Summer Sausage Casings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Sausage Casings

yea. summer sausage made not in the summer.

I need to online order like now. What size and where? Figure smaller will get more smoke in, but I don't need too small with the Annova. Then they got these pre Pricked fiberous casings on line too. Who pricks their casings with a corn cob skewer. Is this necessary? Never did that.

I think the 12" length is bs. Dats about all I got. Done with kits since I used TH's recipe. Got pink salt along with corns and mustard seeds.

I always buy the clear fibrous casings.. Butcher & Packer

They have a sale on the Casing for Summer Chub (2.40 in. x 18 in.) $0.36 each..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

They have a sale on the Casing for Summer Chub (2.40 in. x 18 in.) $0.36 each..
      Yeah butcher/packer,, or Walton's inc. ,,,12 inchers are good if you're giving it away

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
      Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
      1930 Fridge Build
      MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
      Therma Pen
      Maverick 732
      Mini Therma Pen
      Frog Mats
      Weber Junior
      AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

I like the Lems Red Fibrous Bologna casings. Right size for sandwich meat and they smoke up great.

PBC Drum Smoker
        Bradley Digital 4 Rack
        THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
        Miss Piggy Smoker
        Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Another vote for BnP. Amazon has some also.
          sigpic

Comment

Summers are best “hanging over a cracker’ size IMO. B/P’s work well..
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

My last batch had perforations...they were great...flavor and smoke was spot on. I got these from Walton's.

BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I've used both the 1 1/2" and the bigger "normal sized" (I don't recall if it's 2 1/2 or 3"). The 1 1/2" is perfect for slicing and eating with cheese on a cracker. To me the taste is the same in either size. I have used the LEM from Bass Pro retail store (local to me) but if I have time I usually buy from Butcher & Packer. Just make sure the ones you get are smoke permeable as they also make some that are not smoke permeable, but they are less common.

As to finishing in the sous vide, I smoke mine to at least 140* to get the meat set and smoked, then I vacuum pack them. I can then finish the vacuum packed chubs in a 152 sous vide bath with less concern about time. I usually just run them for 3 hours which is way more than needed with a 140* starting temp, but you don't have to worry about over temp or fat out with the sous vide at 152 to 154* so it's less of a concern running longer on time. Comes out perfect that way and since they are already vacuum packed, they are ready for the fridge, freezer or to give away (I pack one chub per bag).
                Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

They have a sale on the Casing for Summer Chub (2.40 in. x 18 in.) $0.36 each.
                  I buy the clear (2.7 x 27 in.) when they go on sale. I by over 100 casing (cheaper)... Then cut in half, the half that has no string fold at one end clamp a hog ring on it plus some butcher string for a loop. The SS. chubs come out on the average 1 1/2 lbs or less... it’s a little extra work, but cheaper if they go on sale.

The last batch of casing I bought had the deer head (not for sale) logo on it.. keep your eye out for the sale that size you want then Bye

Hope that helps....
                  sigpic

22’ kettle
                  5 burner gas grill
                  Anova
                  Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
                  F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
                  _____
                  Jim

Comment

Thanks All. Took TH's advise and placed an order.

Comment

Working...
                    X