Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
    There's something very wrong there lol
    Well..the reason is you gotta make them SOOO "tasty" they tend to be overboard, Alex. Dan has taught me a few things about that. Itend to cook what I like. Not that that's killed me. Got a couple ribbons on that...but never a #1 yet. That's one of the secrets... GRAB THE JUDGE'S TONGUE!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

On the same note as the margine. a national BBQ winner told me that foiling was not a good idea. and instead of foiling, to (at the point the foil would go on) spray the meat with pam,crisco (non alcohol based type spray release)
      and with that technique you would recieve more flavor and it would help dryin out.
      now with the margrine I would imagine injecting it would be like the same as you have done sparying it on foil. but know it has eneterd the meat better. The ribs would be hard to inject. but can be done very carefully with margine.
      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
        But after seeing Johnny Trigg use it religiously, I'm sure I'll keep it in fridge as well from now on
        According to the show, he only does it for comps. Going along with what Dan was saying, even Johnny Trigg says he's not crazy about the taste of his comp ribs. He said in an early episode he prefers them with a little salt, pepper, and some smoke.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

So true captain....Folk who dont compete have a hard time wrapping the old brain around one bite etc...The tenderness/texture still has to be spot on,but i wouldnt eat a 1/2 pound of comp injected brisket either...

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
          It is margarine, which is mostly vegetable oil.

Being fairly new to the comp thing, we do use it. I think it helps put a little crust on the outside of the ribs(meat side), but we use about 2-3 times that much, and double the honey and brown sugar. The judges seem to like very sweet ribs, at least up here they do.

I wouldn't do that for normal eating though. Remember we are trying to wow the judges with just one bite. Most comp cooks don't like to eat much of their comp food, thats why they give as much of it away as possible.

Comment

Very interesting I've never heard of this before.
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
              Very interesting I've never heard of this before.
              Me either. I do use some butter when grilling or broiling steaks.

Great thread, Adam. Both sets of ribs look like winners to me.
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

i also do the pat of butter when i do steaks. is really good with elk. when i first started reading this thread i talked about the control slab, then the parky etc slab... i was expecting a third slab using butter instead of parkay. i can understand there bein a difference in the control slab and the parkay. but how about parkay and butter??? hmmm something to try i guess. nice job adam, starting a research project for us!!! i havent been able to see the pitmaster shows yet, spose will have to wait for the late night marathon...
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I believe the reason parkay is the trick, is due to it's oil content. I guess it's higher than regular butter

Comment

Working...
                  X