Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redneck Bar Fire Crackers - another use for Smitty's Spice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmm..... I've got some hickory smoke powder I bought to try a while back (Savory Spice brand).
    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

• Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
      I couldn't help but think that the Merquen spice would be good in these...

so I used 1 TBS of Merquen, 1 TBS of red chili flakes, 2 TBS of Hot Whang and 1/2 tsp of Smitty's with a ranch packet and 1 cup of oil and 1/4 cut of Orville redenbacher butter flavored oil.

Be sure to grind the red peppers and Merquen in a spice grinder...like this

OH HELL...so good! Flavor you can see...I love these things.
      I'm on this version Dana!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

• WOW. I gotta try these for Christmas for the family coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
          Ok, just made a half batch.

2 sleeves of crackers.
          1/4 cup butter
          1/4 cup Veg oil
          1/2 packet Ranch dressing mix
          2 tsp. Mad Hunkey GP
          1/2 tsp. Granulated Garlic

Ms. Snarlingiron is very spice sensitive, so had to hold back on the pepper. I walked into the living room with a plate full. She took one and gave it the evil eye. Bit off half. Chewed.....and said "Oh my God, these are good!" SCORE!
          I just made these with pub crackers. Followed your recipe but added a 1/2 tsp of Smittys and a tsp of ground pequin peppers.

Love it. These will be made a lot.

Comment

• Bump for anybody looking for something awesome and different for Holiday gatherings
            sigpic

Comment

• The pics aren't there because photo bucket fucked up my posts (and most of the forums out there), but you have to try the hot whang version. They are awesome. My biggest tip is to Chuck the red pepper flakes in your spice grinder... You get better adhesion on the crackers and the large flakes don't get stuck in your teeth.
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                The pics aren't there because photo bucket fucked up my posts (and most of the forums out there), but you have to try the hot whang version. They are awesome. My biggest tip is to Chuck the red pepper flakes in your spice grinder... You get better adhesion on the crackers and the large flakes don't get stuck in your teeth.
                Good tip Dana I hate getting those bastards stuck in my teeth
                sigpic

Comment

• Guys, the recipe is also great on Cheddar Goldfish or Cheez-its crackers. The cheddar adds to the flavor and the Goldfish hold up very well in the mixing process. And I have tried smoking them over hickory and with liquid smoke (yeah, I know - liquid smoke WTF?). The liquid smoke works better than the real smoke and I agree, real smoke is too harsh for crackers. If you add smoke flavor, go easy on it.

The goldfish version is a constant request from my coworkers. We call them "fire fish". Even made a logo for it one day

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Good tip Dana I hate getting those bastards stuck in my teeth
                    I know, Right? If you grind em up a little bit, it gives you something like this which distributes more evenly on the crackers and doesn't get stuck in your teeth...it makes them better.

that way your crackers look like this...with an even coating of flavor

Which is an improvement from this...where a lot of the red pepper flakes fall off the crackers.

Originally posted by dward51 View Post

The goldfish version is a constant request from my coworkers. We call them "fire fish". Even made a logo for it one day
                    I haven't tried the firefish version yet, but Imma remedy that maybe this weekend!

I have taken batches to work, and then I get requests for the spices that I used...since I use smittys and hot whang, when people make their own they just can't duplicate the kick ass flavor of that combo. I have made up spice packets and vac sealed them for people that were having parties and wanted to make these or for people that sweet talk me into helping them out. I even had a neighbor (that now orders from Mr. Mad Hunky) show up with a large jar of red pepper flakes so I could grind them up for him since he didn't have a dedicated spice grinder. The bottom line is that this stuff is super easy and SOOOOOO ADDICTING!
                    BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

• Gotta try this - need to get some saltines and other crackers! Looks awesome Hmmm...just thinking about all the different spice combos makes me smile
                      ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
                        Gotta try this - need to get some saltines and other crackers! Looks awesome Hmmm...just thinking about all the different spice combos makes me smile
                        Know what? I think yer box is still on the porch... I’ll slip a lettle Smitty’s in there :{)

On Edit..Oh crap..you ordered some Damn I can’t give anything away any more !
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

• Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Know what? I think yer box is still on the porch... I’ll slip a lettle Smitty’s in there :{)

On Edit..Oh crap..you ordered some Damn I can’t give anything away any more !
                          I'm the same way - that's why I ninja ship packages to people! It's the only way I get feedback on stuff Think I'll try Fish's HW & ranch first - Don't want to sweat too much on the first batch
                          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

• My current recipe is as follows, (but this is so easy to change up).

Box of saltines
                            1 to 1 1/4 cup of oil (canola or olive or orville redenbacher butter flavor or a combo)
                            2 TBSP ground red pepper flakes (or 1 TBSP red pepper and 1TBSP of Merquen)
                            2 TBSP Hot Whang
                            1/2 tsp Smitty's
                            1 sleeve of ranch dressing mix

I just love these things!!

Please note...the following two pics are from the original post before I started grinding the red pepper flakes (which I highly recommend).

Now, grab a cold beer and dig in!!
                            BBQ Eng.

Comment

• The last batch I made (goldfish version), I used Whirl "butter oil" instead of blending popcorn butter oil and regular vegetable oil. I use the Whirl all the time on my Blackstone griddle and in the kitchen as a pan prep for eggs and sausage. For the firecrackers I just used Whirl for the combined total volume of popcorn & veggie oil that I would have normally used. Came out great.

Dave

Comment

• I tried these out over the weekend: 2 sleeves of saltines / 2 handfuls of cheez-its (large). 3/4 C. OO w/ 1/4 butter added, 2 TBSP MHHW, 2 TBSP ground pepper flakes and ranch. I didn't have any Schmitty's yet so I didn't add any and thank GOD!

I went to the store to get crackers but forgot the ranch so I had to make my own.

It was hot as all get out!...but darn tasty. I think the pepper flakes I'm using must be hotter than hell or I'm just a wuss I have a tin of AC Leggs pepper flakes that say 50 HU on it - I'm guessing that HU = Heat Units but not sure if that translates exactly to Scoville units or what?? Not sure what regular pepper flakes are rated at...but if they are the same then it's for sure - I'm no pepper head then You guys deserve for the heat scale! I noticed the longer you let these "sit" the better they get though. Couldn't say if I liked the saltines or cheez-its better - great together though!

I will say the Natty's were flowing though - highly addictive! Thanks for the recipe guys Gonna try another batch with a bit less heat!

Attached Files
                                ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X