Hackberry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackberry?

Anyone ever heard of or use hackberry in your smoker? A good friend just gave me a couple logs to try out...Man the stuff sure is heavy...

Here in town there used to be a caterer that used hackberry all the time...His food was really good so Im anxious to cut it up and try it out...
    Craig
    sigpic

Here is a picture of the stuff...

Gnarly lookin stuff...gonna be fun to split, I got a feeling...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      Anyone ever heard of or use hackberry in your smoker? A good friend just gave me a couple logs to try out...Man the stuff sure is heavy...

Here in town there used to be a caterer that used hackberry all the time...His food was really good so Im anxious to cut it up and try it out...

Haven't tried it. I know people that have. But I am not sure. I would like to try some PP smoked with it and see whats its like. if its good wood to use, then I got a mother lode.
      sigpic

Comment

I think you will like it.. It is a dense wood.. I have never smoked with it... Not sure if it's a heavy flavor tho..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Dense wood indeed...the stuff weighed a ton...should burn hot and long...flavor? Idunno yet...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Yikes!.... Kinda scary looking!.... Never heard of it, but keep us posted. I could not believe the density & weight of Olive when I first got some. Sheesh ..... Throw a chunk on some hot coals & see what it smells like.
            sigpic

Comment

What did you think of it Craig?
              sigpic

Comment

I could not split it with my ax...Not even a bit...Thinkin I gave it to a bud for his fireplace......Havent seen it around for a while so it went somewhere...

Now Im wishin I woulda cut it in short rounds and give it a try but...You know....
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  I could not split it with my ax...Not even a bit...Thinkin I gave it to a bud for his fireplace......Havent seen it around for a while so it went somewhere...

Now Im wishin I woulda cut it in short rounds and give it a try but...You know....
                  I've read you need to split while green or it gets to hard to split.
                  sigpic

Comment

Also had a bunch of Bradford pear that a local smoke guru told me to try...Couldn't split it to save my ass...Guy that gave it to me said when he split it with a power splitter it pretty well exploded upon the split...

Guess ill stick with hickory and pecan with an occasion of mulberry...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Bradford pear is the shit Craig! Just like cooking with apple!

Comment

I never really got a lot of flavor from burning apple...Maybe just had the wrong trees...
                        I like mulberry...Grows like weeds around here...Folks will just about pay you to cut it down for them...Had the same problem...Seems some trees just didn't have the flavor that others did...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X