Drowned drumsticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drowned drumsticks

I've stuck 12 a gallon deep in some mad hunky poultry brine and will be supper tonight! How long do you guys go and what temp to get a crispy type skin? Do you check internal temp on each leg or stick meat probes in 2 seperate legs and just go off that?

You’ll wanna cook then north of 275- I shoot for 300. Depending on size..I’d allow 45 mins. Prolly won’t need it. but why not.

Check yer 2 biggest legs, but also remember brined..you can easily just let them hit 175 and not worry. I like well done AND moist/tender :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

If you're using your new MES 40, try to stay below 300°.

Set it for 275°, and if it goes above 300°, turn it down.
      If it keeps going up, shut it down & call the Company (Masterbuilt).

Also check a leg from each end of a rack & each rack, in case your heat isn't balanced. My Gen #2.5 is balanced, but my old Gen #1 needed a heat deflector to balance left & right.

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        You’ll wanna cook then north of 275- I shoot for 300. Depending on size..I’d allow 45 mins. Prolly won’t need it. but why not.

Check yer 2 biggest legs, but also remember brined..you can easily just let them hit 175 and not worry. I like well done AND moist/tender :{)

You will be hearing from me again on your brine and made a post in my last thread with pics of the ribs I just done with your sweet heat. Dang they are good to. Thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
          If you're using your new MES 40, try to stay below 300°.

Set it for 275°, and if it goes above 300°, turn it down.

If it keeps going up, shut it down & call the Company (Masterbuilt).

Also check a leg from each end of a rack & each rack, in case your heat isn't balanced. My Gen #2.5 is balanced, but my old Gen #1 needed a heat deflector to balance left & right.

Bear

Yes sir will be my 5th smoke with it. MES is what I'm using for sure.

Comment

I've gotten to where I don't smoke chicken anymore...Prefer to grill it...Much hotter...Turns out like we like it...

Either way...MH brine is the way to start...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              I've gotten to where I don't smoke chicken anymore...Prefer to grill it...Much hotter...Turns out like we like it...

The season and brine I've used has been good

Comment

X2.... Vortex if you have one..... I won't cook/grill chicken on anything but a kettle anymore, as in ootside cooking.... like smoke flavor? Add a chunk of wood to the coals, above Vortex, or aluminum foil pouch of chips to the coals or above it. Higher temps, convection heat and a dry cooking environment will help render oot fat and crisp up your chicken. How well you like it done is up to you, we like it cooked a little longer, rendering oot fat and help in crisping the skin. If you prefer less rendering and less crispy skin, pull it off earlier. Personally, I did not like any chicken off my MES, when compared to a kettle or any other cookers/smoker. The air flow is restricted IMO in a MES. YMMV
                sigpic

Comment

X3. MH brine, the Weber kettle and the Vortex were meant for each other to cook chicken to perfection!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

X4

Occasionally I'll do leg quarters on the UDS. But I run it WFO as Slanted88 would say. Temps around 375° if I can keep 'em that high. The fat dripping into the coals smells good . . .
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I feel that I can get a nice smoky flavor using my kettle at about 300* to 350* and the skin is nice & crispy. Turkey legs and chickens take about an hour, indirect heat. I turn the meat a couple of times during the cook to even out the heat exposure. I get a chimney of coals going nicely & dump 'em into the vortex and put a piece of wood over the coals. Then the meat around the vortex and cover. The best chicken I have had was done this way on my kettle.
                      MES 30"
                      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                      Weber 22" kettle
                      E-Z-Que rotisserie
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Big Weber Gasser
                      Cracker Smoker
                      UDS

Comment

X 5...

Oh wait...Never mind...

I do have a smoked thigh recipe that the Mrs. keeps hinting about...Gotta cut up some Mulberry and smoke some up one of these days
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X