Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple of Questions on how to cold smoke cheese.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Questions on how to cold smoke cheese.

I got myself a little gift of an a-maze-n 12" tube and i want to smoke some cheese.I bought myself a couple of 450g bricks of cheese(not very thick,maybe 3/4"-1" thick) which i will cut down into 4"x4" blocks( mature cheddar,marble ,mild cheddar and monterry jack with jalepeno .

My first question would be how to long to smoke them for?

My second question is has anybody ever used a kamado as a cold smoker(i have a heat deflector bowl which i can load with ice)?Or would i be better using my pellet grill(im worried about no airflow when its not turned on with the fan)

Use the Kamado...Airflow is important with your tube smoker...
    Skip the water...Humidity is not your friend when smoking cheese...
    As for time...I rarely go for more than an hour...I still like to taste the cheese...Others smoke for much longer...BUT...I have never used an amazin smoker of any kind for cold smoking so my advise on time may not apply...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Nope Smoke Freak you're right on the money. I've found as well that much more than an hour to 90 minutes leaves you with a bitter tasting end product.

Follow Smoke Freaks advice and go from there. This will give you a good tasting cheese and if you feel you need to add more smoke next time adjust from there.
      Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Depending on the ambient temp, you may want to add ice to keep the temps down as the smoke tube even smoldering is going to add heat to some degree.
        You may consider pulling some after an hour, then take some more off after two hours etc. Mark the bags 1,2 etc so you can figure out what your flavor preference is.
        There is one part of cold smoking cheese that is very hard to do. Once smoked, it is advised to vacuum seal the cheese and let it sit in the fridge for 2 weeks or so to let the smoke flavor mellow and also permeate the cheese to the core. That's the hardest part for sure. Rich may argue the hardest part is not turning the block into goo. [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought there was a sticky around here on how NOT to smoke cheese......

All great advice above.

Comment

I like a good long smoke on mine, aboot 6 hours. I've never had a problem with the cheese tasting too bitter. Once again, good airflow is the key. The only time of year I can do it here in Az is the winter when it actually cools off around here.
            Once the smoke is done, do like S&P suggested & vac seal those babies & don't touch them for a couple weeks.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
            Paul

Comment

Dont have a vacuum seal.I was thinking of either plastic wrapping them,or in a ziplock bag or some over websites were saying wrap in parchment paper to let the cheese breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronan View Post
                Dont have a vacuum seal.I was thinking of either plastic wrapping them,or in a ziplock bag or some over websites were saying wrap in parchment paper to let the cheese breath.
                Zip loc bag will work.

That's what I did before I got my vacuum sealer.
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

If you're going with the ziplock I think you should also wrap it in the clingwrap to keep air away from it...Air is what will let it mold...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys.I wrapped them in clingwrap and put them in ziplock bags and sucked as much air out as i could with a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post

All great advice above.

Yeah, even an avatar to show the aftermath. LOL
                      sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
                      American Legion Riders
                      Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post

All great advice above.
                        Originally posted by Fender60 View Post

Yeah, even an avatar to show the aftermath. LOL
                        Yer
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                        X