First crack at venison bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First crack at venison bacon

After hunting season couple guys in camp wanted venison bacon I told them, I’ll give it try.

Did some research on some posts and I came up with Curley’s. So went all in 25lbs., ground 12lbs venison 13lbs pork butt. Let rest for 12 hours in the frig. Next day out of the aluminum tins brought up to room temp and let dry a bit.

Meanwhile smoker is warming up to 130*-140* got the venison in with no smoke for a hour or two.

Then I bumped the temp up to 150*-160* and applied beechwood for smoke, 2 to 3 later bumped up the temp again to 170* nothing higher... pulled out of smoker at internal temp 152* let rest overnight.

I was so nervous what it’s going to taste like, since I forgot to do a fry test. Fried up some immediately, wow it’s awesome...

The finishing picture the slicing.

I was very happy how it turned out, can’t wait to do more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

22’ kettle
    5 burner gas grill
    Anova
    Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
    F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
    _____
    Jim

Wow! Looks Excellent!

sigpic

Comment

Way to go AJ! That's some fine looking bacon.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Ive made many pounds of it and it is as easy as it sounds and tastes even better.P S.The seasonings that Marty and Tanya sell are every bit as good as curleys and they don't rape you as bad on Shipping .Just saying.
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Awesome!!---

I haven't made any of that in a long time---Too Long Actually!!!

I love it !!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
            Ive made many pounds of it and it is as easy as it sounds and tastes even better.P S.The seasonings that Marty and Tanya sell are every bit as good as curleys and they don't rape you as bad on Shipping .Just saying.
            I bought some PS, venison bacon seasoning just to compare, (any comments). I haven’t got to try it yet. I thought Curley’s was awesome for actually not being the traditional bacon. Once you fry it, it seems like it takes on bacon flavor, that could just be me, just saying...

I’m going to look into getting the seasoning that Marty and Tanya has...

I’m heading up to deer camp this weekend (for alittle late season bow hunting), to give the crew there share of venison bacon and summer sausage that I made up. I can see the future I’ll be making more. Ground bacon....
            sigpic

22’ kettle
            5 burner gas grill
            Anova

_____
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Kicken Asphalt View Post
              I bought some PS, venison bacon seasoning just to compare, (any comments). I haven’t got to try it yet. I thought Curley’s was awesome for actually not being the traditional bacon. Once you fry it, it seems like it takes on bacon flavor, that could just be me, just saying...

I’m going to look into getting the seasoning that Marty and Tanya has...

I’m heading up to deer camp this weekend (for alittle late season bow hunting), to give the crew there share of venison bacon and summer sausage that I made up. I can see the future I’ll be making more. Ground bacon....
              Never tried the PS,seasoning but everything else they sell is top notch.
              Ive also found the thinner you slice it and the crispier you fry it the (bacony) it becomes .
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                Never tried the PS,seasoning but everything else they sell is top notch.
                Ive also found the thinner you slice it and the crispier you fry it the (bacony) it becomes .
                I sliced between a 1/8 to 3/16 of a inch, I thought a 1/4 inch was a little bit thick.

There’s a deer processing place in town. They use PS for a lot of the sausage and cures for hams, bacon, etc.. all the people I talk to, there 50/50 on the taste of the ground venison bacon. I imagine it makes a big difference in how much pork they use.
                sigpic

22’ kettle
                5 burner gas grill
                Anova

_____
                Jim

Comment

Just ordered some seasoning for this from Marty n Tanya at Owensbbq.com

Can't wait to get the thyme to do this and see what it's like. Thanks for the inspiration

Yours looks awesome

Any modifications you might try next thyme?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Just ordered some seasoning for this from Marty n Tanya at Owensbbq.com

Can't wait to get the thyme to do this and see what it's like. Thanks for the inspiration

Yours looks awesome

Any modifications you might try next thyme?
                    The only Mods. would be, the pan, them tin aluminum cheap pans are to flimsy.

Can’t say other seasonings are better, because I haven’t try any other.

I know.... a bigger slicer, that’s a big modification. Maybe I’ll ask Santa.
                    sigpic

22’ kettle
                    5 burner gas grill
                    Anova

_____
                    Jim

Comment

Outstanding deer bacon! That is how it's done.

Comment

That came out really good, nice job looks very tasty.

Comment

Working...
                        X