Smoked Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Pulled Pork

Finally had a chance to do some pulled pork on the grill. This took about 8 hours to complete but was so worth it. I use a rub called "Bone Sucking Sauce" that I picked up from Lowe's. Let me know what you're making on the grill this weekend. Thanks for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnzXenWu7zE

Looks good!

There are some debates on here, and other places, regarding inserting a probe into your meatt when starting your cook, risking possible contamination? I am not up on all the data for this, and am just posting as a heads up for your consideration. I have done it in the past, butt dont anymore. Maybe some of the food safety gurus can chime in on this?

Smoke on Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Fish makes sense but when I use a temp probe it goes into the meat when i remember to do it. Sometimes at the beginning of the cook sometimes midway through sometimes i forget. That said, probes are always clean and I have never had an issue.

Comment

We be doing a butt too on the Akorn. Slow smoke with MH all purpose rub and when bone slides give it a couple of Hastings with Bone Sucking sauce.
        sigpic
        It's Better When Cooked in the Backyard and Served on the Porch
        A man just can't have to many toys..
        Akorn smoker

Comment

good video.

Couple things I do.
          Leave the meat in the trays and cook it in the tray. Keeps a micro climate around the meat that prevents it drying out, and keeps all the juices and you don't have to piddle about with catching them below the grill. Keeps the bbq clean.
          That looks like a chargriller.
          What charcoal basket setup do you have ?

I always stick the thermometer in when the meat is cold and rubbed. It's a total non-issue.
          That said I cook a little hotter than you - chunk of shoulder that size I'd have done in 5-6 hours. And I pack the trays.
          Nothing better than putting spare pp in the freezer for a quick defrost and heat in the microwave
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            good video.

I always stick the thermometer in when the meat is cold and rubbed.
            Why? You know it’s about 40°F already

IF there is contamination on the meat surface it is POSSIBLE that you carry it inside. That’s the only reason.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thermapen. No probes 4me.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks Great Steve!!---

Nice Video too!

As for probing the meat:

Intact Muscle Rule:
                The way I heard it from BBally (and he can correct me if my memory fails me):
                If you inject a hunk of Whole Meat, or stick a probe in it too early (Before the outer 1/2" is up to 140°), then you should treat the Whole meat as if it was Ground Meat.
                Since it is no longer Intact Muscle you should get the whole thing, including the center from 40° to 140° in no longer than 4 hours (These numbers are rounded off).
                You can also get the outer surface to 140°, and then sterilize your Temp probe, and put it in to center at that time.
                Some say 1 hour is long enough, but that depends on the Smoker Temp you're using. Some probe it at 2 hours, but I usually wait until 3 hours, because since I'm probably going to go for 9 hours or more, what's the big hurry to probe it before 3 hours?

So my theory is If you must inject the roast, make sure you use a high enough Temp to get it to 140° in 4 hours.
                And if you don't inject, just wait at least 2 hours before probing the Roast.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Very nice Vid, Steve, looks like you had a great session.

I've heard varying facets of the "when to probe" as well as the "where to probe" debate over the years. My probe does get placed from the get go and I have never had an issue or concern about contamination, and I am up into the dozens as far as shoulders & hams go. I will share what I do to sterilize my thermometer probes which gives me that peace of mind.

First and foremost I make certain they have been completely (make that overly) washed of all stuck on bits and smoke discoloration and thoroughly dried after use & before storing them. They do not sit loose in a drawer either, they have their own tightly sealing tupper they stay in when not in use.

Secondly I rewash, rinse and then soak in a 10% bleach solution for at least 10 minutes before my final step prior to insertion.

Lastly, the thermometer stem or probe gets AT MINIMUM a 3 minute bath in a pot of water at a rolling boil, and then in one complete motion after pulling it out of the pot it goes into the meat AND STAYS THERE for the entire smoke or cook time.

Perhaps it seems a touch AR to some, but no one has gotten ill from my finished product yet.
                  ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post

I've heard varying facets of the "when to probe" as well as the "where to probe" debate over the years. My probe does get placed from the get go and I have never had an issue or concern about contamination, and I am up into the dozens as far as shoulders & hams go. I will share what I do to sterilize my thermometer probes which gives me that peace of mind.

First and foremost I make certain they have been completely (make that overly) washed of all stuck on bits and smoke discoloration and thoroughly dried after use & before storing them. They do not sit loose in a drawer either, they have their own tightly sealing tupper they stay in when not in use.

Secondly I rewash, rinse and then soak in a 10% bleach solution for at least 10 minutes before my final step prior to insertion.

Lastly, the thermometer stem or probe gets AT MINIMUM a 3 minute bath in a pot of water at a rolling boil, and then in one complete motion after pulling it out of the pot it goes into the meat AND STAYS THERE for the entire smoke or cook time.

Perhaps it seems a touch AR to some, but no one has gotten ill from my finished product yet.

Yup---You've been lucky.
                    You can wash your probe 1,000 times, and wipe it with an alcohol wipe (like I do), and when you stick it in that Butt that is loaded with bacteria on the outside, you'll be pushing the bacteria right into the meat.
                    These aren't orders---Just Tips & Warnings.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Looks good!

There are some debates on here, and other places, regarding inserting a probe into your meatt when starting your cook, risking possible contamination? I am not up on all the data for this, and am just posting as a heads up for your consideration. I have done it in the past, butt dont anymore. Maybe some of the food safety gurus can chime in on this?

Smoke on Steve
                      Thanks for the heads-up. I make sure it's clean before use.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post

Those are some great tips. I don't think any of it is going overboard, especially when you consider that 1) contaminating meat can actually kill someone, and 2) no one hasn't complained or gotten sick from your food. Sounds like some great tips. I think I may start using some of them. Thanks for checking out the video.

Comment

Working...
                        X