No announcement yet.

Sanitizing equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes... brewers should allow their santizing to air dry in a clean area. Brewing/fermenting is even more susecptable to issues/infections as it’s kept at relatively high tmps for sometimes weeks in the fermentation process.

I used to use that “Iodophor” I think it was called. Air dry and kept in a clean cabinet I set up for the stuff.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sand blaster...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yeah I don't know shit about sausage making but when it comes to my canning I wash everything before I put it away and wash it again when I bring it out...Just has to be
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          Sand blaster...
          That'll work...

Squirrel has her own method...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Yes... brewers should allow their santizing to air dry in a clean area. Brewing/fermenting is even more susecptable to issues/infections as it’s kept at relatively high tmps for sometimes weeks in the fermentation process.

I used to use that “Iodophor” I think it was called. Air dry and kept in a clean cabinet I set up for the stuff.
            Yep, I've used the iodophor stuff before. Stains plastic something fierce. The whole reason I bring it up is I've never even thought about sanitizing the sausage equipment before. Usually just wash everything really good in hot soapy water but after reading this I think I'll start sanitizing it too.

lately I've been using star-san for brewing. It's a no-rinse sanitizer, that you can use immediately without waiting for it to dry. Only needs 30 seconds of wet contact time to sanitize. Spray it on with a spray bottle and 30 seconds later you're ready to go. It's also safe if consumed, so I would think it would be good for this application.

Anyway, it's basically a strong acid (pH < 3.5), phosphoric acid if I remember right. Other than maybe imparting an acid twang to meat, do you see any problem with using it for meat processing equipment too?
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Watch aluminum... it no likee acids... like grinder bodies and pans...
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Watch aluminum... it no likee acids... like grinder bodies and pans...

Good point! Didn’t think about that aspect
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                  for those of you using bleach, ammonia or other harsh chemicals, Do you rinse afterwards? I would imagine you wouldn't want that stuff, even in tiny amounts, getting into food. And if you are rinsing does it concern you that you're rinsing your sanitized surface with unsanitized water? Or do you boil the rinse water first? I know there's been quite a discussion in the homebrewing world that rinsing with tap water after sanitizing basically negates the sanitizing.
                  at the right PPM chlorine as a sanitizer is safe.........
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                    Another thing I do is use plastic coated freezer paper to make a work area on my table. It's inexpensive, sanitary (made to wrap food with) and easy to clean up - just roll it up and toss it. And you can mark on it for cutting stuff to length to fit in the smoker. Plastic side up of course.

I like this. Usually use plastic wrap then Clorox wipes afterward. I think I need to order some. I hand wash all gear after cutting, grinding, stuffing to get off the excess, then into the dishwasher. Just me, I like stuff that "thrives on neglect"
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X