This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    And that’s part of it too. I have made it work, but you have to “arrange” every hunk for max contact...and then “fill in the gaps” with smaller chunks.

Hmm maybe a hybrid mix of brick and lump...?
    I have done this several thymes with great success. I have also used just lump, butt as you said, they have to be "arranged"... ya' can't just dump it in a ring and light it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Pretty much the only way I smoke ribs or any short cooks on the kettles. I find for my use it saves me on fuel and wood. You can pretty much dial in when you want the smoke to stop. I find myself only using 2 or three chunks on most stuff. I can get more than one cook out of a full ring as well. I also use it to add smoke flavor to things I am grilling. I am more apt to do that as there is usually at least a portion of a snake ready to be lit with the torch most of the time. A good way to add smoky flavor to burgers and such before finishing on the gas grill. If I'm doing a long cook on a kettle I use Mikey's basket. Not because of the burn time as the snake actually burns longer at the 225 temp I like to cook at in my experience. The offset placement of the weber lid exhaust is the reason. When I go to spritz my ribs I also rotate the exhaust opposite from wherever the snake is burning. When I am doing a shoulder/butt I like to set and forget so I use the basket. One top off when I wrap at the stall gets it done. Sorry if that's too much info. I don't get to post much so I am getting my thoughts in when I can.
      Weber Smoky Joe
      18" Weber Silver
      22.5" Weber Gold
      22.5" Weber Silver
      UDS X 2
      Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
      Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
      Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
      Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
      Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
      Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
      Blackstone three burner flat top
      5" AMZNPS
      Vortex x 2
      Maverick ET 73
      Maverick ET 732
      Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
      Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
      Pitmaster iQue 110
      sigpic

Comment

Nice bump Fish.......fer a Codswallop! I was just trying to explain it to a friend, this is much easier!

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        This is just an older thread, bumped it cause there was some recent threads with questions aboot cooking on kettles for longer times and lower temps. Just thought it might help some folks oot..... Never tried it on Gator though...
        Naa, ya don't need a snake method fer Gator, ya just need 4 quarters, they done!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Whoa...I didn't know we could still say gator around here
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            Whoa...I didn't know we could still say gator around here
            As long as you don't use a boil-in-a-bag it's fine...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
              As long as you don't use a boil-in-a-bag it's fine...
              I'm not allowed to even talk about that anymore
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Quick question. Cooking pork butts tomorrow using this method. What's the best way to hit Target temp? Have vents full open until close to Target and then start closing bottom vent? Or start with it partially closed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t have an answer but will be watching this as I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
                    Quick question. Cooking pork butts tomorrow using this method. What's the best way to hit Target temp? Have vents full open until close to Target and then start closing bottom vent? Or start with it partially closed?

Yes...

Generally speaking...The right sized snake will maintain temps just fine without much assistance...Your mileage may vary...Weather/wind can have it's effect...Just try it and see how it works for you
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X