My first bacon attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first bacon attempt

The planets finally aligned, got a Costco membership, a meat slicer and a craving. Not much else to do but give Bacon a try.
    8# pork belly from Costco, cut into 4 pieces, 12 grams of TQ per pound, brown sugar and bagged up for a 9 day cure. Rinsed, hour soak in ice water. Seasoned as follows
    1- black pepper, garlic and onion powder
    2- straight brown sugar
    3- brown sugar and spice honey ham rub from Savory Spice
    4- post soak it went back into a bag with the contents of a can of pickled jalapeños for 24 hours then dried and seasoned with ground guajillo chile, ground red and black chipotle chiles and hatch green chile powder.
    Did a sh!t ton of reading here to determine smoking time, hot vs cold smoke, post smoke rest etc. a bit of information overload TBH as the numbers vary a good bit. Finally decided to cold smoke as long as my available time allowed. Used Pitmaster's choice pellets from Amazen. Cold smoked for 7 hours, was hoping for 10 but didn't have the time. Currently sitting in the fridge for the post smoke rest. Debating another round of cold smoke but that couldn't happen until Tuesday. Since this is my first go, I will probably not go the second round simply to make the data ( taste testing) easier and adjust accordingly on future ventures. Plus I really want to try some.
    I appreciate all those who have posted their Bacon ventures here, lot of great info for sure. I welcome any comments or suggestions, good or bad
    Post cure .
    Seasoned

Chile bacon detail

Post smoke

Sliced pics to come later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. Chili bacon..Hmm... bet that would be cat’s ass on a BLT :)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nicely done, S&P...

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Very nice. Chili bacon..Hmm... bet that would be cat’s ass on a BLT :)
      I prefer mayo butt to each his own...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
      Paul

Comment

Looks great, S&P. I was at Costco and saw a big stack of Pork bellies. Almost pulled the trigger too. I've GOT to try it soon
        Mike
        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
        POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
        Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Looks awesome, really looking forward to your comments on the different flavorings. Personally, I've lowered the amount of sugar I use. Too much sugar and it wants to burn in the pan. My favorite is onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
          Good One Heritage Oven
          Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Looks awesome S & P never got the chance to make real belly bacon just shoulder. I got some for this!
            ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Looks great! I have tried a bunch but have circled back around to the basics of salt, pepper and smoke. Skip the juniper berries....

The pickled jalapeños has me intrigued.....

Like was said watch the sugar content, it can burn quick......

Comment

Looks like you're in for a real Treat !!---

Nice Job.

I like to smoke with temp between 100° and 130°. That way, in 10 hours I can get as much color & flavor as 20+ hours of cold smoking.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Looking good so far,,, Nice job,,, I need to do more
                  Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
                  1930 Fridge Build
                  MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
                  Therma Pen
                  Maverick 732
                  Mini Therma Pen
                  Frog Mats
                  Weber Junior
                  AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

S&P, that is a fantastic experiment! Can't wait to hear your feedback on this one.

Originally posted by bwerth42 View Post
                    Personally, I've lowered the amount of sugar I use. Too much sugar and it wants to burn in the pan.
                    Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                    Like was said watch the sugar content, it can burn quick......
                    I like a sweeter bacon...something about the savory / sweet / salty bacon awesomeness. In order to overcome the sugar burning, I have been cooking my bacon in the oven on a broiler pan...it works awesome, but it does take a bit longer.

Also, around thanksgiving, we get the spiral sliced hams at costco and they have a spice packet that you can use to glaze the thing...it has sugar, honey powder, spices like cinnamon and cloves, etc. I have a couple of these from years past where we didn't use them (probably used Chris lilly's spiced apricot ham glaze instead...you really should look that up and give it a go)...anywho, I have used that to sprinkle on bacon when close to being done...FREAKIN' YUM! I also found a ham rub that would be similar...I'm going to get some of this to try from the Savory Spice Company...I bet it is awesome as well.
                    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 10-30-2017, 06:35 PM.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                      S&P, that is a fantastic experiment! Can't wait to hear your feedback on this one.

I like a sweeter bacon...something about the savory / sweet / salty bacon awesomeness. In order to overcome the sugar burning, I have been cooking my bacon in the oven on a broiler pan...it works awesome, but it does take a bit longer.

Also, around thanksgiving, we get the spiral sliced hams at costco and they have a spice packet that you can use to glaze the thing...it has sugar, honey powder, spices like cinnamon and cloves, etc. I have a couple of these from years past where we didn't use them (probably used Chris lilly's spiced apricot ham glaze instead...you really should look that up and give it a go)...anywho, I have used that to sprinkle on bacon when close to being done...FREAKIN' YUM! I also found a ham rub that would be similar...I'm going to get some of this to try from the Savory Spice Company...I bet it is awesome as well.
                      Great ideas, the ham glaze has me thinking pulled pork with some kind of spicy asian slaw.

As for the bacon, I still have a pack or two of some I made with honey and brown sugar. It is still in my freezer because it does burn so easy in the pan. Will try the oven now!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
                      Good One Heritage Oven
                      Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Looks awesome! I always did a cold smoke, one time taking it out 36 hours. It was a very cold weekend.

Mustang electric smoker
                        King Kooker vertical gasser
                        Charbroil silver smoker
                        Earnhardt Jr smoker
                        Brinkman smoke n' grill
                        a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Ok, so tonight I finished up the belly bacon attempt. Here are the sliced pics. I figure I will use the ends and pieces mixed in with ground beef for burgers or meatloaf or I am open to suggestions

Fried up a small portion of the ends and the flavor was awesome. A touch salty, hoping the inner pieces don't have that issue. Definitely some good data. Will be starting another round soon

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
                            Ok, so tonight I finished up the belly bacon attempt. Here are the sliced pics. I figure I will use the ends and pieces mixed in with ground beef for burgers or meatloaf or I am open to suggestions
                            [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
                            Fried up a small portion of the ends and the flavor was awesome. A touch salty, hoping the inner pieces don't have that issue. Definitely some good data. Will be starting another round soon

I always soak my bacon in cold water for 1/2 hour, after curing.
                            That gets rid of any extra salt on the surface.
                            Never needed any longer, except the one time I used "Hi Mountain Cure & Seasoning".

Looks Great S & P !!

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

That has all the potential of being awesome!!! Nice work sir!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X