No announcement yet.

New UDS temp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me ask you guys this. I took both risers out. I left both T’s. On 1 T I put a plug in both holes. On the other T I put a plug and a ball valve in. I was thinking I could take plugs out and fine tune with the valve. Or would I benefit from a second valve. What do you guys think? I know the only real way to know is to fire it up. I planed on using it tomorrow for Christmas dinner so if there is anything I need to get from Menards I need to get it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rollinsmoke View Post
      I was thinking I could take plugs out and fine tune with the valve.
      That should work fine.
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

IMO, if you can fabricate a thing, I'd get that thing off the ground and let the fire draw air from beneath it. Maybe some legs of some sort, and a way to control the air flow. Fire just needs fuel and air flow, and if you can control both of those that sucker will cook anything you need.

Good looking build sir ---
        New Braunfels Black Diamond
        18.5" WSM
        Weber Performer Deluxe Black
        18.5 Weber Kettle
        22.5 Weber Kettle
        Maverick ET732
        6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrZip66 View Post
          IMO, if you can fabricate a thing, I'd get that thing off the ground and let the fire draw air from beneath it. Maybe some legs of some sort, and a way to control the air flow. Fire just needs fuel and air flow, and if you can control both of those that sucker will cook anything you need.

Good looking build sir ---
          His charcoal basket is on legs. The intakes are below the bottom of the charcoal basket. The fire already can draw air from beneath it. He has a ball valve with which to control air flow. Not sure what raising the drum off the ground is going to accomplish since it has a solid bottom.
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
            His charcoal basket is on legs. The intakes are below the bottom of the charcoal basket. The fire already can draw air from beneath it. He has a ball valve with which to control air flow. Not sure what raising the drum off the ground is going to accomplish since it has a solid bottom.
            that's conducting whatever limited air it has from the inside of the barrel, which is constricted. If you conduct it from the outside of the barrel, you have way more control. Controlling air flow+fuel equals heat.
            18.5" WSM
            18.5 Weber Kettle
            22.5 Weber Kettle
            Maverick ET732

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

that's conducting whatever limited air it has from the inside of the barrel, which is constricted. If you conduct it from the outside of the barrel, you have way more control. Controlling air flow+fuel equals heat.
              I'm still kind of lost. It is conducting air from outside the barrel through the intakes. If it wasn't, the fire would go out.

What I have described and what he has built is a pretty standard UDS design. And I can say that it works exceedingly well on my 2 drums for going on almost 10 years now and many other UDSs I am sure. Sometimes it works a bit too well. They are not very forgiving if the temps get away from you.
              Last edited by DDave; 12-24-2017, 04:40 PM.
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

The basket’s up a bit Al... oughta be fine. Draw/thermodynamics should make things happen as they oughta. They have only failed me once..and no charges were ever brought..soo...
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  The basket’s up a bit Al... oughta be fine. Draw/thermodynamics should make things happen as they oughta. They have only failed me once..and no charges were ever brought..soo...
                  haha, no big deal --- you guys have your ideas, I have mine. I'd get that thing off the ground and draw air from the bottom.

Either way, No big whoop!
                  18.5" WSM
                  18.5 Weber Kettle
                  22.5 Weber Kettle
                  Maverick ET732

sigpic

Comment

Good news and bad news. Good news is temp came up to 250 and held, opened everything back up to make sure I could get it to 350 for chicken and turkey. Did excellent. Bad news is I never made it to menards for a grill grate. Looks like I won’t get to use it tomorrow. Have to use ole reliable tomorrow for Xmas dinner. Thanks again for all the advice. You guys haven’t let me down yet.

Have a wonderful Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

haha, no big deal --- you guys have your ideas, I have mine. I'd get that thing off the ground and draw air from the bottom.

Either way, No big whoop!
                      Interesting. Never seen a UDS that way. But it makes sense. Just more difficult to adjust I suppose. Let me ponder that..Hmmm....
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by rollinsmoke View Post
                        . You guys haven’t let me down yet.

Have a wonderful Christmas
                        Nor will we. And you and yours as well.

Comment

Interesting. Never seen a UDS that way. But it makes sense. Just more difficult to adjust I suppose. Let me ponder that..Hmmm....
                          Hunsaker makes a drum smoker that is setup that way. Vents on the bottom with a slider to adjust.

I think BBQGoddes has one.

Both ways work but one is much easier for the backyard bbqer to build at home.
                          Attached Files
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

That’s kinda slick...

Hmm... might make the drum too tall for me to see into it tho

Comment

That’s kinda slick...

Hmm... might make the drum too tall for me to see into it tho
                              Step stool Rich...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

crosswind... been saying it for years...i nose mine into the wind with the ball valve...it creates a venturi effect...draws better...friggin airplane scarf angle drain brain...suck & blow...
                                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                                X