Keeping Pork Shoulders Coolered for More than an Hour or Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Pork Shoulders Coolered for More than an Hour or Two

Cooking pulled pork for about 30 next Saturday and I plan on starting early. I can cooler at the end if need be.

I usually cooler for an hour at least but is there any concerns (other than temp) that I need to be aware of if I need to cooler for 2 or 3 hours or more? I know there won't be much bark left but will the meat get mushy if it's coolered too long?

Anything that I need to do differently?
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

I believe the workaround for the soft bark would be to put in a hot oven briefly after the stop in the cooler to firm the bark back up. Send some my way and I will be the guinea pig tester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

At one time, I had six butts in the cooler from midnight until 8:00 AM and they were still almost too hot to handle. Texture was perfect. I wouldn't worry at all about three or four hours.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
        At one time, I had six butts in the cooler from midnight until 8:00 AM and they were still almost too hot to handle. Texture was perfect. I wouldn't worry at all about three or four hours.
        ^ Whut he said. And if ya like..a hot oven as mentioned if you feel the need.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I agree that it is no problem. Put as many as will fit and it will stay very hot. I prefer a cooler to the oven as there will be no moisture loss.
          MES 30"
          A-Maze-N pellet smoker
          Weber 22" kettle
          E-Z-Que rotisserie
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Big Weber Gasser
          Cracker Smoker
          UDS

Comment

As far as the soggy bark goes...It soon softens after pulling and stirring in the precious liquid gold...It still has all the flavor that it started with...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Dave, I do this twice a year at work, except it is for 45...I put butts on at 3 to 4 pm the previous day, cook all night, pull off at 5:30 to 6 next morning... no foil wrap while cooking just panned.. collect gold, wrap in foil tight after finished into a pre-warmed cooler... take to work.. I start pulling at 11... they have been sitting for 5 plus hours... to dang hot still to touch. it is a smaller cooler which helps.. bark is still pretty firm from the no foil during cook... bear claws, add gold back in... watch it fly out of the pan!!

So in short rock on brother all will be fine!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post

Same here. I had two butts that went from around midnight to 10am in a cooler and they had just went under 140 when I got to them. Great taste and texture still, probably some of the best pp I’ve ever made in fact.
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Thanks guys.

Somewhere along the line I got the idea that keeping them foiled too long in the cooler would make them mushy. I have no idea where that came from.

Must have misremembered something along the way.
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                    Thanks guys.

Somewhere along the line I got the idea that keeping them foiled too long in the cooler would make them mushy. I have no idea where that came from.

Must have misremembered something along the way.
                    I could see that if you have a vinegar based spritz or slather maybe, the acid would tend to turn it to mush. I don't put the vinegar 'finishing sauce' on until it's served so that might be one reason it worked for me.
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                    X