Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried this for the first time this morning. I never realized there is a membrane in there that looks a lot like what you pull off the back of ribs.

This thread should be pinned to the top or copy/pasted into the pork butt tutorial. I read it a few weeks ago and had a hard time finding it again.

Thanks Rich

Comment

Tried it for the first time this week...I guess I need to practice a bit more...I split two butts and ended up with five pieces........
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        Tried it for the first time this week...I guess I need to practice a bit more...I split two butts and ended up with five pieces........
        Me too but not until I picked one up to flip it over after 3 hours. It broke right in half.

Comment

Turned out good. I did a pan of baked beans at the last minute. Left 1/2 of a butt on a 14 inch grate sitting above the pan of beans with some peppers, onions bacon and the smaller pieces of butt that were going to get over cooked. Foiled the rest of the pieces.

Turned out good

Comment

Glad to hear. It does make it easier to pull and quicker to cook. And more barq~!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

BTT for reference....
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
              Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I'm gonna try this again for the 4th. I made an attempt the last time I cooked a butt but gave up as I could not get the butt to corporate.
                Stumps Baby
                Bubba Keg Convection Grill
                Digi Q
                Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
                Custom end grain cutting board
                Superfast Yellow Thermapen
                18 " Smoke Vault
                12" AMNTS
                AMNPS
                Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Hey guys I'm new to this site and still learning the art & craft of GR8 Q just wondering if this split method does internal temp still need to get in 190-200 range any info would be gr8 thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by matt-u View Post
                    Hey guys I'm new to this site and still learning the art & craft of GR8 Q just wondering if this split method does internal temp still need to get in 190-200 range any info would be gr8 thanks guys
                    IMO yes, or where your butt is probe tender, and or, ready to separate easily (pull) which seems to be in the 195-205* range from my experience.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      IMO yes, or where your butt is probe tender, and or, ready to separate easily (pull) which seems to be in the 195-205* range from my experience.
                      X2 any pulled pork will be at 195*-205
                      sigpic
                      Weber 22.5 kettle
                      Smokin in the Smokies
                      Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                      Jerry

Comment

from Western North Carolina
                        sigpic
                        Weber 22.5 kettle
                        Smokin in the Smokies
                        Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                        Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by matt-u View Post
                          Yep - just quicker there and easier to clean and pull. Less grease in the trap too.

Welcome!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

bumped to thank you Rich...

got a couple 8+ pounders yesterday,,,
                            will use this method!!!
                            ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                            ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              It was that 8" boner that got me too..
                              somethings just sound odd when you read a thread backwards
                              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

just gave the split a try on a single 8lb'r,,, no problemo...

split,,, trimmed,,, mustarded,,, hunkyfied an wrapped...

my notes say 250-275 or even a tad hotter,,, yes spritz now an again...
                                wrap around 160 or so,,,
                                195-205 is finish and healthy rest hey???

thanks again Rich...
                                ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                                ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Working...
                                X