North Shore Garlic Shrimp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Shore Garlic Shrimp...

I got this recipe from a buddy in FL who had it in Hawaii recently. If you like garlic and shrimp, this is very good.

It's really pretty simple. Here is the rundown of the ingredients. The batter also has paprika, KS, and BP in it. It's all very basic.

I used 2 lbs of shell on, large raw shrimp. I threw them in a bag and coated with the batter. The recipe calls for shell on and people I have talked to say it's much better this way than off. More on that later.

While that's sitting, melt the butter, a little oil and then add the garlic. I used a whole bulb minced. At he end, add some dry white wine. Set that aside when done.

In the same large pan, add the shrimp and flip them to get even cooking. It's easy to over cook shrimp so it goes quickly. I did 2 batches so that I got even cooking.

When all the shrimp are done, I turned the burner to low and added the sauce back in. Mix and you're almost there.

We added some rice on the side. For me, a pad of butter and some Sriracha. The family just took how many pieces they wanted and we went from there. With these, it's a finger food so kind of like a crawfish boil. Take the shrimp with shell on and put it in your mouth to get the first flavor off. Then, peel, and you can dredge through the bowl for any additional flavor you might want. It's not a clean meal but it's a good one.

It's like shrimp scampi but it's different. Give it a shot and thanks for looking.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
    Sure looks gooood! Interesting concept cooking with the shells on...hmmm...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I love it...
      I can see how the shell on process would give a better shrimp flavor...

Not sure (maybe) if I can get Lena to buy into the shell on gig...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Nice! You have a more specific recipe or you just throw it all in the bowl and call it good?
        sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Yes indeed! Looks awesome Pete! Cook em with shells on IMO
          sigpic

Comment

Okay, you got yer shrimp, you got yer garlic... What more do you need?

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
            Paul

Comment

Looks Great from my house!!---

A little odd with the shells on, but I can eat Odd when need be.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Beautiful meal! I am not sure about the shells on but if someone sat a plate of that down in front of me, I would definitely pig out!
                Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                  Nice! You have a more specific recipe or you just throw it all in the bowl and call it good?
                  Thanks everyone for the compliment and points, I appreciate it!

per request, my buddy got it off a google search:

Ingredients

2 pounds of jumbo shrimp with shell on. (i used the head on shrimp to match what I had in hawaii
                  2 and 1/2 tablespoons flour (I used all purpose flour)
                  2 teaspoons paprika
                  1 and 1/2 teaspoons Hawaii Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
                  1/4 teaspoon black pepper
                  18 large garlic cloves minced (finely chopped)
                  2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided) use GHEE instead!!!!!!
                  1 stick unsalted butter
                  About 1/3 cup dry white wine (i used a pino grigio)
                  Fresh chopped parsley

Instructions

Place the flour, paprika, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl or plastic food storage bag, and mix these ingredients together until blended.

Add the shrimp to this flour mixture and coat the shrimp with the flour mixture (all of the flour mixture should adhere to the shrimp).

Set the shrimp aside, and let them sit while you cook the garlic (this time allows for the flour mixture to adhere to the shell of the shrimp).

In a large pan heat the butter and one tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat until the butter has melted.

Add the chopped garlic to the melted butter & oil, and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until you see the garlic has turned light brown.

Once the garlic has turned light brown, add the wine, and cook for about one minute.

Remove the garlic sauce from the pan and set aside. (I do this to help prevent burning the garlic while I cook the shrimp.)

Add the second tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and let it get hot. Then, add your shrimp to the pan.

Cook the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (your cooked shrimp should be pink in color). (I like to cook my shrimp in batches, so that the pan is not overcrowded
                  and to help with even cooking of the shrimp. I usually have to cook only about two batches in my large skillet.)

Once you have cooked the last batch of shrimp, add the garlic sauce, and other cooked shrimp back into the pan, and stir. Then, remove the pan from the heat source. Garnish with optional parsley.

Serve Hawaiian Style with sticky white rice and macaroni salad!
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Oh hell yeah!
                    Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                    Yoder Wichita
                    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Boy - that looks good Thanks for the recipe Abel
                      ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

I Love Srimp and I Love garlic, this looks like a match made in heaven, it looks delicious.

Comment

It sounds delicious. I've thought about trying it ever since I saw it featured on an episode on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives. I've seen the show a couple times(repeats). Sometimes they also have the recipes associated with the shows. I might try to look it up through the show on line.
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X