• Time
  • Show
Clear All

OUCH!!
    Take that!and that!and that!
    and finally this!

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
      Heh Heh Heh...wrong on all three accounts!
      Well this hardly sounded dismissive or arrogant either.

And seems to beg the question:

BNQ Engineer, In all seriousness, really? You are suggesting that since you have an idea that you are the only arbiter of what will work?

Bob, I have to hand it to you…that barely sounded arrogant or dismissive at all! Imagine my embarrassment that I didn’t consult you when I began my build…I had no idea that you held the only copy of the perfect smoker design.

In all seriousness, really? You are suggesting that since you have a “program” that you are the only arbiter of what will work? I can assure you that as someone that accepts and rejects engineering “theoretical” designs for aircraft parts on a daily basis and for a living, in many instances what looks good on paper or on a modeling program doesn’t perform well at all in real world conditions. If I accepted theoretical designs only, I can guarantee you that you wouldn’t be able to have a decent conversation outdoors over the sound of aircraft hitting the ground. So I suggest that you lose the arrogance, take the theory of your “modeling program” with a grain of salt, and come back to earth to walk amongst the rest of us mere mortals. This may come as a shock, but you don’t hold the golden key…none of us do.
      No not at all. I am suggesting that without the information of what I required the dimensions to calculate, you would not be able to make the barely arrogant or dismissive an very supportive comment "wrong on all three accounts"

So I merely wanted the chance to ask again for the dismensions so I could do the calculations on the unit for total combustion, IR transfer, and moisture movement to see if some tweaks could be added to it to make it perform better.

Then planned on sharing the results so others could learn from those calculation as I realize not a lot of people have Solidworks 3D with Wavelength modeling, fluidics modeling and combustion modeling. I thought that might be really good for others to have access to about this unique vertical.

I never did suggest I was the only one that could comment, but would like the chance to add in what I know without having it dismissed with the statement "Wrong on all three accounts." Unless you care to back that up with the science or your real world experimental data?

Thanks for he suggestion I join the real world, I have always been in it as I don't reject other ideas, I look at them and evaluate them because I don't believe I know it all.... but it is nice to finally meet an aerospace engineer that does without using the math.... I guess thermodynamics and molecular spectroscopy training was a waste when I could have just called you for the real world answer.

Hey you started it.
      Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Now, can we get back to the topic at hand..........BBQ??
        www.nopigleftbehind.com
        -----------------------------

Comment

20" Wide X 31" Tall X 17 Deep for Outside dimensions - can you crunch the numbers and see what you come up with? ( dimensions from earlier post)

Doug
          www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
            Hey you started it.
            Don’t believe that I did Bob…without any information other than a crude internet posting, you can come to the conclusion that it won’t work and needs tweaked…That’s what I call a grand leap…and maybe you could run your numbers with some inobtanium instead of carbon steel to see what that does to the theoretical values. And BTW I have never suggested that I own this idea, or am the arbiter of what will work and what won’t. I have only stated that for my purposes I wouldn’t change anything to this design for the sizes of unit it is for the next one I build, and that the smokers I have built are real power houses…go ahead, check the record.

I have answered all questions that have been posed to me (and I get a lot of PM’s on these even from people that join the forum so they can send me a PM on this topic) with real world experiences that I have had based on their actual useage…and I can assure you that the results speak volumes. So, back to the topic at hand…Bob, please enlighten us.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I have answered all questions that have been posed to me (and I get a lot of PM’s on these even from people that join the forum so they can send me a PM on this topic) with real world experiences that I have had based on their actual useage…and I can assure you that the results speak volumes. So, back to the topic at hand…Bob, please enlighten us.
              Well that kind of PM traffic is great for you. And it is very considerate of you to answer questions for people needing answers.

If the dimensions get posted I will post the analysis. If not people can use your answer as you have demonstrated a challenge to your thesis is not possible.
              Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                If the dimensions get posted I will post the analysis.
                Hey Bob, thanks for the points.

Doug posted some dimensions that he would like you to run. Although you may need some additional info on that one...you know the drill, intake size, location, heat source, internal artifacts affecting air flow, outlet size / placement, chimney size, length, etc., etc. I am curious as to what you come up with too. I am always looking for additional ideas and contrary to what you believe, more than willing to incorporate the best. I am always up for a good experiment! Hell, I may even incorporate it into something for my neighbor so I can keep a good eye on the final results to report back.

I'll let you take it from there...Fire up your computer and let's see what a properly designed unit looks like!
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I am curious as to what you come up with too. I am always looking for additional ideas and contrary to what you believe, more than willing to incorporate the best. I am always up for a good experiment! Hell, I may even incorporate it into something for my neighbor so I can keep a good eye on the final results to report back.

I'll let you take it from there...Fire up your computer and let's see what a properly designed unit looks like!
                  I will plug it into the Solidsworks and see if there is enough to fully analyze and post it.
                  Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Hornets nest

This sort of reminds me when i dared my friend to throw a rock at nest.

i really did not mean to start a discussion of this type. My primary was to find the pros and cons of building one similar to this but taller.

I am 6'4 250 and don't understand kneeling down to tend to a fire or tend to food.

I will post the dimensions of my current build and my cabinet for my next build when I get home.

My first unit works but has some shortfalls.

Wasn't it Mick Jagger who said "can't we all get along"?

My dad always told me to surround my self with smart people, he would be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                      I will post the dimensions of my current build and my cabinet for my next build when I get home.

My first unit works but has some shortfalls.
                      Thanks, would love to model it up and see.

List of what you feel are short falls would be nice too.
                      Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

I have a question...

With the almost perfect end result of a properly designed upright, will adding reverse flow to it really be worth the extra effort?
                        sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

I've wondered if anything like this (crunching the numbers) been done on a Stumps or Superior cooker? I like the concept of not having to stay up all night tending a fire...but, (yes, I want it all) still getting enough smoke to my meat.

Doug
                          www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

Originally posted by DangerDan View Post
                            I have a question...

With the almost perfect end result of a properly designed upright, will adding reverse flow to it really be worth the extra effort?
                            I believe that depends on the application for the product.

My interest is from the catering end of it. That is why I work on the design for temp gradient from one end to the other. On fuel consumption to produce 10 pounds of finished product. On burn times because labor to tend smokers costs money too. Will it turn out the same product everytime? How hard is it to produce the same product under differing environmental conditions? These are all important things in the cooking world I live in.... but anything that gets hot will cook food.....

I am working on a fuel oil oval barrel that is fired by reverse flow. I am hoping it will make the heat so much more even that I won't have to pay someone to move birds from one side to the other to get them evenly browned and smoked.

I just post the things I have learned from building them so others can read it and evaluate it.
                            Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

While I only run a measly fridge unit as an upright, I've found that the only change I'd want to make is for a more efficient burning fire box. One thats air tight, insulated and large enough to hold the coals needed that would offer longer burns without re-filling. I would venture to say once the fire box satisfies, the only other consideration would be enough mass (firebrick, ceramic tile, etc.) for heat regularity and a properly designed deflector to move the heat.

Again, not knocking the design of a reversed flow upright just wondering if the direction of flow would be the area one would consider in making the upright more efficient.
                              sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Doug posted some dimensions that he would like you to run. Although you may need some additional info on that one...you know the drill, intake size, location, heat source, internal artifacts affecting air flow, outlet size / placement, chimney size, length, etc., etc. I am curious as to what you come up with too. I am always looking for additional ideas and contrary to what you believe, more than willing to incorporate the best. I am always up for a good experiment! Hell, I may even incorporate it into something for my neighbor so I can keep a good eye on the final results to report back.

i'll posta vid of when i crank up 'WHATEVER I NAME HER" and feel free to come on down jam & help tweak her.
                                granted this is 4 the size of the largest BW but i just got all the plans & specs for every southern pride on the market & even they can't find the custom built for us back in 1981...

specs,blues.. nice rigs- but hoo the cost....
                                and it's frikkin' 1/2 gas fired.....
                                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                                cast iron Hibachi
                                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                                & rotisserator
                                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                                my music recordings-
                                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                                X