Smoked Salmon (for Snacking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grogger27 View Post
    Wow, Bear. I made a small batch of this up and it turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.
    That's Great!!!
    Thank You!----Now do a bigger batch---You got all kinds of fish up there!!

Bear

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
    Nicely done man!
    Thanks Buddy!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Good grief.

I just realized I forgot to give you some for this thread. Gonna go have yet another tasty salmon snack here in a few from my first ever salmon smoke using your method.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
        Good grief.

I just realized I forgot to give you some for this thread. Gonna go have yet another tasty salmon snack here in a few from my first ever salmon smoke using your method.

Dave
        Thank You Dave!!
        Glad you like it!!!

I gotta beat on my Kid to get me a mess of Salmon this year. That's not until around October.

Bear
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
          I gotta beat on my Kid to get me a mess of Salmon this year. That's not until around October.
          I fear I'm most likely limited to store bought. Or some other unknown origin.

In which case I should probably freeze it for 30 days per your other tip?

I kind of glossed over that info when I read your thread in the beginning. Then I noticed it when I reread prior to getting everything ready. Fortunately the salmon I used had been in my neighbor's freezer for at least 2 months that I know of.

Haven't "horked" any of it up yet so we're good.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
            I fear I'm most likely limited to store bought. Or some other unknown origin.

In which case I should probably freeze it for 30 days per your other tip?

I kind of glossed over that info when I read your thread in the beginning. Then I noticed it when I reread prior to getting everything ready. Fortunately the salmon I used had been in my neighbor's freezer for at least 2 months that I know of.

Haven't "horked" any of it up yet so we're good.

Dave

Yeah---I got that from some University paper, a couple years ago. If you cook it to 160, the freeze isn't needed.
            The freezing part had a chart. 30 days at Zero degrees, and shorter times for lower degrees, and longer times for higher than Zero degrees. I chose Zero, because that is exactly what my meat freezer is at all times.
            A lot of peeps don't do that, and they're still kickin', but I don't have a problem playing it safe when I can.

If I couldn't wait that month, I'd take it to 160˚ internal, but I'd have to use higher temps, and do it quicker to keep it from getting too dry. Then I'd be getting less smoke on the fish.

Bear

Comment

Well done there Mr. Bear, Love me some Salmon. Just don't get to eat too much here in Az. The last one I did, did in the oven with a citrus glaze and served it with white rice and asparagus.

Thanks for sharing, I am going to have to try this soon.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BIGGLOPEZ; 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM.
              God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
              Weber Performer Gold
              Masterbuilt 26" twins
              Big Chief Electric smoker
              Brinkmann barrel smoker
              LEM sausage stuffer
              Cabela's pro HD grinder
              Maverick ET-732
              ThermoWorks Thermapen
              GrillGrates

Comment

okay the brine looks pretty good.

But there are one or two pretty major contradictions in the text

I have also read that there are two ways to eliminate parasites that are said to be in nearly all fish. You must either cook the fish to over 160 degrees, or freeze it for at least 30 days at Zero degrees or below (Or other temps for other lengths of time). Since I only want to smoke my Salmon & not cook them, I chose to freeze mine to 0 degrees for 30 days or more before smoking.
                Okay fine you're making a cold smoked or low temp jerky style product

Or are you:-

Keep smoker at 120˚ for about two hours.
                Bump temp to 140˚
                Two hours later, bump to 180˚
                Remove pieces as they go above 140˚ internal.
                How long this takes doesn't matter, just so they go over 140˚.
                Some of mine have gone up to over 160˚, and it didn't hurt.
                Well, to my mind going over 140 is proper cooked and definitely if it goes over 160.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the recipe and definitely not the cook :-)

But you might want to sort the text out a bit, and decide what you are actually making :-)

As it happens I picked up a bunch of cheap salmon yesterday and was wondering what to do with it.
                Might give this a go - then again I might make salmon jerky - never actually done that.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  okay the brine looks pretty good.

But there are one or two pretty major contradictions in the text

Okay fine you're making a cold smoked or low temp jerky style product

Or are you:-

Well, to my mind going over 140 is proper cooked and definitely if it goes over 160.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the recipe and definitely not the cook :-)

But you might want to sort the text out a bit, and decide what you are actually making :-)

As it happens I picked up a bunch of cheap salmon yesterday and was wondering what to do with it.
                  Might give this a go - then again I might make salmon jerky - never actually done that.

CA,
                  My two statements make sense to me (even after re-reading about 5 times).
                  The University paper I got the above information said in order to eliminate Parasites that are in nearly all fish, you have to either cook it to 160˚ internal, or freeze it to a few different temps, at differing lengths of time. I chose to use their "Freeze to ZERO for 30 days" because my Meat freezer is always at ZERO.

As for 140˚ being properly cooked in your mind, it is in mine too, but due to the above statement, 140˚ is not enough to get rid of parasites.

I got rid of the parasites by freezing to ZERO for 30 days, so my target was 140˚. Some of the pieces I tested were at 160˚ because they were thinner, and I said it didn't hurt them.

My method isn't "Cold-smoking", and it isn't "Hot Smoking to completely cooked" (over 160˚).
                  It is just what I posted.

I don't know what else to say. Maybe a different question would help.

I'll simplify a bit:
                  #1 Freeze at ZERO degrees for 30 days to get rid of parasite possibility.
                  #2 Smoke low & slow to get a lot of smoke on the fish. Go to 140˚ or more. If some of the thinner pieces get to 160˚, as long as they aren't too hard to eat, no problem. Taking the fish to 160˚ is not needed because of the freezing I did.

Bear

Comment

Interesting. I've been smoking fish for more than 30 years and not once have i probed a piece for temp. Always go by sight and touch/feel. Never have i purposely frozen fish for 30 days to kill parasites. Never been sick, or had anyone get sick (knock on wood) from my smoked fish yet.

Most restaraunts hardly cook salmon around here, afraid of overcooking it. Not sure what internal temps they cook to.

I think I need to do some reading up on fish safety. Thanks fellas for the heads up.
                    sigpic

Comment

it's not a safety issue - human are not part of the fish/parasite cycle. So any tape worm segments or eggs that are still viable will just be digested as raw protein.

It used to be europaen legislation (not sure if it still is or if there are enough cod left for it to apply to) that you could have up to 2 segments of tapeworm in every pound of cod fillet.

I eat a lot salmon that has neither been frozen or cooked: gravad lax or english smoked salmon.
                      Lots of people eat raw fish - sushi and other preparation methods.

So while, yes fish have internal parasites - no human beings are not on those parasites list of potential hosts.

You know some pople still believe thet humans are at the top of the food chain. Hell by the time you've counted the number of parasites, viruses and bacteria that snack on us - we're barely half way up the damn chain.

But one thing we are pretty safe from are fish parasites. Simply because we are not a part of that parasites life cycle.

And bear my issue is that you said you did not cook your fish, when you clearly do. Also that you did not take it to 160, when you clearly sometimes do.

It's just a bit muddled and for a tutorial, things need to be a bit clearer is all. :-)
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

To hell with fish safety then!

I will continue on in my ways..... serving tape worm infested smoked salmon to any sucker willing to help tape worms someday rule the world

(I think my coffee just kicked in )
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          it's not a safety issue - human are not part of the fish/parasite cycle. So any tape worm segments or eggs that are still viable will just be digested as raw protein.

It used to be europaen legislation (not sure if it still is or if there are enough cod left for it to apply to) that you could have up to 2 segments of tapeworm in every pound of cod fillet.

I eat a lot salmon that has neither been frozen or cooked: gravad lax or english smoked salmon.
                          Lots of people eat raw fish - sushi and other preparation methods.

So while, yes fish have internal parasites - no human beings are not on those parasites list of potential hosts.

You know some pople still believe thet humans are at the top of the food chain. Hell by the time you've counted the number of parasites, viruses and bacteria that snack on us - we're barely half way up the damn chain.

But one thing we are pretty safe from are fish parasites. Simply because we are not a part of that parasites life cycle.

And bear my issue is that you said you did not cook your fish, when you clearly do. Also that you did not take it to 160, when you clearly sometimes do.

It's just a bit muddled and for a tutorial, things need to be a bit clearer is all. :-)
                          CA,
                          Sorry if my 2 1/2 year old Step by Step doesn't suit you. You are the first one to have a problem with it.
                          Maybe it's a reading comprehension thing?

Just for you, I'll try one more time:

Anything we cook to a certain temperature is usually measured at the center. A rack full of fish is similar to one large piece of meat.
                          If the center of that large piece of meat is at 140˚, the meat around the outside of that same piece could easily be 150˚ or even 160˚.

By that same token, if I have pieces of fish 2" thick, and some pieces 3/4" thick, if I don't manage to pull all of the 3/4" pieces out early enough, some of them could get to 160˚"internal" around the same time that the 2" pieces get to 140˚"internal".
                          If you consider that to be me cooking my fish to 160˚, that's your prerogative. I call it a couple thinner pieces getting hotter than the thicker pieces in the smoker. And the only reason I mentioned it was so the hundreds of people who follow my "Smoked Salmon (For Snacking)" Step by Step don't worry too much if some of their pieces get up to 160˚.

Bear

Comment

Can't find the one I found 2 1/2 years ago, but here is one slightly different:

Fish can contain parasites that can cause illness in humans. There have been hundreds of cases of parasitical diseases due to eating raw fish over the years in Japan where sushi (strips of raw fish that have been rolled in cold cooked rice and seaweed) is a national dish. Outbreaks have also occurred in other areas such as the Netherlands. The growing popularity of undercooked fish or raw fish dished such as sushi, sashimi, lomi lomi, ceviche, and the like has resulted in an increase in cases of diseases caused by fish parasites, most commonly the fish tapeworm.
                            Infection with a tapeworm, which can sometimes grow to a couple yards long, may cause abdominal cramps, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, and weight loss. Some people can develop a vitamin B-12 deficiency, since the tapeworm selectively absorbs this vitamin from the human host's intestine. Most people have few symptoms, if any at all, and only realize they were infected when they pass the whole worm or parts of it during a bowel movement.
                            However, freezing the raw fish at minus 10 degrees F or below for at least seven days will kill tapeworms. Reputable restaurants are aware of the dangers and take appropriate measures to ensure that worms are eliminated. There is no danger of tapeworm infection from properly canned or frozen fish. Fish cooked to at least 140 degrees F is also safe. Hot-smoked fish (a process that in effect cooks the fish while it is being smoked) kills the parasite, but cold smoking (which uses no heat) does not eliminate the parasite.

Source Link:
                            http://www.dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss/con...food_myths.htm

I'm not telling anyone what to do or what not to do---Just posting what I read in a number of places.

Bear

Comment

To expand on the illness associated with eating raw shellfish ..... Anout 15 years ago myself and 4 buddies went razor clam digging. My SIL's X husband was one of them. A little younger than the rest of us, he apparently needed to demonstrate his "toughness" to us. On the trip to the ocean, he claimed to love to eat the clams raw right on the beach. So he did. I saw him eat one and aboot gagged...... That night he got really sick, and was sick for like 5 days. He wont eat any meat raw anymore, not even gator.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                                To expand on the illness associated with eating raw shellfish ..... Anout 15 years ago myself and 4 buddies went razor clam digging. My SIL's X husband was one of them. A little younger than the rest of us, he apparently needed to demonstrate his "toughness" to us. On the trip to the ocean, he claimed to love to eat the clams raw right on the beach. So he did. I saw him eat one and aboot gagged...... That night he got really sick, and was sick for like 5 days. He wont eat any meat raw anymore, not even gator.

I love clams & oysters, but I won't eat them raw.

I never tried Mussels, and always wanted to. Then a few years ago, my Son had some steamed at a picnic in North Jersey. That night he got violently sick. We figured it was just bad Mussels at that picnic, because as far as we know, nobody in my whole extended family has any kind of serious allergy. Then a couple months later he had a few Mussels in his meal at a restaurant. That night he again got violently sick. Since that, he won't eat any Clams, Mussels, or Oysters. Now I guess I'll never get to try Mussels, because if they almost kill him, they're sure to put me out of my misery!!!

Bear

Comment

Working...
                                X