Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezer cleanout & SV experimenting

Morning y'all
    After reading AJ's post on briskit experiments, i decided to try it for a weekend bbq. I wanted to do beef & pork for pulled sammies. Used a 2lb chuck roast and a pork loin, I thought I had a small pork butt burried in there, but I guess I must have used it already? Must have been a senior moment. I hated to use the pork loin for PP, but I gotts ta defrost the freezer soon so I thought i'd give it a try.

They were both seasoned with S&P, Garlic powder, onyone (insert cheesy Justin Wilson accent) powder, and added JAB to the chuckie only. Also coated the pork loin with Byron's Butt Rub. I smoked them with cherry pellets in the yoder for hours @225 and misted with Apple juice every half hour. They both reached about 120 degrees IT in that time. Bagged them with all the juices from the pans and in the SV bath @ 155 degrees for 48 hours.

Results- The chuckie turned out great!! just the right texture for pulled beef and the flavor was really good but maybe a little lite. I did have to use a finishing sauce recipe I found online to spike the flavor up a little. The Pork, I was disappointed in. The flavor was good but the texture was just off to me. A little mushy for my liking. None of the guests even mentioned it, but there was more pork left at the end of the night then beef.

Im guessing that because the loin is a more tender cut than a pork butt is why the meat got too mushy for my liking. Both the pork and the beef had a small amount of bark from the smoker and did have a good yet subtle smoke flavor. Nice smoke ring as always with cherry wood. Overall, It is a good way to make pulled meat without the worry about the stall or being done too early.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Yup, I would think that pork loin is not a good choice for pulled pork. I have never tried it... The butts are the bomb. Right texture and fat content...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Pork loin is very lean for pulled pork. I also think it was in the SV too long. That also would account for it being a little mushy. Didn't need as much time as the beef. JMHO-YMMV
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
        Pork loin is very lean for pulled pork. I also think it was in the SV too long. That also would account for it being a little mushy. Didn't need as much time as the beef. JMHO-YMMV
        Agreed. I was curious about the loin and hated to use it for that. Definitely wont be using a loin for PP. I prefer to stuff them but Mrs Otis is getting on me - DO NOT buy more meat. She says I've use what we've got first to defrost that Damned freezer. I think she's a little pissed that I picked up some Picanha last week on a whim. I do think I'll cut the SV time down a little next time, maybe 36-40 hrs instead of 48 for Pulled meat. Overall, it was some mighty tasty learnins.
        Mike
        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
          Yup, I was thinking that also.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Kinda surprised at the beef being a little “flat”. One thing about the JAB... 2 coats is not outta line on bigger cuts. One perhaps evening before and wrapped..then another just before cook time.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Kinda surprised at the beef being a little “flat”. One thing about the JAB... 2 coats is not outta line on bigger cuts. One perhaps evening before and wrapped..then another just before cook time.
              I'll try 1 coat the night before, and 1 coat before cooking next time. I just did 1 coat about an hour before going on the smoker. When I say it was a little flat, there was good flavor, just not very strong. And when it was pulled, the flavor wasnt as deep into the meat as I would have thought. But it was about 4" thick, so I'm not that surprised. Still, the beef was the star of the show.

Next time I may let it get to about 140 before taking it off the smoker. That should give me better bark and a deeper smoke flavor. Maybe a stronger wood like hickory or mesquite would be better with the shorter smoke time. Live & learn as they say.
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                I'll try 1 coat the night before, and 1 coat before cooking next time. I just did 1 coat about an hour before going on the smoker. When I say it was a little flat, there was good flavor, just not very strong. And when it was pulled, the flavor wasnt as deep into the meat as I would have thought. But it was about 4" thick, so I'm not that surprised. Still, the beef was the star of the show.

Next time I may let it get to about 140 before taking it off the smoker. That should give me better bark and a deeper smoke flavor. Maybe a stronger wood like hickory or mesquite would be better with the shorter smoke time. Live & learn as they say.

If your situation is anything like mine, I'd be careful how much seasoning you put on.
                One light coat of something like MHGP is Great for both of us.
                One coat over night & one before smoking is Great for me, but not for Mrs Bear.

One time I did that with Ribs, and because there isn't much meat between the coats of seasoning with Ribs, she wouldn't even eat it.
                It was a little strong for me on the Ribs, but I enjoyed it.
                Like Rich said---It works good on bigger cuts (because theirs a lot of meat between the seasoned surfaces).

Since that I'm a little careful of my dosages.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Good point John. I havent used JAB very much yet and Im not sure just how strong it will get, so I am a little cautious. I do like it with 1 coat on thinner cuts of meat. I just may not have put enough on or let sit long enough for a 4" thick chuck roast.
                  Mike
                  Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Yep, that is how like my big cuts o beef. On steaks it can overpower but roasts and brisket, oh yeah!

Good that you liked the beef. Did you save the liquid gold or put it back on the pulled meat?

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                      Yep, that is how like my big cuts o beef. On steaks it can overpower but roasts and brisket, oh yeah!

Good that you liked the beef. Did you save the liquid gold or put it back on the pulled meat?
                      I put in the fridge to separate the fat then I used the liquid gold with some spices as my finishing sauces for the pork & the beef.
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Working...
                      X