No announcement yet.

"Kraut" Kit, from Farmsteady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume ain't there. Go larger than largeyo.

Comment

Well - I'll start small and see if I can manage this...then go bigger!

I took a peek at my developing sauerkraut this morning; it looks like the colour of the cabbage is changing, and I do think that the brine is starting to get a bit of that milky, lacto-fermented look. It was a bit dark in the room and I was in a hurry, but I think we are right on schedule, here.

Also, my friend Brook and I were discussing this project, and he brought up a great point: This particular kit includes hard goods you can use over and over again. Think in terms of amortizing that through usage. The first time you make a batch, it costs 35 bucks plus the cabbage. Second time, it’s down to $17.50 plus cabbage, etc.... Looking at it like that, the cost-effectiveness of this kit shot way up, in my opinion.

I sincerely hope that some folks who read this are inspired to give it a try. I highly recommend this kit, as it can become a gateway into some really interesting things. This, to me, goes beyond just getting a head of cabbage and cutting it up. There are a lot of avenues that can be explored with different food - and this, to me, leads to a greater interest in gardening...or, at the least, local farmers' markets etc. It's pretty cool over-all, I've decided.
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Great post Ron! Looks like a fun experiment!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Following up, my sauerkraut fermented for an extra week due to my lack of good time management in life...no big deal, everything seems to have turned out fine!

I had some pint-sized jars, so I loaded up the sauerkraut into them:

Worthy of note: a 2.35-pound head of cabbage yielded three pint-sized jars, filled up to 1-inch from the brim. The packing into the jars was neither loosely nor overly-tightly; just a happy medium. With this room to spare, I am guessing that a 2.5- or possibly even three-pound head of cabbage would have made enough sauerkraut to fill them completely.

I tried a bit of the sauerkraut and it was...GREAT!

I was very impressed with the crispness, the lacto-fermented tang and the whole experience over-all. This was really incredible stuff, and almost no work was required by me to achieve it.

When I finished packing the canning jars, I divided the liquid in the fermenting jar between them, and put the lids on.

I then put the jars in the back of the refrigerator, where they hopefully will not disappear too quickly. Another option, of course, is to process them in a boiling water bath; however, considering the long shelf-life in the refrigerator, I don't think this will be necessary. If anyone does decide to process their sauerkraut for room-temperature storage in the pantry, let me know, and I will provide the details.

Based on the experience, and the fact that I can use this equipment over-and-over, I am 100% satisfied with this kit, and I do strongly recommend it. I had a lot of fun, it was easy, and I can't wait to try a few more projects with it. Once thing is for sure, I probably won't be buying sauerkraut at the grocery store any time soon!

Ron
          Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM.
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

You made me drool... dang that looks gooooood!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Make sure you save a jar for FREAK...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
              Paul

Comment

I bought the Mason Tops kit and have really enjoyed it. I weighed my cabbage and used 2% by weight salt. I have also made Kimchi and am just about to finish up the first half gallon I made, so I will be making more soon. One of me favorite things these days is Kimchi dogs. Just a hot dog with mustard and a generous helping of me homemade Kimchi. This recipe gave good results: http://modernhippiehw.com/2014/06/19...with-sriracha/. I did not include the Daikon simply because I didn't have any.
                A few of my favorite things:
                Good Whiskey
                Good Food
                Bad Girls
                sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Hi Mr "T",

Just came across your great Kraut post. Have you tried Lacto on any other veggies?
                  I have an overabundance of wax and green beans this year. So far about 15#'s worth and still going strong. I had just read about Lacto beans so I packed several quart jars full, added some minced garlic to a few and minced garlic and dill in the others, then salt water mix. It's really quite amazing to watch the process and I can't stop opening the lids to smell them. Everyday they smell better and better. Tried one after two days of fermenting...Boy are they GOOD!!
                  Gonna do some in large glass display jars we have at home, then transfer to pint jars, put some in fridge and can the rest. From what I've read, there are more and better probiotics in Lacto-fermented foods then in yogurt. Really good for the digestion system. Anyhow, hope you're still into the fermenting, Paul
                  "If a little is good, and more is better, then too much is just enough"

Comment

Another follow-up:

I was rummaging around in my refrigerator the other night, and found my jars of sauerkraut, still waiting for me. In the hustle-and-bustle that was the previous year, I completely forgot about it.

After a quick look-around through the internet to confirm what I already expected to be true (that the sauerkraut should be just fine for at least a year, kept in the refrigerator), I tried it, and was pretty impressed with how it has matured. There was a really nice, unique tang going on that was neither too salty nor too sour. I was pretty amazed to see such depth and complexity of flavor that resulted from nothing more than cabbage, salt...and time. The sauerkraut also was still quite crisp - much more so than I expected. In all ways, it was superior to the jarred or canned stuff available at the grocery store, and the experience has left me wanting to make more.

As has been mentioned, sauerkraut is only the beginning; this kit can obviously be used to make a lot of lacto-fermented things...even a sourdough starter for some great bread, pancakes and biscuits! Other projects come to mind, as well....

Also, for those interested, here is FarmSteady's video on making sauerkraut:

https://youtu.be/1k-LDM5TUu8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1k-LDM5TUu8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Alright Ron, I'm in.

Got the kit, doing some kraut with japs, cilantro and lime. Will know in a week if it works

The start:

In the mean time, twice baked taters and some tri-tip via SV and grill for tonight.
                      Pete
                      Large BGE
                      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

That looks really good!

One thing I learned with this fermenting thing: it starts out wonderful and tends to get better over time. Be sure to hold back a couple of half-pints to sample and evaluate as it ages!
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                          Alright Ron, I'm in.

Got the kit, doing some kraut with japs, cilantro and lime. Will know in a week if it works
                          I think that's going to be my next attempt.
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Got hooked on home kraut late last summer. After my first successful batch, I made 2 more batches for a total of 6 gallons. Still got about a gallon and a half in quart jars in the fridge.

All my cabbage was cut by hand with a knife. Got really good at fine cuts, but it does take some time. I think I'm going to buy a kraut cabbage shredder for next year. Ya know those big wood ones. They go for about 50 bucks, and should save me a ton of time over the coming years.

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                              Alright Ron, I'm in.

The start:

In the mean time, twice baked taters and some tri-tip via SV and grill for tonight.
                              Damn that looks good Pete. Let us know how it turns out. You guys are peaking my interest here. Might have to channel my inner Sgt Shultz and make some Kraut!
                              Mike
                              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Get going on it, Mike - the sooner you start, the sooner you are enjoying it!
                                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                                X