Thin Blade Knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Blade Knives?

I have a nice mixed set of Wusthof and Henckels and a couple other filet knives and they are great, no complaints. BUT! I really like the Thin Blades of a set I have had for several years, called Kiwi. They were cheap, don't hold an edge very well, and are prone to "denting"or whatever you want to call it on the edges. Sounds like great gear right? Well, it's not very high quality, butt cuts certain stuff 2x faster/easier than some of me main gear.

Does anybody have any Thin Blade knives, moderately priced, that they use and would recommend? I like low maintenance, and prefer low to moderate cost. Shun ceramic is out, as I heard one of our members dropped it into the sink while hand washing and the blade broke. Looking for something that "thrives on neglect" Just me
    sigpic

Here is my kit. The two on the right are thin blade knives. A six inch shun and a wusthof flexible. These are great knives. Razor sharp. A little pricey but are work horses.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Weber 22.5 kettle
    Smokin in the Smokies
    Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
    Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Dog BBQ View Post
      Here is my kit. The two on the right are thin blade knives. A six inch shun and a wusthof flexible. These are great knives. Razor sharp. A little pricey but are work horses.

Here is a better picture.

sigpic
      Weber 22.5 kettle
      Smokin in the Smokies
      Jerry

Comment

Very nice!

Of the 2 thin blade knives on the right, which one would you choose, if you could only have 1 to use?

Just curious.

I have a few serrated edge Wusthof's that I use for either carving
        Or/and bread cutting, etc.

I think a non serrated (straight) edge is what I am really after. That Shun looks nice
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Very nice!

Of the 2 thin blade knives on the right, which one would you choose, if you could only have 1 to use?

Just curious.

I have a few serrated edge Wusthof's that I use for either carving
          Or/and bread cutting, etc.

I think a non serrated (straight) edge is what I am really after. That Shun looks nice
          The shun for sure but the knife to the left of the steel is my favorite miyabi I grab it before any of the others.

sigpic
          Weber 22.5 kettle
          Smokin in the Smokies
          Jerry

Comment

The shun for sure but the knife to the left of the steel is my favorite miyabi I grab it before any of the others.

The wusthof flexible is a very good fish fillet knife.

sigpic
            Weber 22.5 kettle
            Smokin in the Smokies
            Jerry

Comment

Thanks! Is Miyabi the brand? Just starting to research.

Edit: Miyabi is the brand I see on Amazon... I can't afford that good of gear

Checking them oot though now..... maybe they make a butter knife I can justify buying
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks! Is Miyabi the brand? Just starting to research.

Edit: Miyabi is the brand I see on Amazon... I can't afford that good of gear [emoji38]

Checking them oot though now..... maybe they make a butter knife I can justify buying [emoji38]
                I waited over a year to get it on sale for 1/2 price. The only way I could afford it.

sigpic
                Weber 22.5 kettle
                Smokin in the Smokies
                Jerry

Comment

I waited over a year to get it on sale for 1/2 price. The only way I could afford it.

Good call!

If you ever see them go on sale again, let us (ME ) know please. Reviews look good

Thanks for the info / replies
                  sigpic

Comment

Found most of my "good" knives at thrift stores or estate sales. I use and abuse knifes especially during deer season. I am not ready to quarter a deer with a shun.....well maybe if I had one.

I use a flexible blade for boning and trimming. I use to use a regular filet knife but now I usually grab a dexter, I have a couple of others but they are a little softer and dull quicker.

My favorite as of late is a thin carbon steel knife I found. Easy to keep sharp, semi flexible like a filet knife but has a little weight behind it.

I was thinking the other day I should sell all my collection and buy one or two real nice knives.

Comment

I didn't think I needed a high end knife until I got one. Now I can't go without them. Keep in mind though I cut for hours a day. Lots of preparation for a scratch made restaurant. [emoji482]

sigpic
                      Weber 22.5 kettle
                      Smokin in the Smokies
                      Jerry

Comment

YA know.. for alot of purposes... I really like my Rapalla filet knife. Hard enough to hold an edge a while..soft enough to dress easily.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          YA know.. for alot of purposes... I really like my Rapalla filet knife. Hard enough to hold an edge a while..soft enough to dress easily.
                          now i got some of them & never use em...gonna pull en out of retirement!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thin Blade Knives?

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Yes indeed! First trout I ever cleaned, and nearly all of them since were via the old wood handle Rapala.

Here's a classic from the old trout creel, now displayed at the ManCave bar. Probably needs a touch up on the edge lol
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes indeed! First trout I ever cleaned, and nearly all of them since were via the old wood handle Rapala.

Here's a classic from the old trout creel, now displayed at the ManCave bar. Probably needs a touch up on the edge lol
                              Louie...wth? you doin? getting my (you claimed it) tomato slicing knife from 1972...awww...hell no jackass...you leave that in the camper! ...aight the big blade you bought me in 82...nope it ain't happenin...glass of wine... don't touch it...my blades...my camper...snore your ass off in there when we go racin/campin...leave my blades alone!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X