Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Oklahoma Joe's any good? Is this worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Oklahoma Joe's any good? Is this worth it?

Craigslist: Oklahoma Joe Smoker http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/3557061341.html

Not familiar with this brand. From what I've read they're supposed to be pretty good. Tired of waiting for a cheap weber to come up. Plus I think I'd be happier with an offset anyways. Do they need any mods? TIA!
    sigpic

I have a friend who has one, and it rusted through on him really quickly. I'd look at this, but with as rusty as it is already, be weary. Definitely worth looking at though. My friend bought a Lang after his Ok. Joe rusted through, and I think the Ok Joe did teach him how to regulate temps with an offset firebox. I may offer like $30-$50 for it, but wouldn't pay $100. You can get a REALLY nice Weber Kettle somewhere for that!
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

I think T-H (Ken) has one I think if it's not rusting out that it might be closely priced to a decent deal if it's an Oklahoma Joe, which I think are made of a heavier gauge steel than most cheaper ones?

Ryan, here's one listed on CL by me for comparison

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/3553171062.html
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        I think T-H (Ken) has one I think if it's not rusting out that it might be closely priced to a decent deal if it's an Oklahoma Joe, which I think are made of a heavier gauge steel than most cheaper ones?

Ryan, here's one listed on CL by me for comparison

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/3553171062.html
        That's what I thought, that they were made heavier than the box store ones.

Hopefully its just surface rust. I can fix that. Got q text into the war department so we'll she what she says first.
        sigpic

Comment

The Oklahoma Joe smoker is the older brother, so to speak, of the Horizon Smoker which I own. Mine is made from 1/4" thick pipe & the Ok Joe looks to be the same. For a hundred bucks I would jump on it.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
            That's what I thought, that they were made heavier than the box store ones.

Hopefully its just surface rust. I can fix that. Got q text into the war department so we'll she what she says first.
            Offer em 50 and if he balks , be ready to go up to 75....I bet he'll pop.
            From what you can see of the inside it looks solid enough. I bet that's a good cooker.
            We call it Bah-buh-cue !

Comment

I see the newer ones might be made in China. So I'm trying to figure out if that's the case. I think so. Not a big deal.

The wife wants to know why I need another smoker. My reply why do you need 30 pairs of shoes? Cause they all have a use
              sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Ryan;399276
                The wife wants to know why I need another smoker. My reply why do you need 30 pairs of shoes? Cause they all have a use[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I need to store this line away for future use!!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                  Thanks... I need to store this line away for future use!!
                  I was surprised she didn't get pissed at that comment. And she gave me the go ahead. Email sent
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    Craigslist: Oklahoma Joe Smoker http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/3557061341.html

Not familiar with this brand. From what I've read they're supposed to be pretty good. Tired of waiting for a cheap weber to come up. Plus I think I'd be happier with an offset anyways. Do they need any mods? TIA!

Okie Joe's are great... I have the Longhorn 20".. The one you are looking at is the 16" version.. For 100 bones you cannot go wrong...

There are a few mods you can do to them to get even temps across the pit and a charcoal basket for longer burn times of your fuel...

Here's my baby chugging along with a pot of Red Beans cooking on the side..

Here is the smoker vent extension...

And the charcoal basket...

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Finally received email back. He said its 12-15 years old. Everything is solid yet, but the firebox door doesn't shut cause of the rust. Think I can take care of that. Also said he has 3 other people interested, so hopefully he calls me
                      sigpic

Comment

Not my day today! Couldn't find my semi keys, then it gelled up on me. Slot of fun working on that when its 0 out. This lady called had an offer of 85 so I offered 100 but she had another guy coming to look at it. Yep he took it. I have bad luck with craigslist bout done with it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X