Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Attempt, keep it or pitch it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
    it most likely has happened to us all.
    Oh Yeah.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Seems like a waste to me :-(
      But each to their own I guess :-)
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
        I'd say you would have been fine if you didn't inject. If you hadn't injected only the outer 1/4" needed to get up to 135° in four hours. But since you did inject, that changes what the recommendations say. Recommendations for whole intact muscle no longer apply.

If I was going to inject I would have set the initial temp to 250°. But then I always start them at 240°.

127° after 5 hours on an injected butt? I'd toss it and either not inject or crank up the heat next weekend..

But it's your call. Not for me to decide. Just telling you what I would do based on my understanding of the recommendations.

I agree with DDave, because this is what we were taught.
        However there is always discussion about the "140° in no longer than 4 hours" thing (if you Inject or Probe before the outside is at 140° for some length of time.)
        I always wait until 3 hours in to play it safe, and I don't inject.

Some would just eat some themself before allowing others to eat it. Some would toss it.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

For the record, I'm just going by what bbally told us all those years ago in the Food Safety discussion thread and remaining cautious.

Yes I realize the risk of pushing bacteria into the meat and something happening is small. But I don't know for a fact that that didn't or is not going to happen. Therefore I don't feel comfortable telling someone "You're fine. Go ahead and eat it" when I don't in fact know that.

I guess I could with some confidence say "You're probably fine and the probability that you will turn into a hydro powered stool rocket is low" but I would rather give them the pertinent info and let them decide for themselves.
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Technically..this is correct. Altho chances are smaller with pork/beef, you MAY have inadvertently poked bacteria into the meat with the injection process.

While I cannot seem to find info on it, here’s a “poster” recommending 155° for any injected meats. Take note prime rib/rare roast peoples.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defau...ulesPoster.pdf
            Not to hijack the thread, but this brought up an interesting thought. This omits the effect of lower temps over time (ie, pasteurization), so the 140* rule might not really be as hard a line to tow as it once was.

This has been well hashed out in the sous vide threads, but if the internal temp was in the 134* range after 4 hours, it is well within the guidelines published for sous vide cooking (even if a little bacteria or two was pushed inside the time of exposure to the lower temp had done the job). If you go by the USDA poster, every piece of meat I've put in my sous vide bath was a lethal time bomb looking for a victim.
            Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Yes..there are those guides. But also, remember that SV is a precise temp controlled environment... and more predictable than a pit..hell a damned oven possibly. Soo - fudge factor present.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't inject for two reasons. One is the bacteria thing, and the other is it is a pain in the arse to clean the needles. And I don't like poking holes in my meat.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  Seems like a waste to me :-(
                  But each to their own I guess :-)

Life lessons aren't always free. This one cost me $12 and some time.

11#s of meat is a good bit, looks even larger after shredding. Plan was to eat some, freeze some and give some away. I can't in good conscience give away food that could cause sickness. Lessons leaned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    And I don't like poking holes in my meat.
                    Amazing what a quote says when it is out of context
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      I don't inject for two reasons. One is the bacteria thing, and the other is it is a pain in the arse to clean the needles. And I don't like poking holes in my meat.
                      Thats funny. I really like your way of thinking:
                      sigpic
                      GMG Daniel Boone
                      UDS
                      Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                      Vision Kamado grill
                      Weber Genesis Silver
                      Smokin Tex
                      MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                      2 orange ThermoPops
                      A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                      A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                      Vortex

Comment

it's ppp - who says it's out of context

And yeah, given how long stuff in sous vide is out of the 'comfort zone' why aren't you all dead ?
                        (not ice, obviously)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

All the SV shit aside

I doubt there was a problem...Betting all of us have been in that same situation and didn't know it

I don't inject because I'm too lazy...That and I don't think butts need injecting Quote that one
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            All the SV shit aside

I doubt there was a problem...Betting all of us have been in that same situation and didn't know it

I don't inject because I'm too lazy...That and I don't think butts need injecting Quote that one

That is interesting. Before the wired thermometers and such how did one know?

I will only be rubbing the butt and not injecting it next time. I also won't be getting such a big butt, after pulling it, it definitely was a butt load of meat

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
                              That is interesting. Before the wired thermometers and such how did one know?

I will only be rubbing the butt and not injecting it next time. I also won't be getting such a big butt, after pulling it, it definitely was a butt load of meat

People took the time to learn their cookers. How they cooked and at what temp they cooked the best at. They didn't constantly open the lid and check. They know that for a ribs, butt, or brisket cooked at a certain temp that they don't need to be checking the IT til say 3 hours in. They also went by the look and feel of the meat because every piece of meat is different.
                              Basically they learned to cook without all the new equipment before they started using the new stuff. Just because a piece of meat has cooked for 4 hours or the IT is 195°, doesn't mean the meat is done(poultry excepted for temp). Learn to do a bend test or toothpick poke for ribs, probe tender test for brisket or butts.
                              Seems like now days people new to smoking think it's all going by a clock or temp gauge to tell if something is done. Then they ask why when it doesn't come out the way they expect it to. The time and temp are just tools to use. Not the end all.

JMHO-YMMV
                              Last edited by BYBBQ; 01-24-2017, 08:35 AM.
                              Jim

Comment

I also don't see a need to inject a butt. Maybe if you were cooking in a comp, but not for general eating at home.

Again....JMHO-YMMV
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X