4 Pepper & Cheese Summer Sausage w/ SV Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good looking stuff.

I would have went straight from smoker at 145 ish and into SV. Taken up to temp 153 for an hour or so until internal was met and then into cold water bath then hang.

Although those look very very good so looks like your way works real good!

The cooler gig works real good.

Comment

Niiiiice!

Looks great!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
        Good looking stuff.

I would have went straight from smoker at 145 ish and into SV. Taken up to temp 153 for an hour or so until internal was met and then into cold water bath then hang.

Although those look very very good so looks like your way works real good!

The cooler gig works real good.
        Thanks for the feedback Nickelmore - I could try the cold water bath (not like it's much more effort) and see how it does next time. I got two sides of the story from the internet on that one...That cooler does work great for about 20 lbs of sausage chubs for sure.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Niiiiice!

Looks great!
        Thanks for the points Fish!
        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Good looking SS and like the sound of those flavors together, nice work!
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Very nice Sir. You definitely have my attention. I'm still trying to find some time to try your bologna.

Great post.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
              Good looking SS and like the sound of those flavors together, nice work!
              Thanks Mossy - I think this was pretty good! The peppers cooled down quite a bit after the cook so I might add to those next time.

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
              Very nice Sir. You definitely have my attention. I'm still trying to find some time to try your bologna.

Great post.

Thanks for the points Smokin! I like the bologna quite a bit but bologna is a pretty mild flavor compared to this...maybe a pepper bologna is in my future (is there such a thing?)
              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Good looking summer sausage!!!

And x2 (or x3?) on the pull at 140-145 and move straight into SV to finish at 153. That's the way I do summer sausage. The meat is pretty well set at 140* and the SV keeps from overshooting the finish temp and having fat out. I usually just run mine for 2 hours which is probably overkill as 1 hours is probably enough.

I was wondering about cure also when I first started reading this, but I saw you did use cure in the meat. That's also the way to go.
                Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Great post!! Beautiful Work!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                    Good looking summer sausage!!!

And x2 (or x3?) on the pull at 140-145 and move straight into SV to finish at 153. That's the way I do summer sausage. The meat is pretty well set at 140* and the SV keeps from overshooting the finish temp and having fat out. I usually just run mine for 2 hours which is probably overkill as 1 hours is probably enough.

I was wondering about cure also when I first started reading this, but I saw you did use cure in the meat. That's also the way to go.
                    Thanks dward - Yes, I always use cure to my sausage that I'm smoking. Sounds like about 140 is the consensus for pulling from the smoker and 153 SV temp for 1-2 hours

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Great post!! Beautiful Work!!
                    Thank ya Hawg - I appreciate the points!
                    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Nice looking sausage.
                      z
                      sigpic
                      GMG Daniel Boone
                      UDS
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                      Vision Kamado grill
                      Weber Genesis Silver
                      Smokin Tex
                      MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                      2 orange ThermoPops
                      A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                      A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                      Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by zombini View Post
                        Nice looking sausage.
                        z
                        thanks Z
                        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

The cold bath is used to actually stop the cooking process/temp rise. If you pulled at 157 IT it probably rose another 5 degrees or more. A cold shock stops that rise. I find that the fat sets up a little firmer also. Its a texture thing if that makes sense.

Heck pull the plug on that cooler, replace with some water and ice, done.

How did the dehydrated japs flavor come through?

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            The cold bath is used to actually stop the cooking process/temp rise. If you pulled at 157 IT it probably rose another 5 degrees or more. A cold shock stops that rise. I find that the fat sets up a little firmer also. Its a texture thing if that makes sense.

Heck pull the plug on that cooler, replace with some water and ice, done.

How did the dehydrated japs flavor come through?
                            thanks nickelmore - The japs flavor was pretty good - I actually prefer working with the dehydrated peppers.
                            ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Great looking Summer Sausages. I like them with some heat too. Nice work Thank you for sharing.
                              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
                                Great looking Summer Sausages. I like them with some heat too. Nice work Thank you for sharing.
                                Thank you sir - Glad to share! Hope you have great Thanksgiving!
                                ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X