Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braised Lamb Shanks... from school - last one I promise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braised Lamb Shanks... from school - last one I promise.

There are a bunch more pics and assignments, but this is the last assignment that relates to here well. And as I've finished the "cooking" part of the course and on to the Business and PR BS.... I can now go back to cookin what I want!

My Mise en Place for Braised Lamb Shanks.

Clockwise from the top left. Seasoning the lamb and heating the oil. The shanks are in the pan and I've seasoned the other side. The lamb has been turned once. And turned again.

Clockwise from the top left. Sweating the onion and garlic. Adding 2/3 of the paysanne and sweating. Adding the tomato paste. And caramelizing the tomato paste

Clockwise from the top left. Degazing the pan. Adding the herbs. The lamb has been returned to the pan and the stock is being added. Simmering the covered lamb.

Clockwise from the top left. The lamb shanks are in the oven. Just out of the oven. The lamb has been removed from the pan and I'm adding the remaining wine. And straining the sauce over the meat.

Top left, blanching the remaining 1/3 paysanne. Bottom right pan frying the paysanne in butter.

My finished plate of Braised Lamb Shanks topped with toasted pine nuts and mint and basil chiffonade.

The lamb shanks were excellent! Moist, fall off the bone tender and very flavorful. The meat was very rich, like beef but more robust. Almost like venison, very nice! The Lamb Shanks were garnished with the blanched, pan fried paysanne vegetables. I cut the mint and basil chiffonade to paysanne size to match the vegetables.

I think I like the format I came up with for the photos, I can get a lot in a small space.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

That looks great! I have to say i am kinda disappointed that is the last one!! Oh well I am sure you will give up some more great things soon! Keep after it!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      That looks great! I have to say i am kinda disappointed that is the last one!! Oh well I am sure you will give up some more great things soon! Keep after it!
      The last one from school, I kinda like the format and I get to cook what I WANT now!
      There will be more posts!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Mark, what a delicious looking cook!
        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
        Yoder Wichita
        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

That is just beautiful, Mark!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Nice looking shanks Mark, one can only imagine how incredible they must taste. They always say that meat from areas with the most connective tissue like the "shanks" have the most flavor. They just need to be cooked properly to get a good product to serve. And looks like you most certainly did a very fine job on that.

You may be done with the cooking part in school and now we get to see MarkR unleashed. As always look forward to your threads.
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

love me some shanks..........
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Looks Great, Mark!!!

I give you an A+ !!!---------------

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

shanks look superb

Not sure about the salad bit though

Chiffonade (French pronunciation: ​[ʃi.fɔ.nad]) is a chopping technique in which herbs or leafy green vegetables (such as spinach and basil) are cut into long, thin strips.[1] This is accomplished by stacking leaves, rolling them tightly, then slicing the leaves perpendicular to the roll.[2] The technique can also be applied to crepes or thin omelets to produce strips.
                  guessing you meant something different ?
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice looking food Mark! That last plate shot is a thing of beauty!
                    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                    Frogmats
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      shanks look superb

Not sure about the salad bit though

guessing you meant something different ?
                      Usually they would be chopped thin, in this case I cut them to match the paysanne veggies...as I explained in the post.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
                        Nice looking food Mark! That last plate shot is a thing of beauty!
                        Thanks Deano!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

There are a bunch more pics and assignments, but this is the last assignment that relates to here well.
                          Bummer, there was some cool stuff, even got me thinking about taking some lessons from some serious pros.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            Bummer, there was some cool stuff, even got me thinking about taking some lessons from some serious pros.
                            Welll, there might be a couple more......tomorrow
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Very nice. I think lamb is my favorite red meat. That plated pic looks fantabulous. I am jealous of your skill sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X