flavor.

Day #3:
    Remove pieces from curing bags, rinse well, and soak in ice water for 1 hour.
    Slice a couple thin pieces off, note internal color, and fry to test for salt flavor.
    If it tastes salty, soak for another hour. Repeat as needed. These were Perfect after the initial one hour soak.
    I have never had to soak anything to get rid of salt flavor, except when I used Hi Mt BBB Cure & Seasoning.
    However---I always do a Salt-fry-test---Just in case!!!
    Rinse pieces one more time, pat real dry, and put on smoker racks.
    I also sprinkled both sides with Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
    Put in fridge, uncovered, overnight, for pellicle to begin forming.
    If you don't have a designated "Meat" fridge, you can run a fan over the pieces for a couple hours, just before you put them in the smoker.

Day #4 (Smoking Day):
    10:20 AM------------Pre-heat Smoker to 240˚ (I use an MES 40).
    10:25 AM------------Fill 2 rows of AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end real good. Do not put in Smoker yet.
    10:30 AM------------Put meat in smoker on top two positions. No smoke yet, to allow pellicle to finish forming.
    11:00 AM------------Reset temp to 225˚, and put well lit AMNPS on bars, on left side, at bottom of Smoker.
    1:45 PM-------------Stack meat on wire rack in a foil pan, add 10 ounces of Apple Juice, cover with doubled foil.
    1:45 PM-------------Also remove AMNPS, and return meat to 2nd position in Smoker.
    1:45 PM-------------I also checked internals, and they ran from about 153˚ to 166˚ at this time.
    4:00 PM-------------Cut heat back to 140˚, and close vent all but the thickness of my Smoker probe wire. This stops the cooking process.
    4:30 PM-------------Smoker Temp is still 163˚, without element coming on.
    4:45 PM-------------Smoker Temp is still 143˚, without element coming on. Kill Smoker Power.
    4:55 PM-------------Remove meat from Smoker, unwrap, take pics, cut up Ribs, plate, add sides, and enjoy Great TQ Cured and Smoked Pork Spare Ribs!!!

These Really Exceeded my Expectations!

Thanks,
    Bear

Started with 12 pounds of Pork Spare Ribs:

Exactly the right amount of TQ for each piece:

Rubbing TQ & Brown Sugar on both sides (anything that falls off goes in bag with piece it fell off of):

All ready for 48 hours in fridge:

Two little slices for salt-fry test, showing outside of slices:

Same 2 little slices flipped over to show inside of slices----Note bright red color inside from cure:

Salt-fry test sampling:

Two pieces for top position in smoker, with Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder sprinkled on:

Two pieces for 2nd position in smoker (thicker two pieces):

Two racks overnighting in fridge, before smoking (forming pellicle at 37/38˚):

AMNPS smoking perfectly, after blowing flame out.
    Pet cemetery in background:

Smoking Step # 2
    All pieces in covered foil pan, with 10 ounces of Apple Juice in bottom, under wire rack:

Fresh out of smoker---Steam rising---Note wire rack under Ribs:

All 4 pieces---My favorite color!!!!

Fresh Cured Smoked Slices:

All of them cut apart.
    Have to eat the ones on the plate, because no more will fit in the container with lid:

Bear's Supper:

That's All Folks!!!
    Last edited by Bearcarver; 11-14-2013, 05:37 PM.
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

too bad WD wasnt here to deal you a ration of chit for curing ribs...

personally, i love cured ribs and been doing them every now and again for years. nice job Bear. i know they are better than they look even and they look great! for curing wibs!!!
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Outta butt totally worthy.... Love that colour
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post

personally, i love cured ribs and been doing them every now and again for years. nice job Bear. i know they are better than they look even and they look great! for curing wibs!!!

Thank You, erain!!!

I love Ribs, but these cured ones were the best I ever had.
        Probably because I love Bacon & Ham more than most things.

Just got back from another Great Score, same place I got the $4.99 Standing Rib Roasts:
        Whole Pork Loins--------------$1.59
        Pork Spares--------------------$1.79

Smoked BBQ'd ribs, Bacon-on-a-stick, and a lot of CB coming real soon!!!!
        MMMMMmmmmmm...............

Bear
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Very nice Papa Bear. I've not tried curing ribs before. They look really pretty.

Comment

hey, now those look good! i'd say you've got another "signature post" here! i will definitely have to try these ~ looks like a great way to do bacon when there aren't any pork bellies lying around!
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I like it. I like it a lot!
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I was waiting for you to jam a stick through them at some time. LOL...

What a great idea. And a good reason why this place flat out rocks!
                Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita
                Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Thank You Much to Fishawn, Tas, SmokinOutBack, Wingman, and my Favorite Squirrel Too !!!

Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                    BACON-ON-A-STICK (Smoked Pork Spare Ribs cured with Tender Quick)

Bear's Supper:
                    Damn bear, they look GREAT

Originally posted by erain View Post
                    I remember you doing a post on these E some time ago. After bears post here, I must give this method a try.
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                      Thank You, erain!!!

I love Ribs, but these cured ones were the best I ever had.
                      Probably because I love Bacon & Ham more than most things.

Just got back from another Great Score, same place I got the $4.99 Standing Rib Roasts:
                      Whole Pork Loins--------------$1.59
                      Pork Spares--------------------$1.79

Smoked BBQ'd ribs, Bacon-on-a-stick, and a lot of CB coming real soon!!!!
                      MMMMMmmmmmm...............

Bear
                      These look great Bear! Might have to try this, Wonder how they would be with a pineapple glaze? Hey the ribs are just above the bellies so why not! BTW, Christmas day went to my brothers in Douglasville, they had a Weis' flyer and for the week after Christmas he said they were listing the rib roasts at $2.99 pp...you might want to double check on that one!
                      Mustang electric smoker
                      King Kooker vertical gasser
                      Charbroil silver smoker
                      Earnhardt Jr smoker
                      Brinkman smoke n' grill
                      a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                        These look great Bear! Might have to try this, Wonder how they would be with a pineapple glaze? Hey the ribs are just above the bellies so why not! BTW, Christmas day went to my brothers in Douglasville, they had a Weis' flyer and for the week after Christmas he said they were listing the rib roasts at $2.99 pp...you might want to double check on that one!

Thank You neighbor!!!!

$2.99 ?!?!?!?!!!!!
                        That must have been a misprint. Did anyone try to buy any at that price?
                        I know they always say, "Not responsible for printing errors" or something like that. If that was for real, that could cause a riot !!!! Have to wear a flak Jacket & Helmet to go there!!!!

Here they ran out a couple times during the week they were $4.99. I picked up 70 pounds on Wednesday & busted them, and then my Son grabbed 75 pounds on Friday. He finished them off again, and they said they weren't getting any more for the last day (Saturday).

Bear

And Thank You Too, Meat Hunter !!!!

Bear

Comment

I do "hammies" once in a while... nice change. Folks get a funny look on their face... well, if they KNOW ribs anyway... wow... how'd ya do that?
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            I do "hammies" once in a while... nice change. Folks get a funny look on their face... well, if they KNOW ribs anyway... wow... how'd ya do that?

Yup---Have to answer them between Drools!!!

Bear

Comment

Dang bear I missed this one .Another home run I know cause Ive done it myself
                              2-22.5'' weber
                              1-18'' weber
                              1 smokey joe
                              22.5'' wsm
                              24'' smoke vault
                              1-outhouse
                              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Working...
                              X