First smoke on 26r, pork loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First smoke on 26r, pork loin

Haven't been on the forum as much with the new baby but I've been grilling alot with the 26r just no time to smoke. Figured I'd do a pork loin roast for tonight. 3 lb roast coated with MH and BS. New to this on the Weber so I overshot the temp. Ran around 285 F most of the time. Was shooting for 250. Took just under 2.5 hrs where is normally be about 3 - 3.5. Threw in a couple chunks of apple wood.

I picked up some fire brick and tried the setup in the picture. Had three bricks on the bottom grate and the three on the food grate. And filled the space with charcoal. Just added about 15 lits briqs put the lid on with the vents wide open. Tried to cut it back around 230F but it kept climbing. I forgot about it buta few weeks ago I had the charcoal grate slip out of my hand and it slid under one of the wings of the butterfly and bent it up a hair. I'm assuming that didn't let me shut the vent enough because it stayed high with the bottom vent in the closed position. I'll have to see if I can take that apart and carefully bend it back into place.

Any advice on not over shooting temp?

Not eating until 7 so I'll update later how it tastes.

IMG_0258.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the snake method and lite one end of the coals instead of piling them in. That should help control the burn and keep temps were you want them.
    Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
      I forgot about it buta few weeks ago I had the charcoal grate slip out of my hand and it slid under one of the wings of the butterfly and bent it up a hair. I'm assuming that didn't let me shut the vent enough because it stayed high with the bottom vent in the closed position. I'll have to see if I can take that apart and carefully bend it back into place.
      When I get a blade bent upward, I use a flat blade screwdriver, stick the tip of it under the base of the blade next to the pivot, and twist it slightly until the blade drops down. Make sure you twist in the right direction, or you'll make it worse.

And yes, try the snake method with the coals... works great!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        When I get a blade bent upward, I use a flat blade screwdriver, stick the tip of it under the base of the blade next to the pivot, and twist it slightly until the blade drops down. Make sure you twist in the right direction, or you'll make it worse.

And yes, try the snake method with the coals... works great!

Thanks for the advice in fixing the blade. Will give that a try.

I will also be trying the snake method next time as well. Seems great for shorter cooks like small roasts and ribs. When I did what I did I was hoping to see that it used very little charcoal so I could get longer cook times for pork butts. Pulled pork is a family favorite so I do pork butts quite often.

What's the best way for longer cooks like a butt? Seems like with the snake method you'd have to remove the food and food grate to snake more charcoal. Or I guess you could snake the entire way around and just spin the food grate to keep it away for burning coals.

Anyone use a temp controller on a Weber? How do those work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s a vid a guy did for me... get a Vortex!

[YT]watch?v=sxPGdjXI2uk[/YT]

YEah he’s not Mr. Excitement..but..
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I’ll offer you a 10% discount. I have 1 2017 model left...

(no..there’s no changes being made ;{) )
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have a vortex. Haven't used it for smoking yet. Just picked up a couple of pork butts on deep discount today so I'll be cooking those this weekend. Looks like the method in the video would work out well with one butt in the center. which is probably what I will do this weekend since it'll be the first butt on the new grill.

I had bought the 26'r for maximum space for two butts at once but I'm not really seeing a great option for long smokes while also maximizing cooking space.

Comment

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
                I had bought the 26'r for maximum space for two butts at once but I'm not really seeing a great option for long smokes while also maximizing cooking space.
                Check oot the snake method for long smokes, works great & even better on a 26'r
                sigpic

Comment

Obviously there are many factors involved but how long would a full diameter snake burn at around 250 F in a 26r? Having not tried this method yet it seemed to me that it wouldn't be as indirect and might not cook as slow. But sounds like this is your go to method, I saw the sticky post. Just looking to come up with a good method I can work on fine tuning so I can smoke some meats.

Comment

I’d bet 8-ish hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      I’d bet 8-ish hours...
                      My notes on this thread said aboot 8 hours.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...n+butts+26%27r

You can also make a "reverse snake" and continue your smoke/cook time by just lining up your briquettes in the opposite direction of the way the burned.

Note: I do finish butts in a big electric roaster instead of wrapping/foiling, so they don't need as much thyme on the cooker for me, just to get the smoke on em. Works well for me
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X