Grilled pompano with tropical BBQ glaze and coconut Jasmine rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled pompano with tropical BBQ glaze and coconut Jasmine rice

Tried pompano in April when we hit up the Asian market, really liked this recipe so I picked up 2 yesterday.

I misunderstood him last time, thought he asked if I wanted them cleaned I said yes. Well what he said was "clean cut" which they just cut vertically on the the fish giving you pieces. Now I knew and just had him leave whole. Also picked up a sea perch. Got to watch the mercury intake in this house now so I fileted it to be froze

Pompano filets got salt and pepper and onto the GMG at 240.

Picked up a big bag of jasmine rice for $5, I'd pay $5 for a small bag at local stores. I love this place! Anyways 2 cans of coconut milk, some water, bit of sugar, and a pinch of salt. Got that warm and added the rice. Brought to a boil and covered and let simmer.
    At same time was making the glaze. Mango nectar, apricot preserves, honey, lime juice and rind, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Simmer till reduced.
    Back to fish, hit an internal of 120 so I put on some glaze. Took to 147IT

Plated

Pompano is a little more fishy than I like, but I still do like this fish especially with this glaze. Rice was good, could have used a bit more coconut taste for me. Thanks for looking!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    sigpic

they fast little fighters with the rod from the beach...Mark will tell ya they eat right nice...he may get the bigger one's off his kayak!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Well I don't catch fish like that in Kansas...
      But I like the way you make it look...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Mon, the first pic might be pompano, but doesn't look right.

The second pic is tilapia, not pompano.

Pompano look kinda like this,

Dish looks great!! Nicely done!

I hope ya noticed the fish did not look at all the same.
        I hope they did not charge ya pompano price for that.

For future reference. Tilapia is one fish I will NOT buy or eat. (JMHO) They are farm raised....in Southeast Aisia.....in conditions...farm raised shrimp either for the same reasons. They are survivors, the will thrive in putrid conditions.

Nice cook ya did good!!!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

First pic looks like they cut off the tail and all the fins...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            Mon, the first pic might be pompano, but doesn't look right.

The second pic is tilapia, not pompano.

Pompano look kinda like this,

Dish looks great!! Nicely done!

I hope ya noticed the fish did not look at all the same.
            I hope they did not charge ya pompano price for that.

For future reference. Tilapia is one fish I will NOT buy or eat. (JMHO) They are farm raised....in Southeast Aisia.....in conditions...farm raised shrimp either for the same reasons. They are survivors, the will thrive in putrid conditions.

Nice cook ya did good!!!
            No that second pic is what they call sea perch, from what I've gathered it might be barramundi which can be called sea perch. From what I've read there are a couple different pompano. Paid $3.99/lb both. The pompano weighed just over a pound.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              No that second pic is what they call sea perch, from what I've gathered it might be barramundi which can be called sea perch. From what I've read there are a couple different pompano. Paid $3.99/lb both. The pompano weighed just over a pound.
              Good call at $3.99lb! Sea perch/barramundi is very similar (to talapia) and is also farm raised but much "healthier" than talapia!
              Good choices!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Good call at $3.99lb! Sea perch/barramundi is very similar (to talapia) and is also farm raised but much "healthier" than talapia!
                Good choices!
                If I recall they both said wild caught, now wether that's true or no I can't say. We just can't get much for fish here. That's why I love this place, majority of fish is around $3.99. Think next time might try milkfish or Norway mackerel.
                sigpic

Comment

If I recall they both said wild caught, now wether that's true or no I can't say. We just can't get much for fish here. That's why I love this place, majority of fish is around $3.99. Think next time might try milkfish or Norway mackerel.
                  Wish I had a market like that near here...
                  Some folks have to learn to ...like...Tilapia...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Ryan, where did you take those pics and why the blood ? Were they not cleaned (guts and gills not removed)? That should have been done before they were shipped to a store. Could have been one of the reasons for the fishy taste.

I'm sorry, but I agree with Mark, those don't look like Pompano. They look more like small Jacks of some kind. Another reason for fishy taste.
                    Pompano should have a very mild sweet taste.

barramundi is usually called a type of sea bass but is a type of perch. They are usually a much larger harvested fish. Their flesh is white and flakey. That is very small for a barramundi.

I also agree with Mark about tilapia, I will not eat it.

I like they way you cooked them. I'm sure they were good eating.
                    Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-17-2017, 09:50 PM.
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Wish I had a market like that near here...
                      Some folks have to learn to ...like...Tilapia...
                      Don't take my word, Google is your friend (sometimes)! Look them up and how they used before ya buy!
                      I'm lucky here with fish, it's all fresh! But venison is hard ta come by and elk is a picture....... Bear, not allowed ta!
                      Mark
                      sigpic

Comment

Lets back up a couple steps.
                        There are more than one species of pompano, those are not familiar to me. Might be Pacific?? IDK! But if you are in the middle in the Country ya gotta trust what the fishmonger tells ya, not much choice! At least yall gettin fish, sorta fresh! All good!!!!!!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

Lets back up a couple steps.
                          There are more than one species of pompano, those are not familiar to me. Might be Pacific?? IDK! But if you are in the middle in the Country ya gotta trust what the fishmonger tells ya, not much choice! At least yall gettin fish, sorta fresh! All good!!!!!!
                          According to Wikipedia there's about 20 different species of pompano. What I got looked exactly as the one in the pic in the link http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/sf_pompcz.html
                          Also I only use the camera on the phone, probably not best pic. And yes they do cut off the fins for a guy.

Don't really have an answer about the blood. There was just a little in each bag.

We don't get much for fish choices locally. We've got catfish (not a big fan) can get frozen Pollock and cod. If they have fresh salmon it's usually around $8-9 a pound, sorry but I can get a ribeye for that. Grocery store sold some swai filets cheap and we really liked it, but then research and it's one of the worst fish to eat. And yes we can get tilapia, we do get it about once every 2 months. We just don't eat much fish.

Craig check the big cities by you for an Asian market. I check their specials before we make a trip when we go about every 2 months. Still need to try the shrimp, good size ones for $6/pound.
                          sigpic

Comment

According to Wikipedia there's about 20 different species of pompano. What I got looked exactly as the one in the pic in the link http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/sf_pompcz.html
                            Also I only use the camera on the phone, probably not best pic. And yes they do cut off the fins for a guy.

Don't really have an answer about the blood. There was just a little in each bag.

We don't get much for fish choices locally. We've got catfish (not a big fan) can get frozen Pollock and cod. If they have fresh salmon it's usually around $8-9 a pound, sorry but I can get a ribeye for that. Grocery store sold some swai filets cheap and we really liked it, but then research and it's one of the worst fish to eat. And yes we can get tilapia, we do get it about once every 2 months. We just don't eat much fish.

Craig check the big cities by you for an Asian market. I check their specials before we make a trip when we go about every 2 months. Still need to try the shrimp, good size ones for $6/pound.
                            Yea, I found a "New" oriental market yesterday. The size of a large grocery store. The number of different fish they have in the freezer is wild. Lotta stuff I've never heard of. They have tanks of live dungenous, lobster, oscar, eel, shrimp, tilapia and a couple that weren't labeled. I need to get a pic, it's kinda wild to see. Yea, live shrimp for eating, not bait - never seen that before.
                            They had large shrimp for $4.99lb, but no sign of wild caught or farm raised. Guy behind the counter didn't speak English (or didn't want to), so I passed. Was real tempting though.
                            Jim it's in the shopping center N W corner of 49th St and Park Blvd. Take a look, it's huge and very clean!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Mango nectar, apricot preserves, honey, lime juice and rind, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Simmer till reduced.
                              Sounds interessstink, haffta try dat!
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X