Can I Use an Oven for Resting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Use an Oven for Resting?

Long story short, my brisket finished 4 hours early and now it's resting. Usually I wrap it in foil and put it in blankets in a cooler. However, I'd like it to stay nice and fresh for the next 4-5 hours if possible... Can I set the oven (lowest it goes is 170), and use that for longer resting? What's the best way to keep this cut warm and ready?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I have wrapped and coolered for 4 hours with no problem.....still plenty hot
    sigpic
    GMG Daniel Boone
    UDS
    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
    Vision Kamado grill
    Weber Genesis Silver
    Smokin Tex
    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
    Maverick ET 732
    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
    2 orange ThermoPops
    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
    Vortex

Comment

As long as it's wrapped you should be OK but I have kept meat hot in a cooler for 4 hours many times...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zombini View Post
        I have wrapped and coolered for 4 hours with no problem.....still plenty hot
        Oh good. The worst thing about making food for people is when it's perfect fresh, but then doesn't get eaten until it cools.

At those smokehouses and BBQ joints, how do they keep the cuts warm for prolonged periods? A food warmer?

Comment

Not sure about the BBQ joints...I usually wad up newspaper and stuff around my foiled food and pack it it cooler. Even after four hours butts are so hot you can not hardly handle them.
          sigpic
          GMG Daniel Boone
          UDS
          Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
          Vision Kamado grill
          Weber Genesis Silver
          Smokin Tex
          MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
          Maverick ET 732
          Brown and lime green ThermaPens
          2 orange ThermoPops
          A-Maze-N Tube 18"
          A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
          Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by zombini View Post
            Not sure about the BBQ joints...I usually wad up newspaper and stuff around my foiled food and pack it it cooler. Even after four hours butts are so hot you can not hardly handle them.
            Oh that makes me feel much more assured. I have a nice thick moving blanket wrapped around it, wrapped in foil, so pretty sure it'll stay okay then. Thanks!

Comment

A tip..the “barq” may soften up a bit wrapped/coolered. If you like..have your oven hot...like 400 or so..and slip the brisket in there for 10-15 mins before slicing.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

And make that foil leak tight..you’ll want the juice. Better yet foil pan and cover then cooler if it’ll fit.
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  A tip..the “barq” may soften up a bit wrapped/coolered. If you like..have your oven hot...like 400 or so..and slip the brisket in there for 10-15 mins before slicing.
                  Interesting... What does putting it in the oven do?

Comment

Originally posted by jgruberman View Post
                    Interesting... What does putting it in the oven do?
                    Firm back up the “barq” - the top layer of crispy/char..very desirable. You really don’t want it to “smear” off.

Comment

I find resting for 4 hours is very desirable if you ask me!! I think some of my best briskets have sat in their own juices for 3 plus hours... that brisket will still be too hot to handle if cooler is tight!! good eats ahead!! I am sure your guest will love it!!
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                        I find resting for 4 hours is very desirable if you ask me!! I think some of my best briskets have sat in their own juices for 3 plus hours... that brisket will still be too hot to handle if cooler is tight!! good eats ahead!! I am sure your guest will love it!!
                        Thank you... My first one was under done because I was on time constraints. However I didn't want that to happen again so I got this one done way early and the probe slid right into the meat like butter... Looking very much forward to this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Firm back up the “barq” - the top layer of crispy/char..very desirable. You really don’t want it to “smear” off.
                          Very handy tip, I'll have to to give it a try today... Thanks!

Comment

And be sure to slice against the grain or even a perfect brisket will seem tough...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                              And be sure to slice against the grain or even a perfect brisket will seem tough...
                              My toothpick is still intact against the grain :)

Comment

Working...
                              X