Baby Back Ribs and Sous Vide New York Strip Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    Wow... Ya know..I been doing physical therapy for carpal tunnel and other issues..but thay have this cast machine... a water bath with a temp knob...seems to go from 100 to 185... hmmmm
    I have a commercial water bath also, works just fine. Not quite as accurate, within 5° though.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Well that came out pretty dang good! That machine is definitely worth owning!!
      Weber Smoky Joe
      18" Weber Silver
      22.5" Weber Gold
      22.5" Weber Silver
      UDS X 2
      Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
      Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
      Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
      Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
      Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
      Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
      Blackstone three burner flat top
      5" AMZNPS
      Vortex x 2
      Maverick ET 73
      Maverick ET 732
      Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
      Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
      Pitmaster iQue 110
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        I have a commercial water bath also, works just fine. Not quite as accurate, within 5° though.
        That's the same comment I was going to make. I'd add that you would want to look at the spec'd variation WHILE OPERATING. What's the plus/minus? If it's more than +/-, I don't know, 2°F, I'm not sure I'd want my food cycling that much.

I don't know about Sous Vide, but I have a LONG memory about waterbeds. The old analog controllers from the 60s-80s where about +/- 1.5°F. That may not sound like much, but the human body can sense a temperature change of about 2°F. When your bed is swinging 3° degrees, you can feel it. Now I'm cold. Now I'm hot. Over and over again. There were a whole lot of people, myself included, who drained their beds and replaced the heaters with the new digital models when they came out. They were +/- 0.5°. You never felt the variation.

Long way of saying that your food probably wouldn't enjoy noticeable variation anymore than you would.
        Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
        ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
        Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
        Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Wow... Ya know..I been doing physical therapy for carpal tunnel and other issues..but thay have this cast machine... a water bath with a temp knob...seems to go from 100 to 185... hmmmm
          Kill 2 birds with one stone... heat your meat while receiving therapy...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
            That's the same comment I was going to make. I'd add that you would want to look at the spec'd variation WHILE OPERATING. What's the plus/minus? If it's more than +/-, I don't know, 2°F, I'm not sure I'd want my food cycling that much.

I don't know about Sous Vide, but I have a LONG memory about waterbeds. The old analog controllers from the 60s-80s where about +/- 1.5°F. That may not sound like much, but the human body can sense a temperature change of about 2°F. When your bed is swinging 3° degrees, you can feel it. Now I'm cold. Now I'm hot. Over and over again. There were a whole lot of people, myself included, who drained their beds and replaced the heaters with the new digital models when they came out. They were +/- 0.5°. You never felt the variation.

Long way of saying that your food probably wouldn't enjoy noticeable variation anymore than you would.
            I remember the waterbed fiascos I had back then, butt I do not plan to sleep in me sous vide... I plan to cook in it. Technology has come a long way, and you get what you pay for. Accuracy brings the price up for sure... IMHO, well worth the investment. Just sayin'...

Variation in temp could cause your food to screw up... Some foods are more forgiving. Butt we all know accuracy has its benefits... especially being who we are... temperature sensitive BBQ nuts.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Very cool tool fo sho phil!

Got a second project in mind?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                temperature sensitive BBQ nuts.
                You just leave my temp sensitive BBQ nut(s) alone, sir!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Very cool tool fo sho phil!

Got a second project in mind?
                  I'm thinking on it... might be wings.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                    Wonderful job, Phil! Those ribs sure are pretty and that steak looks perfect! I am going to have to think about this sous vide thing...but I want a rotisserie first!
                    if ya lived closer we could each just buy one and trade them off time to time...

Phil, that steak looks superb! You got me almost to the tipping point...

for the great looking steak and the ribs as well!
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Kill 2 birds with one stone... heat your meat while receiving therapy...
                      Soo... suppose I bring in a couple yardbird breasteses... season and sear them here, vac hot and into ice water. Never hit 60 IT... how long would I let 'em sit in that tub at say 170-175? It'll flip 'em out up there LOL!

Or..would you have to sear after?
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                        if ya lived closer we could each just buy one and trade them off time to time...

Phil, that steak looks superb! You got me almost to the tipping point...

for the great looking steak and the ribs as well!
                        Thanks E!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the show! What do I gotta do to tip you all the way brutha? There's other folks on here that do this too... and much better than I can. I am just a mere beginning mortal. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it! It is worth the investment. If you don't want to spend the money on a water oven, you can start oot cheaper with an immersion circulator, that will clamp on to almost any size cooking vessel you want to use. The water oven is a little different from the immersion circulators, butt the same principle.

Go. For. It.

I haven't been this excited aboot cooking toys since me rotiss!! Oh, and the Klose. Oh, and me Webers...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Soo... suppose I bring in a couple yardbird breasteses... season and sear them here, vac hot and into ice water. Never hit 60 IT... how long would I let 'em sit in that tub at say 170-175? It'll flip 'em out up there LOL!

You can do it either way, pre or post sear. My chart says 146° or higher for a min. of 1hour and a max of 2 to 4 hours.
                          So far I like the post sear better but the testin be not over.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

You can do it either way, pre or post sear. My chart says 146° or higher for a min. of 1hour and a max of 2 to 4 hours.
                            Yup, you can sear them first. I think I'd prefer searing them after the bath, butt hey man, I ain't tried that yet... it's worth a shot. Have fun with that, and I'd ask you to take pictures of this whole process, butt I understand you are incapacitated...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yeah I'd bet on the post too... but I won't be there to deal with that. Just thought it'd be cool to set up the ladies with lunch outta their cast machine

Comment

I can't believe this thread stayed hidden from me all this time!!!

Freakin' Awesome, Phil !!! ----------------

You da Man!!!

Bear
                                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                                X