Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Yard Care Tip - Save Your Aching Back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Yard Care Tip - Save Your Aching Back.

I hate running the trimmer...it is easily the worst job in the yard. Unfortunately I haven't been able to convince Mrs. Engineer to share in the misery of the trimmer, (although she loves to mow the yard... )!

I spend a good deal of time behind the control of my trimmer, and last winter I traded in my big box store trimmer for a Stihl...I cannot even tell you what a difference that made. I bought the largest displacement Kombi Motor they had. This thing is SOOOOO POWERFUL!! It is the 4 mix motor, and it also sounds pretty bad ass. I can run about an hour on a tank of gas while my old Ryobi was always running out of gas at the worst moment (walk of shame back to the garage for more fuel from the farthest point in the yard). I attribute this to the fact that the Stihl only has to be throttled up a little bit while the Ryobi had to run hard to do the same thing.

Now, I have a nice trimmer, but I hate the shoulder harnesses. The instrumental part of using the trimmer is being able to move it around. The shoulder harness restricts that. To just carry it, my back is hurting by the time I'm done. So here's what I have done...I added some bungee cords to the harness.

This simple addition allows the harness to carry the weight of the trimmer. the Bungee cords allow it to extend with a simple push of my arm. It also allows me to control this thing one handed for extended reach under trees. this makes this a controllable weed eatin' monster...easy to incorporate across different brands and easy to customize for the weight of your trimmer. Hopefully this is something that you can use.

Also, I hesitated to switch to a Stihl because I had several attachments for my Ryobi. If you have had this question, they are interchangeable! I cannot recommend the Stihl enough.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

I like the bungee idea...
    I bought a Troy-bilt last year...It's the best I have ever used...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

I was originally thinking a spring loaded retractable tool holder like this one..

There isn't a huge extension that is needed and the bungees were on my workbench shelf...they work great and I've used that configuration for more than a couple of years with solid results. No kidding...if I let go the trimmer just hangs at my side and if I grab it and push I can get a full extension of my arms in any direction. It really does save my back.
      BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Good call on Stihl me trimmer and blower both are Stihl. Last trimmer lasted 15 years. I like things that "thrive on neglect"

Nice harness mod
        sigpic

Comment

me back... fell on me bum at the hangar...foot got hung up on the step of a 182... hurts bad...Jim Beam don't make it better! ...think you on it with that weight relief...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great Idea!!

My Son has a Big Trimmer that takes a Harness too, but it's an Echo. It's Heavy, but it runs Great.
            You should have seen him running across the yard, carrying that big heavy sucker when he accidentally slashed across a Hornet's Nest !!!!!

Two of my Chainsaws are Stihl, and the third one, the smallest one is a Echo. I like them all.
            My 6' Hedge Trimmer is an Echo, and it's been used pretty hard for about 18 years. All it ever needed was Plugs, gas Filter, & a couple of little Gas tank parts a few years ago.

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I finally found a good yard man who does not charge too much. Have not cranked the trimmer ever since. $55 to cut, edge, trim, blow, everything is well worth it. Even in the peak growing season his crew only needs to come every 2 weeks.
              Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                I finally found a good yard man who does not charge too much. Have not cranked the trimmer ever since. $55 to cut, edge, trim, blow, everything is well worth it. Even in the peak growing season his crew only needs to come every 2 weeks.
                I have a grandson who does an awesome job... and he's cheap!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I've got a Stihl 90 something (away from home right now or I'd check) and I love it. It's a 4 stroker too. First time I got the string hung up in some really thick tall stuff the torque of the thing nearly twisted it out of my hands. Only thing I don't like about it is the counter clockwise rotation of the trimmer head and it trims from the right side of the trimmer head. That's opposite of every trimmer I have ever used. I'm right handed and like to walk around trees and such with the trimmer head to the left of my body and this one is a little awkward to use.

Other than that, it's a monster to use. I'll be trying your bungie trick on the next trim....if we ever get any rain........
                  Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    I have a grandson who does an awesome job... and he's cheap!
                    I tried the "boyfriends" of my 2 daughters route before I got a yard man. They can be rough on equipment. I was paying them a little (which they usually ended up spending on the daughters) and when I factored in equipment maintenance (and repair) costs I still came out ahead by just paying a company. Just had to find the right deal. Been using him since 2007 and never looked back.
                    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

This is right up my alley. I use a string trimmer for about 45 hours a week. I know a thing or two about trimmers. First thing first if you need a harness you don't need that trimmer imho. I will also suggest you keep an eye on the valve adjustment. After 25 hours of use the 4 mix will sometimes get out of adjustment. I'm not a fan of stihl. They brag about being American made but all the parts are stamped with China. I use Redmax. I have a Redmax trimmer with over 3000 hours on it and it hasn't been in the shop one time. Those were 3000 hours of hard labor. Anyway I hope your trimmer lasts until you can no longer use it and the bungee cord idea is a really good one. for ingenuity.
                      sigpic
                      Weber 22.5 kettle
                      Smokin in the Smokies
                      Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                      Jerry

Comment

you lot need smaller yards - just saying :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by fishermanlawncare View Post
                          First thing first if you need a harness you don't need that trimmer imho.
                          I have carried trimmers around my current place for 20 years without a harness...I simply could never use the harnesses. They restricted trimmer movement too much...until I got tired one day and modded it with a bungee. I'm (quickly) becoming an old man, now my shoulder can carry the weight, and I can move and extend the trimmer as required. Like I said, I can even do a full on one handed long reach extension under some of my pine trees...under control. It works for me and lessens my weekly burden.

The beauty of this mod is that you can add bungees for heavy trimmers, or use them in a straight line pull for more extension (loop configuration like I show will halve the extension).

I am not a lawn care professional by any stretch of the imagination, but years ago I had mower problems and was faced with buying a new mower or throwing good money after bad to repair my existing one. I had some people quote just mowing the yard so I had a full picture of my financial options. I found that I could easily make payments on the nicest diesel zero turn mower I could find for what they wanted to mow the yard! Mrs. Engineer has always enjoyed mowing, so now she has a nice mower to do it with. Usually she takes off mowing and I take off trimming. It takes a team effort, but the place usually looks pretty good.
                          BBQ Eng.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                            I have carried trimmers around my current place for 20 years without a harness...I simply could never use the harnesses. They restricted trimmer movement too much...until I got tired one day and modded it with a bungee. I'm (quickly) becoming an old man, now my shoulder can carry the weight, and I can move and extend the trimmer as required. Like I said, I can even do a full on one handed long reach extension under some of my pine trees...under control. It works for me and lessens my weekly burden.

The beauty of this mod is that you can add bungees for heavy trimmers, or use them in a straight line pull for more extension (loop configuration like I show will halve the extension).

I am not a lawn care professional by any stretch of the imagination, but years ago I had mower problems and was faced with buying a new mower or throwing good money after bad to repair my existing one. I had some people quote just mowing the yard so I had a full picture of my financial options. I found that I could easily make payments on the nicest diesel zero turn mower I could find for what they wanted to mow the yard! Mrs. Engineer has always enjoyed mowing, so now she has a nice mower to do it with. Usually she takes off mowing and I take off trimming. It takes a team effort, but the place usually looks pretty good.
                            I'll say that the bungee idea is money. Basically I'm just not a fan of stihl but, since you have a stihl work it till it it quits. And stay cool while you're doing it. It's to damn hot to be cutting grass anyway.
                            sigpic
                            Weber 22.5 kettle
                            Smokin in the Smokies
                            Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                            Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by fishermanlawncare View Post
                              It's to damn hot to be cutting grass anyway.
                              Tru-Dat! Heat index today of 105° +

I've got to bring in a few yards of dirt to feather in around the new driveway...prolly gonna wait on that one.
                              BBQ Eng.

Comment

Working...
                              X