Curious - any off roaders here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious - any off roaders here?

Ya Ya, I know. Nascar is generally the motor sport of choice for the BBQ crowd. But I have never been a pavement race fan, although I used to watch F1 for awhile. But my motor sport love has been in the dirt since I was a kid on a Honda 90 in 5th grade. Dirt Bikes (desert & MX racing), Sand rails, currently own a Truggy, and now Im off roading in style in a Ford Raptor.

So Am I alone here? My philosophy is the paved road was made to get to the dirt roads faster. So if you are off road inclined, what type of dirt activities or racing gets you fired up?
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

I used to be... I built my own sandrail a couple years out of HS. Never really used it in the sand, just offroad... That thing would go anywhere. I used to get chased by the constabulary while offroading in South Mountain Park... All I have now is an ATV I use for hunting & camping... Here is me up on South Mountain back in the 80's...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

Not by choice!!!!!

Comment

Yep, I had a '90 chevy 2500 sitting on 39" Mickey Thompsons and I used to go wheeling in the Sierra Nevada's when I lived on the left coast. Fast forward to 2007 when I bought a Yamaha Raptor 700 and had it tweaked a bit to ride in the desert. That thing was a lot of fun. It propelled my fat ass to 80 mph.

I got rid of the Raptor and bought a Arctic Cat XT1000 4x4 utility quad. It is better for spraying the yard and getting big critters out of the woods, although it has not been used for that purpose...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
          Not by choice!!!!!
          X2
          sigpic

Comment

Does a Ford f-350 in a corn field during deer season count? Just kidding that's illegal and I'd never do it
            sigpic

Comment

Well Hell...When I was having vehicular fun
              It was a 69 Camaro built for the strip that ruled the street...
              No! I never took it off road...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                Well Hell...When I was having vehicular fun
                It was a 69 Camaro built for the strip that ruled the street...
                No! I never took it off road...
                Ahhhh.... the 69 Camaro..... The one I always wanted, but never got.
                Lots of Chevelle's and a Corvette, but never the 69 Camaro
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                  I used to be... I built my own sandrail a couple years out of HS. Never really used it in the sand, just offroad... That thing would go anywhere. I used to get chased by the constabulary while offroading in South Mountain Park... All I have now is an ATV I use for hunting & camping... Here is me up on South Mountain back in the 80's...

Right on, Ice! i rode on the east end of south Mountain where the Point is now (I think its still the Point, Im a west valley guy) when i was a kid. That was long before progress and tons of houses hit the desert. I remember seeing 2 guys on Husqvarnas blast up a mountain trail and I was hooked.

3 Hondas, a CZ, 2 KTM's, a Yamaha YZ and a Kawasaki KX 500 later, and I've got plenty of injuries, old age aches & pains to show for it. But I loved every minute of it. Still have the Truggy i use for serious off roading and the Raptor has really been a blast (an expensive blast).

So what types of Racing do y'all get into? I love watching the Lucas Oil series (trucks, buggies) short course races, best in the desert, WRC Rallys as well as the MXGP series and Outdoor National Motocross series. now that's some serious racing, not that 'left turn, Clyde' paved oval racing!
                  Mike
                  Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Only off roading I've done has been on the DelaWhere beaches. You can get a surf fishing tag to allow you access. Grate fun! Haven't done it in awhile... need to correct that.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

What i have noticed before and with this thread again is that Off roading seems to be low to almost non existent the farther northeast you go. I suppose that has to do with the amount of government land open to off roading. But on the Ford Raptor Forum, there are a lot of people in NYC that do get off the pavement. So Im surprised it isnt more popular there too.

I suppose living my whole life in AZ, the reason its sooo popular here IS the amount of open land. The Southwest and the Western US from Colorado has a lot of fantastic mountain roads, single track dirt bike trails, old mine roads and just plain fun dirt roads & trails. The wife and I took the Raptor up to the San Juan mountains in Colorado last year and the scenery up there is simply beautiful. Highly Recommended!

So for those of you that dont do it much or not at all, give it a second look. Whether you're like me and like to blast down an old mine road in the truggy or the Raptor, or just putt around in a Polaris Ranger, check out the backroads in our great country. Theres some gorgeous scenery off the main road. Or as my personal motto goes; Where the pavement ends, the fun begins.
                      Attached Files
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Here Mairinn off roading with me up in the high sierras. Found this meadow off a logging road. Love my jeep. Just got new bumpers and finally my very own "wench" 😜

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Well I live in the East & I've done a lot of Off-Roading in my Days.

Most of it was during Hunting season to get back through the fire trails & Browse cuttings to the real swamp Bear hunting areas in Northern PA, and spotting deer to see where I was going the next day.
                          Other than that it was just finding Off-Road places to be alone with my Date of that particular night.

All of my 4 wheelers were in the Dodge Family.

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            Here Mairinn off roading with me up in the high sierras. Found this meadow off a logging road. Love my jeep. Just got new bumpers and finally my very own "wench"
                            Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
                            Should that be "winch"
                            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                            Weber 22.5" WSM
                            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            Pit Barrel Cooker
                            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                            The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                              I do miss my Jeep...But it didn't look that pretty...It was rough as a cob and twice as ugly...But we did have some fun in it
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X