Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if the water stuffers sold by Eldons have a food safe stamp on them or some other type of marking we are supposed to look for. (Dakota stuffer)
    Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
    Disabled
    Member American Legion
    Life Member NRA
    Life Member ARRL

Comment

Remember any PVC or "other" plastic bucket can be made food safe if you use a food safe plastic bag liner in it!!!!!
      Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
        A very interesting read but it still does not address the issue of using water pipe as a container. I would like to see some info on the directly referring to water pipe.
        Thanks for posting this info also though.
        Karl
        You should not use a water pipe.

Reason, we change the water from PH 7.1 to something else when we add brine and spices. This can and usually does make the liquid a solvent. A solvent that will react with many AWWA (I am a engineer member) NSF 61 and NACE (I am a cathodic engineer member) approved pipes. While some won't 316 stainless comes to mind and some of the heavier molecular plastics, it does show that a pipe approved for NSF 61 AWWA 61 and NACE 6 use for proper drinking water will not meet the protection necessary for reactive liquids in the same approved chemistry.

Hope this helps
        Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
          (I am a cathodic engineer member)
          What's religion got to do with it
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
            What's religion got to do with it
            You have an extra "d" an your missing an "l", as in He........
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I thought all engineers were a little chaotic.....sorry Bob sometime I just can help myself
              sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
              members mark upright propane smoker
              kingsford bbq
              23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by Jimh View Post
                I thought all engineers were a little chaotic.....sorry Bob sometime I just can help myself
                I'd take that as a compliment. Cant be helped really... we are faced with i-dots at every turn and gotta stay outta court.

McDonalds coffee too hot? Really?
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  You have an extra "d" an your missing an "l", as in He........
                  You guys are to easy
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
                    You guys are to easy
                    Perhaps.... but...good.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Me, myself, I'm a cathartic engineer. Just ask my wife.
                      sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

I wonder if the water stuffers sold by Eldons have a food safe stamp on them or some other type of marking we are supposed to look for. (Dakota stuffer)
                        Below is some copied text from Dakotah Sausage Stuffer site. I think you will find that any company legally manufacturing these type stuffers will use the proper materials.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/operatestuf.htm
                        The Dakotah Sausage Stuffer operates on minimal water pressure (as little as 15# PSI). Precision injected to exact tolerances from food-grade ABS plastic. Listed as a 10 lb. capacity sausage stuffer. One person operation!

Comment

A very interesting read but it still does not address the issue of using water pipe as a container. I would like to see some info on the directly referring to water pipe.
                          Thanks for posting this info also though.
                          Karl
                          I agree. I don't think the thing that started this (sausage stuffer) is really addressed here. If I'm brining/curing for long periods -- or just having food in contact with a surface for a good stretch of time -- then of course I will be extremely selective on containers. However, loading ground meat into a sausage stuffer for what amounts to a short period (10 min., max?) seems like an entirely different situation. Maybe I'm wrong...

The question on my mind is: "is it safe to have ground meat in contact with the pvc or abs for a few minutes?????"

Comment

Originally posted by Adiochiro3 View Post
                            I agree. I don't think the thing that started this (sausage stuffer) is really addressed here. If I'm brining/curing for long periods -- or just having food in contact with a surface for a good stretch of time -- then of course I will be extremely selective on containers. However, loading ground meat into a sausage stuffer for what amounts to a short period (10 min., max?) seems like an entirely different situation. Maybe I'm wrong...

The question on my mind is: "is it safe to have ground meat in contact with the pvc or abs for a few minutes?????"
                            Assuming you are referring to non-food grade PVC and ABS. Well my thinking is why would I knowingly risk the chance of leaching heavy metals and known carcinogens into my sausage.

That homemade stuffer you are referring to if I remember cost around $500.00 to build. Owner stated in another forum that it was made out of sch 40 water pipe. The Dakotah stuffer runs between $160-$200 depending if you get the clear/solid tube and all made from food grade materials. Don't understand the benefits of the homemade unit.

Maybe I'm missing something here and that could be very well be possible.

Here is a viewable goggle book you can find test results and toxic properties of polymers and additives... I would have posted the content but the material has a copyright statement.
                            Last edited by Blowin Smoke; 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM. Reason: Added information

Comment

Originally posted by Blowin Smoke View Post
                              Well my thinking is why would I knowingly risk the chance of leaching heavy metal's and known carcinogens into my sausage. .
                              pretty much says it all right there.

shortcuts and improvisation can kill when it comes to handling food.

i am also disappointed in regards to the cat who did the hit and run post that sparked this discussion.. pulling his pics and running away vs an adult discussion is pretty childish imo. I would have thought a moderator from another bbq site would know how to conduct themselves in a forum.
                              Last edited by chisoxjim; 02-08-2012, 12:34 PM.
                              Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                                pretty much says it all right there.

shortcuts and improvisation can kill when it comes to handling food.

i am also disappointed in regards to the cat who did the hit and run post that sparked this discussion.. pulling his pics and running away vs an adult discussion is pretty childish imo. I would have thought a moderator from another bbq site would know how to conduct themselves in a forum.
                                Therein lies the difference between men and boys... I guess they really don't want to uphold food safety... Shame...
                                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                                X