No announcement yet.

Should I do this? Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a strange deal to me. I would be 10x more concerned aboot "food safety" issues with folks bringing cooked stuff from home. At least cooking on site, if someone had a question regarding handling, temps, etc. they wood have some folks to ask. Another thing that came to mind is holding temps and times. Who knows what some people are thinking.
    sigpic

Comment

Ryan, if you want to do a true, 4 meat comp, find a KCBS comp in your area. My experience with the county fair circuit(in full disclosure I have won several ribbons for pickling and baking) has been its a little exclusive clique, where the judging generally takes place before the entries are viewed, and no judge wants to feel the wrath of "Edna", who has been "doing this since you were a mere thought in a high school tramps mind"......

You know you got the skills. Why deal with some petty BS?
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
        who has been "doing this since you were a mere thought in a high school tramps mind"......

That was funny.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Why bother honestly? You are a great cook, don't waste your money turning in cured products to those that will never appreciate it. Do what you do! Let those that appreciate it enjoy it!
          Don

Humphrey's Pint
          Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
          Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
          Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
          Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
          Anova One Sous Vide
          AMPS
          Purple Thermapen
          Maverick ET-733
          DigIQ DX2
          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

That was funny.

Dave
            Thanks, but that was a direct quote from a lady I competed against at the local county fair. She was not a happy camper that one of my entries beat her for "Best In Class" that year(I believe I got it with Chili Sauce). I had a very tense discussion with her while standing in line to get my ribbons, entries and premium check.... "That is my ribbon....." I think I took down about $8 that year.......

Comment

I had a very tense discussion with her while standing in line to get my ribbons, entries and premium check.... "That is my ribbon....." I think I took down about $8 that year.......
              "And now I'm going to buy a double whiskey and celebrate!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                "And now I'm going to buy a double whiskey and celebrate!
                I still have every uncashed Premium check I have ever won...... Might be almost $30 bucks there.....

Comment

Late to this thread...Please forward all samples to Chicago.....ribbons to follow....

You know my answer...

Comment

I still have every uncashed Premium check I have ever won...... Might be almost $30 bucks there.....
                    You might wanna think on investing that. Hell a $30 CD at .0005% interest...in 5000 years you'll have a tidy nest egg...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You might wanna think on investing that. Hell a $30 CD at .0005% interest...in 5000 years you'll have a tidy nest egg... 5 double whiskeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        You might wanna think on investing that. Hell a $30 CD at .0005% interest...in 5000 years you'll have a tidy nest egg... 5 double whiskeys!
                        I sense a recurring theme......
                        You should probably have a double whisky, you had kind of a horseshit week......

Comment

I sense a recurring theme......
                          You should probably have a double whisky, you had kind of a horseshit week......
                          No...it's ended well. And one for the haystack... g'night Irene

Comment

It does seem like a weird way to run a bbq comp.

And you know for a fact that some of the competitors will just buy stuff from a store and claim they made it.

Pulled ham is awesome Got thread around somewhere.
                            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ght=pulled+ham

Sounds like you really wnat to have a go at a competition - but I'm with everyone else - find a proper cook on site comp and go play mud volley ball - whatever the hell that is
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Kinda late here, butt, I'd steer clear of that clusterphuck. Yup, I'm in agreement that if you want to compete, find a sanctioned BBQ comp to attend.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks, but that was a direct quote from a lady I competed against at the local county fair. She was not a happy camper that one of my entries beat her for "Best In Class" that year(I believe I got it with Chili Sauce). I had a very tense discussion with her while standing in line to get my ribbons, entries and premium check.... "That is my ribbon....." I think I took down about $8 that year.......
                                Wow Talk about a bitter sore loser.

Dave
                                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                                UDS 1.0
                                Afterburner
                                Weber Performer
                                Blue Thermapen
                                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                                Auber Smoker Controller
                                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                                -
                                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                                X