What stall? Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What stall? Now what?

So every pork butt I've done this summer had taken 20 hrs. All were 8.5 - 10.5 lbs and basically the same thickness so it made sense they took about the same. Put two 10 lb butts in the smoker yesterday for my sons birthday party today and there was no stall. Zero. Steady temp rise the entire time. They finished in 14 hours. It's 4 am and we eat at 2pm. I gave myself a four hour buffer in case they took longer. I thought two butts might take a hair longer than one. But nope. I usually foil and cooler them but now for 9 or 10 hours. I don't have juice because I don't foil them in the smoker and I tried a foil pan but the juice burnt.

I always maintain temps 230-260F. They were cooking so fast I pulled my probe out and checked it in boiling water. It read 211F. I've read comments about really stubborn cuts of meat and others that don't stall. But man that threw new a curve ball.

They were probe tender when I checked with the instant read so I'm pretty sure they cooked just fine.

I see my options as hold in cooler until ready to pull for party and hope they stay hot or I pull in the morning (after some sleep) and add some water/apple juice to the pan and reheat for the party. Either way I just need to have pulled pork ready for 35 people at 2pm or it'll be pizza delivery (or a really big Sheetz run, any fellow mid Atlantic folks can appreciate a Sheetz food run).

What would you do?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I壇 heat up a cooler with some hot water, wrap the butts and put them in the cooler with towels filling the space. They値l be hot at least 6 hours. You can pull them and hold panned then. Check temps after 5 hours. If they are still 160+ you prolly got 2 easy MORE hours before you need to pull.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Or pull it sooner, fridge it, and reheat when it's time to serve...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I'd go ahead and pull it, bag it in a few bags (vac bag if you have that on hand), then into the fridge. When it comes time, get a pot of simmering water going and drop the bags into it to reheat...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Well after 4.5 hrs in the cooler they are at 158F. It's only 8:30 so it's getting bagged or panned. Hopefully I don't mess up lunch.

Is it common to run into cuts of meat that don't stall?

Comment

You must have some stubborn butt. I've NEVER had ANY butt I've done take 20 hours.

Pan it and keep it warm and juicy...the guests will love your butt.
            Arron W.

YS 640
            Primo Oval XL
            Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
            Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
            Weber Copper Top
            Old Smokey
            Orion
            Gasser
            2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
            24" Disco with custom burner
            Red Thermapen
            2-Maverick ET-733
            Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
            sigpic

Comment

Pulled pork reheats very well...
              Follow Hawg's advice or reheat it a roaster (or multiple crock pots) if needed...
              The bag in hot water gig will guarantee that your pork doesn't dry out...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
                So every pork butt I've done this summer had taken 20 hrs. All were 8.5 - 10.5 lbs and basically the same thickness so it made sense they took about the same.

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
                I always maintain temps 230-260F.
                Not much help for you today, but are you sure you're smoker temps are accurate? I do 8 to 10 pound butts all the time on my UDS and they take 9 or 10 hours tops. That's cooking around 250ishー.

Originally posted by zeroghd View Post
                I've NEVER had ANY butt I've done take 20 hours.
                Same here.
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  I do 8 to 10 pound butts all the time on my UDS and they take 9 or 10 hours tops. That's cooking around 250ishー.
                  Yup, 8-10 hours here also. Check your thermos... sounds like something ain't right.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I'd go with Phil & Craig, and Pull it, Cool, Bag, & Fridge it.

Then Heat it up at serving time, adding some tasty juices, like Apple.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Well I for one don't try to rush pulled pork...16-20 hours is a good time for me...I run the temps a bit lower in my stickburner and my pork is always moist and tender...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

I've checked my wireless thermometer a few times since I did have a meat probe go bad but it is always good when checked with ice water and boiling water. I usually see a stall that last for many hours. Didn't see that this time. I don't mind the long times I just plan for it.

I ended up vac packing it this morning and put in the refrigerator. Warmed a little in hot water but had not microwave some to finish it. Turned out pretty good. I was surprised. It wasn't dry but as it cooled it was dry which is normal but next time I might add a little juice just to help.

Thanks for the help. I won't worry next time that happens. I'd much rather finish the cook early than late.

Smoke Freak ..... Im with you as long as the end product is good doesn't matter how long it takes.

Comment

I always cut my 9-10lb butts in half... first of all, they do all stall but cook faster than full butts; PLUS, I like the added bark it produces!!! more surface of bark, more actual smoke ring meat, and they are SO MUCH easier to "pull" seeing as they are small amounts to have to handle...

You might wanna try that next time since this seems to be happening to you with every smoke.
                          OKJoe's Longhorn Combo ►Traeger 575 Bronze ►Weber Q series
                          ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates
                          and accessories out the ying-yang

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglewing View Post
                            I always cut my 9-10lb butts in half...
                            Seen this? I dunno how you cut in half..butt...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...62979#poststop

On edit f段n Photibucket... I値l fix it..gimmie a few.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Seen this? I dunno how you cut in half..butt...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...62979#poststop

On edit f段n Photibucket... I値l fix it..gimmie a few.
                              Rich has a Big Ol Butt!
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X